1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant It's started! [Arachno-warning]

Discussion in 'General' started by Zinfandel, 17 Aug 2010.

1. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

LOL +rep

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

LOL they do have that sort of look about them.

I tried to face my fear in a real sort of meaningful way once. I let my nephews Chille Rose tarantula (this) walk from my sisters hands, onto mine. Something inside my head sort of..I don't know.. flipped/broke. Was an odd sensation. My face must have been a picture though because my whole family erupted into fits of laughter. I don't think I've EVER been so freaked out. My brain was screaming at me to drop it. Took all I had not to. Thankfully my sister saved me by getting it to walk back into her hands.

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Staff Super Moderator

I think something is broken inside me. This one was about 3-4in across - luckily my other half was out at the time. I think it's a mesh-web spider or house spider. Super-quick moving ones. If they're in the house, I'm fine. However put them on one of their manky mesh-webs in a dark corner in a shed,with all the dead spiders and eggs around and the tingles start. Infact, I'd prefer to touch one of these in the house, than just a web in the shed!

[​IMG]

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

[​IMG]

mvagusta and Sloth like this.
  5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

They're pretty nice to handle once they slow down a bit. They just wander over your hands for ages. It's when you first startle them that they run stupidly fast, that's when I hate them. Now and then at 3am I glimpse one running along the floor at about 5mph and I **** myself.

6. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

Well although not afraid of spiders (don't think i'd go near a tarantula)

I have been bitten 3 times by them(unaware at the time) each time resulted in the bite getting infected and a course of anti-biotics.

Last time it happened was about a month ago in Switzerland, went to the doctors there and they gave me a 7 day course of 625mg:)( massive dosage, 3 of these a day) antibiotics as well as the same dosage and amount of ibuprofen.

I won't tell you what it did to my stomach :eyebrow:

7. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I've tried to conquer the fear in the past and was doing reasonably well until i went on holiday to Tunisia. I didn't even think that they might have some large ones. During a trip to El Djem, a roman Colosseum (and very cool I might add), we went under the arena where they held the slaves and animals i happened to look up and see a little vent type thing with a huge, manky looking web. Didn't think much of it. We walked a bit further and i looked up again and saw a huge great beast of a spider which would probably have covered my face. Roughly 8 seconds later i was above ground.

Tried it, couldn't do it, I'll stick to murdering them.

8. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Imagine if their size and speed were scaled up equally. House sized spiders moving at the speed of sound! You'll never hear them coming..

mvagusta likes this.
  9. stouffer

stouffer What's a Dremel?

I hate spiders, just moved into a new place and I seem to have been pretty lucky (only 1 so far) the last place I was at was terrible for great massive ones.

The phrase 'they're more scared of you than you are of them' really didn't apply to those things

10. boiled_elephant

I know, right? Cracked did an article on why that's physically impossible, why no animals can get above a certain size without losing out exponentially on mobility, speed, metabolism, etc. But it would be so cool if it was possible.

Picking tegenaria up daily now, I'm totally used to them. They don't bother me at all (except when their shitty climbing skills fail them and they fall directly onto your face - which has happened to me and several people I know.) I've got a baby one in a shot glass, want to see if it's possible to raise one. Figuring out what a 1mm-long spider can possibly eat was quite a challenge. (Answer: storm flies, small fruit flies and sap from plants. The moar you know.)

11. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Caught 3 spiders last night in our bathroom. They'd formed a mess of webs. Housemate doesn't get the concept that they'll come inside when you leave the window open. Idiot.

12. hugo60

hugo60 What's a Dremel?

Had a similarly sized one trying to sneak into my bedroom just now. Luckily managed to catch it though; definitely didn't consider picking it up and putting it on my hand haha.

13. boiled_elephant

That's pretty small for a tegenaria, too. All the ones this year so far have been like that, but in previous years we've had ones twice as big - easily cover your palm. I'm kinda waiting for one such to turn up so I can see if I've actually got the balls to try picking it up...

14. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I had a different one tonight (Getting cold now so imagine it should pick up again!).

It had a fat but small body and was dopey and dosile moving very slowly. It just kind of went "meh" when I caught it in a glass, the normal ones freak out.

Anyone know what it is?

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Welcome to Taiwan, anyone wanna come mountain climbing?

We get none in the cities (only roaches, like you would anywhere) but I'm pretty used to seeing the big black and yellow ones in the mountains. They are about the size of your hand.

On the plus side we also have some varied and huge butterflies here too! So beautiful!!

16. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Pray one of those spiders doesn't hump one of those butterflies :worried:

I've had a spider the size of an outstretched palm crawl up my arm and then on top of the gameboy thing I was playing. Spiders are very gentle, I thought it was just a bee buzzing around my arm or something like that, until suddenly he was in my face and then bricks were $hat.

I like playing with little spiders, and I like that they catch flies, but big ones have no place on earth imo.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The big ones are fun to watch from a distance. I did nearly walk face first into one of their webs though.

Lesson learnt: NEVER EVER STRAY OFF THE PATH. NEVER EVER BE FIRST UP THE PATH IN THE MORNING.

Early birds don't catch worms, they catch a face full of new-web.

18. boiled_elephant