1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress ITX Mk I

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vognen, 21 Aug 2015.

1. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

Haha yeah, I know it attacks the plastics, but if you wipe it off when you've removed the tape leftovers it shouldn't have time to react. At least in my experience.

2. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

Custom Reservoir in the making

So I've finally found some time in between starting at University and doing some semi-serious running/biking, and I've managed to finish the built-in reservoir :naughty:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took its time to get it done, and I had to make the G1/4 threads with an old fitting, real ghetto-style, but it's working, since a professional cutting tap cost 20 £, which was a bit expensive to cut 3 holes.

And here's a few extra shots with the lights off, and some UV-light
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm gluing the case itself together now, and after that the painting will start. I've also bought all the remaining bits and pieces for the watercooling. Can't wait to start putting it all together :rock:

Also: I can't seem to edit my thread title. Could an admin take a look at it?

'till next time...

3. Icelander

Icelander Minimodder

try to go at your first post and select Go Advanced and then try find out from there to edit first post and the threads title...

4. Frido

Frido Minimodder

Cool Vognen, hope your case wins the MOTM, and let's see more of it if it's not already finished?

Go for it, du kan gøre det :-D

/Frido

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Someone got kinda wild with the glue, man!:lol: I hope you didn't get it in your eye. You have some cleanup in the future.

Wait -is that silicone? Silicone can be trouble with pressurized loops. It tends to pop open anywhere there's a smooth surface join.

6. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

Thank you very much! I've actually been so busy with university for the last month and a half, that I didn't even notice I got nominated. Even though I didn't win, I'm still honoured to be mentioned. To me it's like a small seal of approval to my work, which just inspires me even more :D

I had some problems getting the glue to seal, so I just went crazy overboard and decided to "rather be safe, than sorry" :lol:

Also it's not silicone. It's small pieces of acryllic dissolved in acetone. I don't know what the technique is called in English, but loosely translated it's "plastic welding"

7. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

Fastning the sides

Don't worry! The project is NOT dead. I have just been super busy for the last month and a half, plus I actually forgot to turn on e-mail notifications for my thread :duh: I also saw I got nominated for MotM, and I would like to express how big an honour I feel it is to be nominated. There's so many good mods, so many good worklogs here at bit-tech.net, and to be mentioned is beyond my wildest imagination. I know I didn't win, but I still feel it's a big pat on my shoulder, and a thumbs up to my project and my worklog. Thank you ALL of you, for your interest, and I hope you will all keep following me to the end :)

Now... Back to what this is all about: modding :dremel:

First off I want to show a new piece of hardware I managed to get my hands on. As I wrote on my first page, I didn't know what RAM I would be using, but... Now it's solved. I managed to get my hands on a set of 2x4 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 Mhz, CL11. Major overkill, but this entire PC project is kinda overkill, and the looks are killer! They cost me slightly more than a new set of Kingston HyperX Fury, but you just can't beat the delicious look of the Dominator Platinum heatsinks

[​IMG]

And I also had to test mount them in my motherboard to see how it looks :naughty:
    [​IMG]

The last thing left for me to do on the case itself, is to finish the sides. For the purpose I bought an L-profile 15x15x1mm aluminium, and to cut out the M3 threads I bought a tap set. Nothing expensive, but for the work I had to do it was excellent. Tappin' out the first couple of holes
    [​IMG]

Fast forward about 2 hours, and I was finally able to mount the sides:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've gone ahead and countersunk the screws. It took some extra time, but I think it'll all be worth it in the end
    [​IMG]

Mhmmm... So tasty and clean looking!.. Now if only I could find some countersunk 6-32 screws. In Denmark we use the metric system, so it's all M3 and such over here :sigh:

Next thing up would be painting the sides, cutting out an air inlet on the backside for the 240 rad to get some air, and after that I will start the adventure known as sleeving your PSU!!!

I'll try and make updates more often, since the date I need to be finished has now been set at 14th November. It's the yearly LAN at the university, and I'd really like to bring along my PC to showcase my hard work. As always feel free to ask questions, post comments, add suggestions etc.

- Vognen

8. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

Sleeving the PSU​

So I'm back already! As I said time's now of the essence. Only a month left to get this baby done. This was my first attempt ever at sleeving, so please be somewhat gentle with me. I went for shrinkless paracord. It's not the easiest thing to start out with, but I'm happy about the result :)

Started out with this mess. The previous owner had been messing with the cables as well, so everything was covered in electric tape
    [​IMG]

After I had removed it, it was time to get started. I have invested in a 3 £ magnifying glass with clamps, and boy it made everything a million times easier. In terms of my soldering skills, they're by no means amazing, but with a little help from Dr. YouTube it all went smooth
    [​IMG]

The 24 pin plug finished. Already looking a lot better than the standard sleeve from Silverstone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fast forward about 12 hours, and I was done with everything. Of course I had to try and plug it in inside the case, and I'm so excited about it :blush:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's going to be a tight fit inside the case, but everything should be able to fit inside of it. Maybe a rev. 2 should be just 2 cm wider :p

'till next time!

- Vognen

9. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

Mini update

Hey everybody. Just a quick update on what's up and down with the project. I've soldered an LED-strip to the sidepanel, and I think it looks really good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for the sad part. It turns out my motherboard has died on me. It was working when I bought it, but 7 months in storage has done something to it. When I hooked it up to test it with my hardware only RAM-slot B was working. I tried to reset the CMOS, but after that has been done, it's not working AT ALL. I've contacted the dealer, and I have to send it for RMA. I really hope I'll get a replacement motherboard or the money back, because if I don't, I will have to put the project on hold for a while due to lack of funds. Cross your fingers guys

10. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

"In the darkest hour, light will appear on the horizon"- Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Jokes aside. It looks like I have found my saviour. I have been scouring the net for a replacement motherboard, and it looks like I have finally found one! p0Pe needs no introduction on this board, and as everyone probably knows he's Danish too. I took a lucky swing and messaged him, asking if he had a LGA 1150 ITX board lying around and io and behold, he has! So friday I'm going to pick up a Asus Maximus Impact VI and a Corsair Force 128 gb SSD. The last two missing parts, just in time for me to finish the mod for the upcoming LAN. Keep an eye out during the next couple of days, I should be done Friday evening

11. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

The last bits and pieces

Hey everybody. The case has been coated with a sealer to make it easier to clean it without ruining the paint. I didn't get to finish the mod though. The board I received from p0Pe didn't work. He had a leak on it, and had it semi-working, before getting a replacement. Due to that, I, of course, didn't pay anything, but it's still a shame it didn't work. The Gigabyte board was rejected for RMA, since they said it had bent pins. The technician said the bends were so small I might be able to salvage it myself, so let's see what's going to happen.

Instead I decided to install the parts of the loop I could and to make some artistic touches, which won't be providing any real functions, but it'll make the mod look better.

First off was sleeving the fancables. Since I was out of black heatshrink I gave it all a turn with the black marker. End result is pretty good though
    [​IMG]

This is the hardware side with the windows. Now when I said I wanted to do a small build, I had no idea just HOW SMALL it would turn out. It's so tight, and there's not a lot of spare space :lol:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also made some fan filters. Real ghetto style :rock: I cut out a square frame in the size of a fan and glued some of the misses nylonsocks to the inside. Easy to make, works perfectly, and now I'll avoid almost all dust inside the case
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of all the goodies in the other side of the case. I've made an LED strip for the reservoir out of leftovers from the one in the other side. The pump is mounted on a piece of foam and attached with double sided tape. Should make it all nice and quiet :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aaaand here's a shot with the lights off and the UV-strip on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So what's left to do? I need to solder a 4-pin molex to the PSU and buy a molex to 6 x 3-pin fan splitter. Shorten down some of the cables and making a harddrive cage for 2 x 2.5" discs. I decided to make the most of all the "extra" time I'll now have due to motherboard problems, and make it as perfect as I can :)

'till next time!

12. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

Finishing pictures

Hey everybody! Time to wrap up this baby

The PC has now been working for about two weeks. I got my hand on a spare-spare-spare Impact VII card, so that's what ended up in the PC. It ran flawless at a small LAN with a bunch of good friends, and it was by far the most quiet PC with the best power relative to size :rock:
    I must say the EK PE240 rads are excellent! The Gentle Typhoon fans are undervolted to 7 volt, so they're really not loud, and everything was still extremely well cooled. I didn't get a chance to meddle with OC'ing the CPU, so I guess I'll have to do that some other time

As for now, I'll just post the remaining pictures, and wrap it up after that

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's been a great experience working with this. I've experimented with new techniques, set new goals for myself in terms of precision and execution, and finally I've challenged myself in terms of creativity. Would I do it again? Absolutely, but I think if I were ever to replicate the case, or draw something of similar detail level, I'd ally myself with a pro to help me cut out the pieces. Doing it by hand is enjoyable and relaxing, but extremely time consuming, and in the end you'll just never get 100% precision. Making the built-in reservoir was a b**ch, but in the end I got it leak proof, and it, in my opinion at least, adds another level to the case.

Hope you've enjoyed following this project as much as I've enjoyed making it!

Now back to the drawing board to meddle with all the new ideas I already have floating in my mind

- Vognen

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That came out great.:D As for your precision level: Practice. :thumb: It may be a matter of not having met the perfect file/sandpaper for your job yet too.

Also, Duct tape? You madman!:lol: It works I guess. It even has that silver layer to keep the light from bleeding through.

14. CAF PCs

CAF PCs Custom PCs

Yeah the duct tape threw me off a sec there but I love anything SFF