1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News January brings two Windows patches

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Jan 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I've just been sat watching my computer configuring updates for 2 hours. On shut-down it gave up so I had to restart and then on boot it gave up so I had to restart into safe mode and then start all over again.

And I'm at work so I didn't even have any games to play while waiting!

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

It downloaded, and installed fine (Vista and Server 2003)
    Shame it didn't sort out my resolution issues, grrrr.

Sam

4. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i woke up to see that my vista is rebooted and greeted me with a login page... odd how they usually would ask me if i want to reboot or not, but this one just forcefully rebooted. event log shows as soon as update is performed, it gave me 4minutes to postpone or reboot. i dont think ive ever seen it with other vista update....

got to the office, and my 2 XP computers (pro and home) are in the same state.

not happy.

im just picking on it, but i guess im abit irk whenever microsoft reboots my machine without my permission :(

5. Darkedge

Darkedge New Member

amusing considering several viruses have disguised themselves as LSASS.EXE before.

"Shame it didn't sort out my resolution issues, grrrr." most likely those are driver issues, so as I suspect I blame NVidia's shonky recent drivers.

6. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Active Member

Updated without problems on XP MCE. (it's pro disguised, without domains, which i don't use)

7. centy

centy DFI Nutter

Those two updates must be already included in XP Service Pack 3 RC1 (official) because all I got was the January Malicious Software removal tool. There where no high priority updates either.

8. MasterYoda34

MasterYoda34 New Member

If you don't want your computer to automatically restart you can disable the feature via the Group Policy Editor. Start>Run>gpedit.msc Then go to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update. Then turn the policy that starts with "No Auto-Restart" to enabled.

Group policy editor isn't available on XP Home and maybe the basic versions of Vista.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i hate it when windows update re-starts my computer.... especially when i am doing work and leave it working while i go eat... and then i return to see that all my tabs, msn conversations and text are all closed...... grrrr...... *shakes fist at MS*

Tags: Add Tags