1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iTunes & QuickTime security alert

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Sep 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

just use VLC and all is solved. gtkpod kicks itunes ass.

3. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Saying just use XXX isn't exactly a viable solution for the millions upon millions of people that use iTunes, iPods, iPhones etc etc.

It's an unfortunate flaw that needs addressing quickly.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

That's a bit of an 'oops' moment.

5. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

When he also suggests an IPod management program (gtkpod), your point becomes seriously redundant.

6. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Actually, the point is still very valid. The number of people who use iTunes is probably at least an order of magnitude bigger than the number of people who would even know how to install and use VLC and gtkpod, and then you have the ones like me who could do but actually like using iTunes for the most part and don't want to have to change and spend hours importing playlists and ratings to something new. A security flaw in the basic software for the most popular MP3 player in existence is a serious issue.

7. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh god. Sorry, But really, I told you guys when the first update came out.
    Your problem doesn't exist in the Program. Jus the fact that you actually own a product from this crappy company!

8. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

even with news like these apple fanboys will still say joo are all wrong, impossible!, apple stuff cannot be hacked!, now that is annoying :D

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i HATE it when quick time gives me the green screen....

10. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I have iTunes on my PC, but have not updated it since the initial install. I installed it so that my girlfriend could get my MP3s transferred to her iPod. I have also found it useful for downloading Podcasts from my favorite local radio station's morning show.

I wonder if the flaw affects earlier versions of the software?

11. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Back in the day, yeah you could get away with a third party program to update your iPod. But these days is that really the best choice? It's not longer about music and playlists, but games, calendars, contacts, notes, etc etc. The whole point of iTunes, iPods and iPhones, is that they just work (or not as in this case). You have software and hardware beautifully tailored to suit each other to a t.

What's so bad about that, that you'd prefer to choose another piece of software over what is the accepted norm in 98% of the case?

12. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

All of these 'possible' code execution exploits really need some form of planetary alignment worth of probabilities right? What a load of PR circle jerking... remember 'that' flaw with core 2's?

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nup. See the exploit linked to from the article. It's trivial to exploit, but requires user interaction (visiting a website hosting the code, or opening a malicious QuickTime file).

14. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

What a stupid thing to say.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Really? And what miraculous PC and software do you use, oh wise one, that makes you invulnerable to crashes and security flaws?

Give me a break. Every platform and program has its flaws. It's better to know about them than to live with a delusional sense of safety. Ignorance is not only bliss, it makes you look like an idiot too.

16. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Wow. Just wow. You stated a claim without backing it whatsoever. Nevertheless, I'm interested to see what you can come up with (if you even bother). It's always mildly intriguing to see what sort of tosh complete imbeciles can come up with these days.

Tags: Add Tags