1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jays Beast (Straight from the Trash)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by J_Webmaster, 27 Mar 2005.

1. J_Webmaster

J_Webmaster What's a Dremel?

Here is another wonderful start to a custom box.... :dremel:

I adventured over to the "Sort Center" which is where all the military in this community take their recyclable material for processing.
    They have three dumsters full of old electronics.... (computer cases, stereos, dead TV's... etc....)
    After digging around a bit, I came across some of the pieces below:

All four sides:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the back panel removed:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Additional Case front that I found, it's cracked, but you never know....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some parts I pulled from another case about the same size:
    [​IMG]

A grill that I removed from a stereo amplifier, maybe I can use the two grills:
    [​IMG]

I will update with future plans tomorrow.
    Any Suggestions????? :eyebrow:

2. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

i think that since its such a big ass computer case, you should put 2 computers in it, or a computer, and a fridge, or something out of theordinary....

Definatley to big for one computer...
    A computer, and intagrated monitor, or fishbowl, or hampster cage.
    TV, i dunno, but definaltey some other stuff...

3. ozone77

ozone77 What's a Dremel?

In case you had not noticed, thats and old AT case, you will need a new back pannel and a new mobo tray... but this case is so large, it will be nice working inside it.
    :dremel:

4. Visionism

Visionism What's a Dremel?

Hmm. First one looks like an old Ultra case. I have a scar on my thumb from one of their cases. It'll be interesting to see what you do with it. How come I never find cool stuff like that? :sigh:

5. J_Webmaster

Maybe you should check with your local recycle center, I know where I am from in the states, they have a metal sort center. I had never even thought about it until my roomate mentioned going by there for some scrap metal.....
    It's amazing what you will find in the TRASH!! :D

Ozone77:
    I plan on ripping out the :dremel: Mobo tray and cutting my own..... (Thanks for noticing..)

6. TurboFlush

TurboFlush What's a Dremel?

You should hog out the top and put a small trash bin in the top!!! :dremel: :clap: :idea:

This would be the ultimate "Trash" project. :eeek:

What theme were you planning for this?

TF

7. J_Webmaster

Front Fan assembly

Here is my idea for the PSU in the base of the box and an "air tunnel" to cool the PSU's without them changing the temp of the upper box.... :eeek:

[​IMG]

Planned fans:
    [​IMG]

I am thinking of maybe a round portal in front of the fans, this will bringout the bottom of the case a little bit forward of the rest....
    Maybe using the grilling from the amplifier for the back of the lower panel for throughput of the air....

thoughts anyone???? :hip:

Last edited: 27 Mar 2005
  8. Kverna

Kverna What's a Dremel?

hmm.. big ass case, that's for sure. But WHY oh WHY do you use those tiny whiny 40mm fans when you easy can fit up to 120mm there ? Just wondering. A duct/portal in front of the fans is a very nice and easy way to help the fans get cold air. Just slap on some bondo around, and you'r there :dremel:

9. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

I doulbt those fans can push enough air to keep those PSUs from popping. It's arounf 7CFM whereas even a 80mm fan at 5V can push 15+ CFM. You can easily fir 2x80mm fans in a 'tunnel' as well :)

10. J_Webmaster

I want to keep a low profile on the fans and I want to go smaller than 80mm, everyone uses 80mm and I want my own look....
    Thank you for pointing out the CFM issue, I found these...

[​IMG]

Specification:
    Compatibility: Case, Power Supply
    Dimensions: 60 x 60 x 25mm
    Bearing Type: Double Ball Bearing
    Nominal Speed(RPM): 4550
    Max Air Flow(CFM): 21
    Max Pressure: 5.3 mm-H2O
    Rated Voltage: 12V DC
    Connector: 3 Pin & 4 Pin Adapter
    Noise(dBA): 28

I think two of these should do just fine.....
    Thoughts??

11. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

use 92mm then :D :p really if i were you i wouldnt use them small fans - they're useles.. but ya kno do what you want :rolleyes:

12. leviathan18

leviathan18 What's a Dremel?

put a nice fridge inside that beast :rock:

13. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Minimodder

I love huge cases! :clap:

Carry on!

14. J_Webmaster

Final Plan for Front Fan fixings....

OK, after looking through all the details of the fans used to cool the PSU's, I'm going with:

[​IMG]

These are the fans that I picked out.... I can use the controller to slow them down or speed them up..
    [​IMG]

Thoughts... concerns.....

15. dubya01

dubya01 What's a Dremel?

OMG that thing is a monster...

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

OK. Here are my thoughts/concerns:

It feels to me like you found a big box, got all enthusiastic and now you've jumped in without considering first what you want to achieve, and how. You have a big box, OK. But why? What do you want to fill it with? What is the purpose of the rig? What is your priority: performance? Silent running? HDD Storage? How do you want it to look, aesthetically?

Is this case the best one for what you have in mind in the first place (given that you already have to do AT to ATX surgery on it)? Couldn't you get a more suitable case relatively cheaply elsewhere?

What is the best way of achieving your aims? What is technically and electronically feasible and what skills, tools and resources will you need? I suggest you hit Google and do a few weeks (well, months, really) of research before you start trying to answer these questions.

To the specifics: I think putting the supplies in the bottom is a good idea, thermal management wise (but why do you need two 350W supplies?), but some puny 60mm fans are not going to cool them sufficiently --not without quite some noise. The Aero fans are really rather unsuitable (look at what side the air intake is!). You are better off putting in at least a few 80mm low-noise fans (Papst or Panaflo) or a sinlge 120mm fan. If you really want to keep a low profile, consider Coolermaster's Cross Flow Fan but consider the noise-- anything over 25dB becomes audible and that big case will act like a sound chamber. If you want to speed-control them, think of a baybus and consider what else you could control with it. You got the space --use it. As you are objecting on aesthetic grounds I would consider the overall look that you want to achieve. Looks, in the end, are limited by functionality.

My advice: go to the drawing board. Design, plan, research, ask for some feedback on concrete designs. Then, in a few months, you are ready to mod. :dremel:

Last edited: 30 Mar 2005
  17. J_Webmaster

Well, thank you for your help!!!!!!
    I pulled the box from the trash because I wanted to build a box from the floor up and that is exactly what I am doing.... Why pay money for something that I don't have to.... If you look for that on Google, it is called "free"......
    Two power supplies are called "fault tolerance"......
    Hope you enjoy bashing users.......

Last edited: 30 Mar 2005
  18. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Gee, put a mini fridge and a coffee machine inside it. That way, you don't have to starve to death at lan's :hehe:

19. J_Webmaster

I actually found a frig that is 12" x 12" x 7.5"... that case is huge, but only 7" wide...... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
    unless you know where I can find one....... all the ones I found are to wide...

20. J_Webmaster

Update on Front Panel...

Started on the front panel of the case....
    Here is what I started with:
    [​IMG]

Where to cut??
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The finished product:
    I plan to set a peice of Dark Blue Plexi 1" behind the hole and put my case badges on it with some LED's for light, the hole will give airflow to the fans behind..... :dremel:
    [​IMG]