1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iTunes swamped for the holidays

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 28 Dec 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

news.... finally.... and good news at that.... thank god no one gave me a ipod.... it sucks anyway.

3. jezmck

jezmck Well-Known Member

troll!

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i prefer another sync system..... i realy dont like itunes.

5. airchie

airchie New Member

Hehe, when I first got my nano on the day of release I was amazed.
    then I installed iTunes to transfer some music to it and the shine wore off big time.
    Then I used the nano and while it lasted a while and did what it said on the tin, itunes was really pissing me off.
    Then I discovered Anapod Explorer and thought it was as good as it could get.

Then a few days ago I discovered Rockbox and now my iPod is AWESOME!!!

I can now transfer music to it as if it was a USB pendrive, no more being tied to itunes.
    I can now browse my music on the player by folder structure instead of the crappy ipod DB method.
    I now have waaaay more options and can have my cake and eat it!

Anyone who has an ipod and doesn't like itunes and wants to play music on their player by simply dragging and dropping it on there in explorer and then browsing to it on the ipod should check out Rockbox!

It runs linux on your ipod, supports way more formats including lossless FLAC format, its completey reversible if you want to revert to the apple firmware, its skinable.

I just can't get over how much better it is.

Doit! :)

6. flabber

flabber New Member

Well, how on earth could some lame analist-company (or something) state that
    iTunes is selling about 60% LESS songs? Some people clearly don't know what
    they're talking about.

Regarding the iTS;
    Some people like it, some people don't. There's nothing wrong with personal
    preferences. But that doesn't mean that it sucks, as DXR says. It has a lot of
    room for improvements, but at the moment it's also clearly one of the biggest
    (if not thé biggest) at this time. :)

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Personally I'm not a fan of Ipods, there are much better Mp3 devices out there, most of them for a fraction of the price.

However I am a fan of Itunes, I never buy music from the online stores mind you. But i do find that if you take the time out to set-up itunes exactly how you want it then it's very functional and one of the best prgrams at what it does....shame about that memory leak er...

8. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

I hate iPod, it's not the best player in terms of codecs battery build quality etc etc. I seriously believe that satan is now Mr Jobs bestest buddy (Satan's bestest buddies include GWBush BGates and Martha Stewart) and to buy Apple is to become an iWhore sell your iSoul to the iDevil you then live out the rest of your iLife until you end up in iHell to suffer your iTorture (bloody iPrefix)

but I'm still gonna get one, why? because it's the only player that has accessories made for it (eg clip on iTrip) new cars (or car stereos) come with iPod connectors, nothing is mp3-player ready or HiMD ready it's always ipod ready.

I'll install Rockbox or similar on my future ipod (I'll see if any support xvid etc)

9. airchie

airchie New Member

I hear you fitzy.
    Every 3rd-party add-on seems to be for ipods.
    But, until people vote with their wallets and buy others, there will be no demand for 3rd-party add-ons for other players.
    Its a downward spiral... :(

I'm sure itunes isn't THAT bad but I hated it even after persivering with it for ages to get it working the way I wanted.
    In the tech-support forums I moderate I've lost count of the number of posts from new and old users who are upset that they let itunes manage their tunes and it messed them up for them!

Winamp and Rockbox fortehwin IMO! :)

10. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Active Member

It's easy to bash.. some do it to be 'different', to stand out and not be a part of a majority crowd.

But heck to those people, I reckon that Jobs should be praised for what he has done

Because for those non techies out there (and they outnumber us many times-to-one), iTunes and iPods are a veritable boon (not a bane) to anyone with even a slight interest in internet music - and you don't have to be a tech-nut to use it.

Everything is far more transparent and easier for the average user and it's relatively cheap.

What you guys forget, in a 'tech snob' sort of way is that once it gets mainstreamed it's not tech enough any more; the technology, the infrastructure, the hardware just became old news and new ammunition for those who are more predisposed to rebel.

Remember that the average Joe, who make up most of the million or so new sales of iPods are not tech snobs who rate sound fidelity, tech bells and whistles and what nots . They rate ease of use, price and looks - and the iPod, with iTunes has all of that.

Talk to a car nut and he'll probably bore you with BHP, PSI, MPH, KPH, blah blah blah when all you car about is how much it'll cost you, how does it drive and does it look good. Much is the same with the MP3 player world.

11. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

I don't have a problem with companies making stuff for j. average, it supports the research for all the nice enthusiast stuff they make :) (ok maybe not apple)

Including more codecs (which is my biggest issue with the ipod itself) would make everything easier for joe average (try explaining ipod video convertors to some of them*) if ipod could play anything# then content (video in particular) would be so much simpler.

*Yes people who are this technilogically impared probably won't care
    #Yes this does depend on hardware capabilities

Tags: Add Tags