1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Ivy vs Sandy vs Sandy-E

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Beast, 29 Apr 2012.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Budget: under $600, max $700
    Main uses of intended build: Gaming, internet browsing, maybe video editing
    Parts required: motherboard, CPU, ram
    Previous build information: See sig for current build
    Monitor resolution: 1920x1200
    Will you be overclocking: later in its life
    Any motherboard requirements: The more SATA the better, at least one SATA 6GBps. I like Gigabyte boards, but not required

So I'm currently running a Q6600, it works but I feel like it's bottle (it's 3am here) necking my GTX570 and considering it's 5 years old, it's time for an upgrade. Anyways, I'm wondering what would be best, SB, SB-E or IB for my upgrade?

Last edited: 29 Apr 2012
  2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Depends how much of that you are doing? If it's a lot, and it's important to you, go with SB-E. If not, then go with IB. SB-E has no massive advantages with gaming, and general use. Most games don't really use more than 4 cores very efficiently, and nothing else you'll be doing is so demanding that you need the 6 cores or the quad channel RAM.

hee heee.... he said bottom.

The_Beast likes this.
  3. The_Beast

It would more than likely be some light/infrequent BF3 montage clips, nothing super fancy

4. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Go with the Ivy Bridge i5 3570K then.

The_Beast likes this.
  5. Pookeyhead

Then what you need sir, is the shiny new IB and.... although it pains me to recommend a non Asus motherboard... a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H as it has 4x SataII and 5x SATA III to satisfy your "more SATA the better" need. If you're building anew with a new CPU mobo and RAM, you may as well go Z77 if you're going IB.

I'd still go for a i7 3770K. While video editing is not a mainstay of what you do, HT will still be useful here. The above board and i7 is still within your budget.

[edit]

Ahh.. 600 DOLLARS.. not pounds... OK.. maybe i5... but I still think the HT will be useful for editing... and the extra 2MB of L3. Not sure of exchange rate at the moment, but I'm still pretty sure a 3770K and a quality Z77 board is within your budget.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2012
  6. The_Beast

The funny thing is that I had both of those in my Newegg shopping cart:
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H - $190
    Intel Core i7-3770K - $350
    G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 - $47

Total: $585

What would you non-gigabyte would you recommend? I'm not saying it's a requirement, but I've had good luck my Gigabyte boards, + I've heard Asus support isn't that good (don't tell bindi :lol:)

7. Pookeyhead

I keep hearing about Asus support, but to be honest, so far I've never needed it, so can't comment. The reason I suggested the above Giga board was because it's very well featured, tons of I/O possibilities, and has the most SATAIII options, and also 3x USB 3.0 headers, so it kind of fitted your need the best. I can't think of a Asus Z77 board that has more than 4x SATAIII.

The Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE looks tasty. 4x SATAIII and a stupid amount of USB 3.0. Read some good things about it too. Not cheap however.

Maximus V Gene looks tasty, but lacks in the SATA and USB 3.0 dept in favour of OCing facilities. Damned expensive too.

In your case... I'd still go for the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H. If you have a thing for Asus though... the V Deluxe would be the one I went for.

8. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

The_Beast likes this.
  9. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

I've had such runarounds with ASUS support... I can't even describe my frustration, but, in the past two weeks I've been in contact with two ASUS reps for partner programs, and had to call ASUS support for a server board. The support call went straight to someone who understood that the error I was having (HighPoint RocketU 1144A is incompatible, at the moment, with Z9PE-D16) could be due to a PCIe splitter chip on the RocketU card... that never happens at Tier 1.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that ASUS support is trying to turn over a new leaf.

I'm in a some what similar situation to you, and I've chosen to go with an i7-2600K and P8P67 Pro motherboard with 16GB Corsair Dominator 1866MHz. Total at the Egg $595, but I bought an open box motherboard (3 actually) for $130.

Also, I game pretty casually (read: not a lot), I multitask like crazy (hence the i7 with Hyperthreading), and I plan to overclock to 4.5-5GHz, wherever runs stable.

The_Beast likes this.
  10. The_Beast

Another question, is it better to go with 2x8Gb sticks or 4x4Gb sticks for RAM?

11. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

For overclocking stability I believe it is better to go with fewer DIMMs, but I am sure this largely depends on the DIMMs themselves, I heard rumor of some cheap, ultra stable Samsung chips due out about now that offered performance level overclocking in unassuming, value RAM style chips. For me, I am going with 4x4GB vs 2x8GB due to the Dominator heatspreader with it's removable heatsink to make room for the Frio fan blades and... price.