1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Job Interview

Discussion in 'General' started by RinSewand, 22 Apr 2009.

1. RinSewand

RinSewand New Member

Hey guys,

Wondering if you amazing Bit-Techy people could offer any advice you have on job interviews?

Got one on Tuesday for an IT Tech position in a high school. I've read up on the equipment they use, the background of the staff who I think will be on the panel. Will be going suit and shoe shopping tomorrow for something in a dark grey as the only one i have is an awfully ill fitting jet black one (looks a bit morbid). Not sure on tie colour, though i figure an ironed white shirt?

Been reading through previous threads - the advice of taking a pen and a copy of the cv (as they haven't requested one yet) seems good.

Anything else I've missed? Job seems amazing and would then set me up easily for after uni so I'd really like to give a good shot at it. I believe some of the questions are based along the "why do you want to work in a school" approach, which is the part I'm most worried about. I figure they won't be happy if i go for "because you'll pay me" - though I figure that something about job security should be mentioned. Almost looking forward to the hardware fixing test as I'm hoping that's a strong point.

taa in advance for any advice,

RwD

2. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Prepare examples of how you have helped non-tech people with computer issues.
    Maybe a pithy anecdote of how a teacher inspired you in the past, and how you would love to pass on your enthusiasm for technology to a new generation.
    Don't just be passive, ask them questions, this can alter the atmosphere from one of a pseudo interrogation to a more of formal chat. Mostly importantly, be yourself.

3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

+1 on the ask questions - not salary or hours - ? about company goals, teams, etc.

+1 for BE YOUR SELF.

I've been in IT for 30+ years. I know who I am, convince these people you know who you are and where you want to go with the company.

john

4. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I had my first interview last Friday for Bestbuy and got the job, my suggestions are:

1. Look nice, don't show up like you don't care, and don't show up chewing gum etc. etc. Comb your hair, brush your teeth or have a mint, and maybe dress pants and a golf shirt, or something fancy / casual. Not over the top though.

2. Appear approachable and friendly, smile, and make eye contact

3. Don't try to act like you know something that you actually dont, be honest and don't ramble on trying to explain something you don't know how, because if they feel you can be valuable, they will train you, instead of you rambling on like an idiot

4. Makes the answers short and simple, they want quick and to the point, because when your on the job, your expected to be quick and knowledgeable.

5. Do a bit of reading on the company, a lot of times they ask why you want to work for them

6. Ask questions about the type of work you'll be doing, and other things, but not about benefits or pay, if you want the job, you can sacrifice a bit of money for your own happiness

Friends told me these tips for when I went for my interview, and everything went well... I actually had a long interview process, as they do a phone interview, a interview with a manager, then an interview with the general manager. As long as your calm and relaxed, you should be fine. Be yourself, and think positive.

5. theevilelephant

theevilelephant New Member

+1 on asking them questions,

even better if you have follow up questions for your questions :D it helps make the interview a more comfortable and relaxed afair and makes you seem very enthusiastic.

Also figure out a basic answer to questions like: "If you were left all on your own without any immediate help and something went t*ts up what would you do and why?" I was asked questions like these loads in my recent job hunt and it helps to be prepared!

6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Well-Known Member

what about something along the lines of seeing working on that many pc's as a challenge, and will all the current advances in tech a school would be a great place to further your knowledge and expand your technical ability (if they keep up to date, my mate's school kind of does now they have a contract with dell to supply their pcs)

7. RinSewand

RinSewand New Member

I'm liking this so far guys thanks!

ChristopherGreen - awesome idea for an answer taa! It's a pretty new build so that fits well.

RwD

8. cpu121

cpu121 New Member

:thumb:

Situation, Action, Outcome. Describe the situation briefly, explain what your involvement was and how that led to the (successful!) outcome. Have a few examples like that in mind for skills such as teamworking, problem solving, communication etc.

Edit: Just noticed you're applying to a school. In case you haven't come across the site already, check out EduGeek. All about IT professionals in UK education.

Last edited: 22 Apr 2009
  9. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Well-Known Member

lol, i bet you get here and its full of good old rm nimbus 486's complete with green crt's.

10. Turbotab

486sx meh, 486 dx teh awesome:D

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Having been on the interviewer side of things several times in the last few weeks, here's what I like to see:

Acting like you want the job
    Having a good understanding of what the job will be, or the willingness to ask questions and get more details about it
    Good ability to describe why you're qualified to do the job
    Being able to think on your feet - I enjoy asking questions that you're very unlikely to have prepared for, but will realistically need to be able to answer on the job (here's a hypothetical scenario, what would you do? kind of things)

For these positions, appearance wasn't especially relevant, but when in doubt overdress rather than underdress. Bring a few copies of your CV, as you may be interviewing with multiple people.

For me, the most important answers were to "Why do you want this position?" and "In what ways are you qualified to have this position?", since those address motivation and skills which are my main concerns as an interviewer. All of the other questions I asked helped me build out responses to those questions in one way or another, though of course I was also trying to ensure that they'd be a good fit in terms of personalty and working style as well.

12. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I was asked why BestBuy instead of somewhere else, why do you feel you deserve it, what would you do if you saw another employee stealing, name a time where you had a situation that you were being overwhelmed by people, name a time when you had difficulty with another staff member or customer and how did your resolve it... Those are a few that really can give a lot of info in just a few short sentences...

13. Mr Mario

Mr Mario New Member

Remember your National Insurance card/number and proof of ID if you need it. (Forgot it once and had to re-schedule the interview, still got the job though).

14. Turbotab

15. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

IT tech in a school you say?

From what I remember from my interview, everyone applying for the job was interviewed on the same day, one after the other. The person who got the job was told there and then and the others had the option of a debriefing if they wished.

The interviewing panel was made up of 50/50 school governors and teaching staff. The head of ICT and the chair of the governors asked most of the questions. (When answering make sure to address everyone, not only the person that asked the question.)

The chair that they gave us was a little too big, so I sat in the middle, back straight hands in lap (rather than leaning back, or slouching.)

I remember that the other applicants brought the little red folder that you are given when you leave school, with GCSE results et al. I made up a portfolio of design stuff that I'd done in the previous job instead and handed it over at the end of my interview. (So that they were listening to me, rather than leafing through it.)

Before the interview I made sure I was tidy. No mud on shoes, hair combed etc. I wore black trousers, green M&S shirt, dark tie and polished boots. The other applicants had mud on their trousers/manga shirts. Yeah...

One question they did ask in the interview that stands out was; what do you feel is your worst quality/attribute is? I answered that quite often I'm a little too quiet, but that's probably not a bad thing because I'll usually be working out network things in my head. (negative but positive.) Don't tell them you get drunk on a Friday night and don't know who you are until Sunday evening.

Any other questions; dress code? working hours? training? how does the school interact or support the local community?

Always have a spare copy of your CV.

We did do some practical stuff as well, like setting up a mobile projector and smart board, but I have a feeling this was an exception.

16. RinSewand

RinSewand New Member

I have to give you all a massive thankyou, especially silver, great advice there. - just got offered the job!

Cheers Bit-Tech!

RwD

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Awesome. Congrats mate. :D

18. Voluntary_Pariah

Voluntary_Pariah a Real Man™

yay.

eDrinks all round! Paid for by the newly employed :D