1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Ivy Bridge or Haswell for gaming?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Greg_Head, 4 Aug 2013.

1. Greg_Head

Greg_Head What's a Dremel?

I am currently in the process of upgrading my CPU and was wondering if the new Haswell chips are worth it or to go for a cheaper Ivy bridge? My main reason for the upgrade is gaming and is Haswell worth it?

2. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

The price difference between the two means I would go Haswell personally.

What are your current system specs, the jump from Sandy to Haswell does have some benefits but not many.

I was looking at system upgrades recently. From an i5 that doesn't clock very well to Haswell. but common sense has prevailed though I do need to replace my motherboard as I am having some issues with sound. I could simply stick a soundcard in but I also want to have a higher clock on cpu and that means I need to replace my motherboard as it doesn't seem to clock very well.

For CPU/Mobo your talking 3-400 dependant on the board your choose. Would this be i5 or i7 Haswell also?

Also check this shoot out.

http://www.play3r.net/reviews/intel-i3770k-vs-i4770k-shoot-out-review/

3. Greg_Head

I am currently running this:
    AMD FX-4170
    Zambezi 32nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz
    Motherboard
    MSI 760GM-P21(FX)
    so going to a Haswell is obviously a large leap anyway. I will be going i5 because any more than that and I feel you get a lot less for your money.

4. Greg_Head

I am currently running this:
    AMD FX-4170
    Zambezi 32nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz
    Motherboard
    MSI 760GM-P21(FX)
    so going to a Haswell is obviously a large leap anyway. I will be going i5 because any more than that and I feel you get a lot less for your money.

5. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Are you cash saver or not bothered? The little you do save can go towards something else like another SSD or something, Or a pint (as they are getting more expensive by the day lol)
    Otherwise Id be more inclined (financially speaking being no object) to go with the newer haswell which reviewed is faster than the I5 ivy but ''NOT'' as significant as hoped apparently

Last edited: 8 Aug 2013
  6. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Well unless you're buying second hand there's not much point buying Ivy Bridge to save £20, Haswell is newer and does actually perform better so it's kind of a no-brainer. I upgraded from a Core 2 Quad a couple of days ago and the difference is amazing!

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Agreed. Even though I went from a 2500K to a 3770K (MB bios issues), I would say anyone looking to go for a new CPU / MB bundle now would be better off with a Haswell build.

If you are looking second hand I would also probably ignore IVB and get a used 2500/2600K & decent Z68MB.

IVB now sits in the awkward middle ground where it is too expensive new (unless you only want to upgrade the CPU and have a decent P67-Z68 board), and not cheap enough used.

8. droyden

droyden What's a Dremel?

upgrade your existing CPU and put anything else into an SSD/GPU upgrade?

</devils advocate>

9. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Would be an idea but that motherboard is a terrible home for a FX chip, will throttle all the time at anywhere near full load.

10. droyden

droyden What's a Dremel?

Yeah thats fair, I am in a similar situation but am considering upgrading my mobo (to AM3+ and SATA3) then swap out my 1090T later in the year. Finding it difficult to justify a full component refresh :(

11. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Im sure the motherboard would change which could also be in total more than a £20 saving.
    Anything Ivy or Haswell is going to be awesome versus his current build

12. Greg_Head

Ok guys so I upgraded to Haswell with an Asus Z87-K motherboard and it is AWESOME :D

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Overclock? :rock:

What's the full spec?

fuus likes this.
  14. Greg_Head

i5 4670k overclocked to 4.2ghz , corsair 1600mhz RAM and Asus Z87-K mobo :)

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nice! :thumb: manual OC or using CPU Level Up! etc?