1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other I've sprouted a hard drive..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 22 May 2018.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

So I did the big update on Windows on Sunday. It all worked OK, so like a belm I deleted the restore file (as it was 30gb) when doing a cleanup after the update was done. However, I seem to have sprouted a hard drive 500mb in size which Windows continually whines is nearly full. It has been displayed as an M: drive, but when I look in disk management it's actually a section of the C: drive. I would imagine it is a hidden partition which is/was part of the OS. Now obviously I can't delete the partition so is there any way I can actually hide it from view and stop it moaning?

Really not in the mood for ANOTHER complete reinstall when updates go bad.

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Friend of mine had this. She says

Vault-Tec likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

You absolute legend, you. Please send my thanks to your friend :)

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

You can also go to the disk management GUI directly: WIN+X (opens admin menu), K (opens disk manager). You can add/remove drive letters from partitions there too.

Quick tip for DISKPART too: you only need the first three characters of a command, e.g. 'list volumes' = 'lis vol', 'select volume 0' = 'sel vol 0', etc. Useful if you need to do mes with partitions regularly.

5. Vault-Tec

I tried DM Ed. It would not let me do anything with the drive at all. Mostly, I would imagine, because it was a critical part of the OS.

6. Vault-Tec

Two others on another forum had this issue. Paying it forward :thumb:

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Some google fu suggests the issue (I had it too) was introduced with an update from April 10th, however with the new updates released earlier this week it went away for me, so make sure sure you have the new batch of updates too.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  8. Vault-Tec

I must admit I have been rather tardy when it comes to such things. I just CBA lol. So it gets to a point where it defecates an enormous pile of updates onto me, and I have to take my punishment and sit and watch it for about an hour continually going up and down and rebooting :D

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Understandable since not a single windows update has added anything that could be described as noteworthy functionality ever since the first RC of Win 10 dropped.