1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've packed in smokeing

Discussion in 'General' started by Cool Chip, 18 Jan 2004.

1. Cool Chip

Cool Chip What's a Dremel?

had my last *** monday will be a week soon.

what i wanted to ask was (from all u X smokers) how long till i stop thinking ooooh i could have a ciggy now,

still getting it :(

i smoked for about 6 years 7 > 8 a day .Heres a tip for you kids a school.Don't bother smokeing trust me iv been there done it all.

Thanks

Cool Chip still not smokeing :thumb:

2. philth

philth What's a Dremel?

Aye, well done mate, my girlfriend gave up last sunday, she's making my life hell at the moment :D

philth

3. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

After 30 days or so you'll start to feel less like having a cigarette, but the craving will still be there. Statistically you have a very high chance of starting up again within the first 5 years of you quitting. After 5 years you are golden (usually).

4. Armand Karlsen

Armand Karlsen What's a Dremel?

I experimented with ciggies a couple of years ago, but (thankfully) didn't develop a habit. I do still have the habit of chewing my biro like a cigar sometimes. :eyebrow:

5. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Good on ya mate. Keep it up!!

6. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

/me smirks and offers a ciggie around

7. mushky

mushky gimme snails

2-3 months after giving up, the thought of having a smoke was really offputting. I smoked heavily for 10 years, then with the use of patches (and a nasty chest infection) I stopped. not smoked for 9 months now and i dont think i ever will again.

I found that a bit of exercise helped me appreciate the extra lung capacity + made me feel a lot better about the whole thing. I play 5 a side football once a week which helped me see the benefits.

I fully recommend getting some patches or something. If you do then you can go to your doctor and get a prescription for a months worth. £6.50 for a months prescription is another way of making the whole thing easier. Its better than £100+ on fags or the £70 you could spend in a chemist on patches. Or of course, the thousands the NHS could spend on trying to sort out your eventual heart disease and cancers.

Insurance companies will class you as a non-smoker after 12 months. Many doctors will say that if you still haven't smoked after three months, then there is a very good chance that you have cracked it.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2004
  8. sheardjr

sheardjr Minimodder

Last edited: 23 Apr 2016
  9. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

I stopped smoking about a year ago, I found the most important time was the point where you felt like you had put in too much effort stopping to waste it all by starting again. That happened after about a month, the craving for one after meals fades after about 6 months. I still get cravings now, but only when im sat down the pub with some mates that are smokeing. The important thing is not to fool yourself, this is going to be s****** hard no use playing it down. And theres no use thinking "its ok because i can have the odd one in a few months, when im over it" you have to deal with the fact that your never going to have a cigarette again, it might make it harder but its something youl have to deal with sometime if your serious. I think once youve been a smoker the craving will be with you for life but on the upside it gets a little bit easier every day.
    Sorry if im over dramatising or patronising or anything but I know how hard i found it to quit and how glad i am that i did.

Good luck anyway, hope it works out for you.

10. Cool Chip

Cool Chip What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all your support guys.

Wild9 i think your spot on about all the effort going to waste idea, this is what i have been thinking, When the little voice in my head says go on just have one!

Iv come this far and yea i miss haveing a *** i enjoyed it most of the time, but its just not worth it.

Has any one got some anti smokeing piccys to post up ?

or any facts to help put me off the ciggys more, we could all have a read ina weak moment (you no what i mean if uv done this before :sigh: )

11. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

2.4 Pack Years that you have smoked there ....

Good thing you have stopped. Good luck on not getting started again on it.

12. macroman

macroman The One

After a day or so all the nicotine in your body is gone. After a few days the actual addiction, (if infact there ever was one), has gone. The cravings are not due to addiction but habit.

If you keep it up, and I hope you do, you will come to realise that the cravings are not for a cig but for "something" to do. e.g. After sitting at the computer for a while do you get up and have a cig? You will probably find that after concentrating on something for a while you will get a sudden urge for a cig. In fact this is your body telling you to take a break, a break in which you would normally use to have a smoke. Have a glass of chilled water instead.

If you feel like a cig take a few really deep breaths it will give you the same rush. ;)

Remember you don't really want a smoke it is just the habit trying to fool you. You are not giving up anything only stopping smoking. You will find stopping smoking a very liberating experience. No longer will you feel outcast in company, have to stand outside in the rain or fret about wanting a cig in the cinema etc.

Hang on in there, you owe it to yourself to enjoy your life. :thumb:

13. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

I stopped using smokeless the end of last October and am still having cravings now and again. Keep with it, you'll do fine!

14. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Just think of it this way, your a smoker who chooses not to smoke, well done for quitting the nasty habbit :) :clap:

15. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Good on you mate, I tried to give up but never managed it, so you're a stronger man than me...

16. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Well done, don't give in!!
    What part of the west midlands you from, as you can prob see, i'm from dugley.
    'doc

17. Armand Karlsen

Armand Karlsen What's a Dremel?

If you want anti-smoking stuffs, just watch that new ad campaign... *ick*.

18. RTT

RTT #parp

Hope it all goes well mate. Put the cash you'd otherwise spend (burn?) and buy yourself some nice upgrades or modding bits or whatever instead. :D

I see you're a west-midlander too ;)

19. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

That isn't a bad idea.... spend all your money on hardware so you can't even afford fags...

20. VirtualEther

VirtualEther What's a Dremel?

Well done there. I have quit smoking 3 times now, (only 19, 20 in 22 days), and I have only been smoking since I was 18. I have to say, that macroman is prolly right. Certianly with the nicotine in yourbody being gone, and prolly with the fact that you arent addicted after a few days. It's pretty easy to just do something esle when you would usually have a smoke, and therefore usually pretty easy to continue the non-smoking bit. I myself, however, having quit all three times for about 2 or three months, eventually realize that I truly enjoy the habit. I don't of course enjoy the fact that my lungs look like freshly mixed asphault, but I enojy the act. I like having something to do with my hands, and most of my friends smoke, so it isn't like I'm sitting outside by myself. I go outside and have conversation with my friends. Anyway, good luck to you. Don't start again, as it is a bad habit, but then again, don't quit for anyone else either, quit for yourself.

BTW: I smoked 1.5 to 2 packs a day, so if I can quit for 3 you hsould certainly be able to last that long at least. And I used the past tense since I am currently quitting again, as of December 23rd.