1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards ITX Anonymous Club

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 11 Jun 2016.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I do still have a DAN A4 - but my computer is in a room with 3 fish tanks and so there is quite a bit of humidity, and so I had to get something which was more closed off. Hence the appeal of the Shift.

Arboreal likes this.
  2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

The Winter One looks excellent - I'm in no massive hurry, so I'll keep my eye on that. Thanks all - the amount of scalpers selling stuff for silly money at the moment is really irritating.

Goatee and Arboreal like this.
  3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah - upgrade plans for Sprog2 - I have transplanted his PC into my Evolv Shift (I bought a mesh side panel for the GPU side), but I still want to get him a CM NR200; mainly so I can have a play with it.

Arboreal likes this.
  4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Mesh panel, just looked at that and it's a speaker front grille! I was expecting metal mesh like the M1 or small hole steel stuff.

Luckily I only have one to contend with. Bigfella is at Uni with a brilliant business Thinkpad and doesn't use a PC of his own at home.
    OMGstartingdrivingthisyear daughter has a lovely white SG13 with an unusual H170 ITX board that runs DDR3...

5. jinq-sea

I did a full water build for the younger one in an Evolv ITX (it's what he wanted), it's starting to get a bit long in the tooth. Since I stopped being quite as much of an enthusiast, I've had nothing to hand down.

The Evolv ITX was good for a full loop, but it's a big ITX case!

6. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

i really need to block myself from this thread. You're all making my bank account wobble. torn on buying or going DIY for my next case

7. jinq-sea

Idiot me can't get a GIF to work. So something about the dark side something something complete.

8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Meshlicious (collaboration between guy behind FormD and Lian Li) is another option that will hopefully be available pretty soon. Although 15L so maybe a bit "boring" for a SFF case.

Plus there might be more IQUNIX ZX-1s in stock. Not an awful option if you get it at the early-bird price. Plus if you want to try some case modding, trying to cram in a 280mm top radiator seems like it could be a good project.

I have spent waaaaay too much money on new PC parts in the past 3 months.

Arboreal likes this.
  9. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I literally cannot wait. The black looks awesome, I'm almost a bit gutted I decided to wait for the silver.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2021
  10. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Also the Mjolinar is looking good for those not liking it too wet:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. el2k

el2k Modder

12. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

13. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Well, just because someone puts it up for that price doesn't mean that's what it's worth, but they are pretty rare (only a few batches produced), and people are playing a lot for T1s atm.

14. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Hi everyone - I've been thinking of sticking some fans under the GPU in my NCase to keep it quiet, but due to the chonk-ness of my GPU only slim fans would fit. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Does it make enough difference to be worth it? I imagine removing the dust filter would probably be more effective, but I'm not convinced the components will appreciate me doing so

15. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Currently rocking 2x 120mm thin noctuas under my gpu in the ncase.

I have a blower card so I have plenty of space and could have opted for the non thin option too, just happened to have them lying around.

Omnislip and Arboreal like this.
  16. David

Yep Noctua NF-A12x15 fans are ideal for this - I have a pair of them under my 2070 in an M1.

Although, depending on your GPU - de-shrouding and using a pair of full fat A12x25s could also be an option. It's quite niche and much depends on spacing and the type of cooler on your card - check out Optimum tech's de-shroud mod for more info.

Omnislip and Arboreal like this.
  17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I have a pair of 25mm Noctuas under my 2070 (open cooler, not blower) in my M1 and they made quite a difference - I notice that the GPU doesn't need to spin up its fans nearly as much, so it's far quieter for a given temperature, and it boosts higher. Ultimately it still throttles at 80ish degrees C, but it runs faster at that temperature than it did world the fans, and takes longer to hit the thermal limit.

As an aside, I did try fans under my previous GPU, which was a blower, and it made sweet FA difference, mainly I think because the blower shroud is much more closed off so air doesn't really get in to the card itself as easily.

Omnislip likes this.
  18. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Thanks for the recommendations - the general view online seems a bit all over the place - some saying it doesn't make much difference (as fat card fans are close to the bottom of the case anyway) and others reporting big improvements.

Looks easy to deshroud my Vega Pulse (a video finally was uploaded half a year ago () so I'll give that a go today. Fingers crossed some F12s should cut it - sure they aren't the Noctuas, but should blow away the little GPU fans regardless.

David likes this.
  19. David

I'd be interested to know how you get on @Omnislip - the potential for improving cooling whilst reducing noise is huge, but I'd like to know what practical hurdles you encounter, if any.

20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Oh, fwiw I use the Noctua low noise adaptors and have a separate fan profile for gaming. Ideally I'd have the case floor fans linked to GPU temperature...