1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards ITX Anonymous Club

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 11 Jun 2016.

1. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Depends on the clear out I have going on atm. I only game at 1080p, and quietness is an important factor

2. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I really want to trim the at cables down, but I have never done anything like that before.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Did my ITX HTPC in Node 202 today. Lucky me, a 59mm fan fits with the dust filter removed, even if the specs say 56mm max :
    [​IMG]

I could tie up the cables, but they are so tightly packed that it would be a waste of zip ties.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Is it me, or have you not taken the plastic off the motherboard heatsink......

OH MY GOD IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY

5. faugusztin

I probably did not, didn't even notice it is there. I will do it for your mental health.

I wish i could say what is the power consumption of it in idle, but my power meter says 0VA whent his PC is connected to it with the Corsair SF450 power supply.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:hehe::hehe::hehe:

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

If anyone ever sees a NFC Systems S4 Mini for sale second hand - let me know! I want it so badly, but I'll be throwing over £100 on a new PSU alone for it, and with the £ as it is at the moment, its too expensive to buy new.

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I'm thinking of making the switch to itx but would like to carry over my current PSU (180mm) & GPU (260mm) and I'd like to have an optical drive too.

Any reasonably priced case recommendations with half-decent cooling? (The Core V1 looks great but lacks the optical drive).

9. faugusztin

10. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

11. faugusztin

120 vs 140 radiator, i don't think there is that much difference.

And on other side, i made a mistake - the CPU cooler i bought is too big, so i couldn't fit the outtake fan :D :

[​IMG]

Gladius Q50 Pure Black, Fortis 3 HE1425, ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE, i7-2600K, 2x8GB DDR3-1600, 840 EVO 500GB, Seasonic X-460FL (because that is what i had as spare).

12. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

^That is a tight fit. :)

Hmm. I suppose I could mount a bigger radiator "on the roof" if need be. I've always liked the idea of attaching a rad to the outside of a case so I might just do that anyway.

13. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Ordered a Z87i-Deluxe for my new build. At the moment, I'm working up my Enthoo Evolv ITX for it, before I go into the hospital and can't do anything for a few months. 290X should be enough for 1920x1080, right? Should get this to drive the TV. However, I may end up with the 4k. At that point, what should I get?

14. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

^ Coincidentally, I've just ordered a Z97i-Plus for my ITX build. Not as many power phases as your board but hopefully it should be able to handle a decent overclock (reviews are favourable).

I'm still undecided on cooling. I've been looking around the huge selection of AIO coolers available and can't seem to make my mind up.

So far, the following seem to offer good performance for the money, does anyone have any experience or opinions on any of them, or any other recommendations?

Antec Kuhler h1200 ~£60 - cheapest 240mm solution I've seen.

Cooler Master Nepton 140XL ~£60 (heavily discounted) - 140mm rad, seems to perform very well but uses very powerful (noisy) fans.

Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 120 ~£60 - very thick 120mm rad, seems to punch well above its weight.

15. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Edit
    Kayin, good to hear you're building again and still with us - good luck in hospital, fella

A pair of very nice Asus ITX boards there guys [saw the pics elsewhere], enjoy the SFF adventure ahead.
    Asus really have pushed the boundaries on ITX; the P8Z77-I Deluxe kicked off the VRM/power riser - very handsome card in that iridescent blue. Not so keen on the 8 series yellow, but a great board.
    If that wasn't enough, the Impact series have taken it to a new level.
    Shame they haven't had the bravery to go X99 ITX, props to Asrock on that one.

Edit: faugusztin - just saw your P8Z77-I Deluxe from yesterday, the case looks like a Raijintek Metis rebadge - very understated in black. Hope you can get enough airflow in there to keep it cool

Last edited: 6 Aug 2016
  16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, i7-6700k, GTX 980, 256GB M.2, 2TB SSHD and a 240mm AIO.

All inside my recently aquired EVGA Hadron Air.

No pics yet - I'm about to try and shoehorn an NZXT Hue+ and a few LED strips in there first.

17. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Hadron Air you say? Nice one Spreadie - this and the 'other' new rig :thumb:

I don't recall seeing a Hadron Air build here on BT

18. faugusztin

Yes, it is similar, but not identical. And yes, it is a good enough, the side panel has holes in it, i rotated it around, so it now has holes above the PSU area, where is also the intake for the CPU fan.

19. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Cheers Arboreal, it's going to be hard abandoning my 13 year old Cooler Master ATCS201 case but I can see the appeal of these smaller systems.

Besides, I'm blaming Spreadie. Since he sold me his GTX780 a couple of weeks ago, the shortcomings of the rest of my current geriatric system have been laid bare. Sure, it plays BF4 like a champ, but Metro 2033 Redux... not so much.

See, all his fault. :)

Edit:
    I've ordered a case and memory: Carbide Air 240 (OCUK Grade B for about £45 so fingers crossed that it's OK) and 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Tactical, "only" 1600MHz but pretty good value I thought at £52 delivered (Amazon), and cas8 too instead of the usual 9 or more.

Only the processor and AIO to go :clap: (although I can use my current (air) cooler - an old Titan Fenrir - to see me through if needs must, although I'll have to leave the side off the Carbide if I do 'cos the Fenrir is too tall. :) )

Last edited: 7 Aug 2016
  20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ended up selling my mini itx has and buying a b150n-gsm... and a Fractal R4 for my 7 drives. The R4 is bigger than my x99 rig in my in win 805 /fail

Z77i was a great board, better than the first impact imo for features