1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Ivy Bridge vs Sandy Bridge - Air Cooled

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drjaydee, 3 Aug 2012.

1. drjaydee

drjaydee What's a Dremel?

So I'm looking to upgrade my PC, and I'm having a bit of indecision on Sandy Bridge (SB) vs Ivy Bridge (IB).

I'm going to be basing my new PC largely on the Enthusiast Overclocker Buyer Guide, but have heard that people are having issues getting large overclocks from air-cooling the IB i5 3570K, in some cases only getting to 4.5GHz before encountering stability issues and auto throttling. Apparently this is due to hot sports forming on the die. Whereas the SB i5 2500K seemed capable of a 5GHz overclock on air alone.

Given that the IB only seems to get ~10% improvement over SB, does this lack of OC potential suggest that SB may be better on air?

Any ideas/suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I'd still go IB and Z77... more future proof, and you have PCI-E 3.0 for graphics headroom should you ever want to SLI cards to run three screens at hi-res one day.

3. Ljs

Ljs Modder

You've got to rememer that not every 2500k will hit 5GHz without pumping through some pretty dangerous voltages and also that its not all about clock speeds - I dare say that the 3570k at 4.5GHz will be as quick or quicker (I'm about to eat my hat I know it) then a 2500k at 5GHz.

What you do get with IB is a few more nice features as Pookey said, so it really should be a no brainer - just buy a reputable cooler.

4. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Given the 2500k is £170 and the 3570k is £175, may as well just get the newer chip and enjoy the future-proofness while it lasts.

On a side, i really thought the 2500k would tumble in price. Surely intel want to rid themselves of old stock? They're proving to be their own compitition in this segment of the market.

5. drjaydee

drjaydee What's a Dremel?

I thought this would happen too, in which case I probably would have gone for the cut-price 2500.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I don't think the 2500k will drop in price, it would take sales from Ivy Bridge. Remember how long the price of the I5-760 stayed high?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Just remember, you need both an IB chip and a Z77 board to get PCI-E 3.0... which is what I would be doing if I was A) Building a new rig, and B) didn't need the multi-threaded crunching ability of SB-E/2011

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

You might as well get IB. Given that it has PCI-E 3.0 and more features. As long as you don't pump in volts in OC'ing your temperatures should be perfectly fine. As for the number crunching.. there's SB-E but that's quite expensive.