1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Join bit-tech and your favourite modders at Campus Party Europe - Article now live!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Combatus, 8 Mar 2010.

1. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

Yes this is a big surprise for the proffessional modders that have been invited to events before. Ive been to 15 events before with different companys and manufacturers and theres always a secure area to display the cases and theres alwas good living conditions. For exaple im going to show my latest build at The Gathering in norway in two weeks and trust me i wont be sleeping in a tent. Im not saying that the event wont be fun if youre a person that likes the Lan part of it but im not a lan guy im a modder and i take my work very seriuously. Theres no way id ever leave my projects unattended and theres no way id sleep on the floor bit i have no problems with Lanpartys at all but had i known what this was from the beginning i would have said no from the start. Even if i had the money to pay for a Hotel i still wouldnt go as a Lan participant, thats just not for me. But as of now we still dont have all the facts about the event so we will just have to wait and see.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2010
  2. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

Bleh... Double post...

3. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

Ah sorry... :) I was in a bit of a hurry when I wrote that reply, so let me explain my comment better.

I mainly agreed on Jipas view on what the event is. This event is invite-only, so not just anyone can buy tickets to the LAN and come over and play. So it is not a LAN-party in that sense. The main idea... as far as I know is to bring together people from different fields of interest etc. But that´s enough babble from me. I asked one of the organizers to post to this thread so we can get some of the misunderstandings cleared.

Anyways I´m planning on just taking my laptop and some unfinished mods with me... and maybe my newest project if Nvidia decides to deliver on their promises... COUGH COUGH!

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Update!

Got a response from Antonio - he's the guy that's been emailing people but not the guy who's actually organising it. Seems it is a proper Lanparty event and not a modding exhibition and people will be gaming etc most of the time.

Now, what they have said is that they can arrange hotel rooms close to the event for 50 Euros a night. Not free but if you're keen to go, it's an option and if you share the room it's cheaper...

More info below but if you're not happy about things, make sure you get in touch with them ASAP to try to see if they can put you up in a hotel, or cancel your flights... Any one not sure about anything drop me a line.

Apparently press will be put up in hotels anyway so at the moment it looks like I'll definitely be going.

5. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

Ah... Must have misunderstood things myself then :D My bad :)

6. [WP@]WOLVERINE

So the event was as i assumed wich means that i definetly wont be going.

7. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Whats to stop poeple from simply swapping their sticker with someone elses?

8. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I payed 100 Euros to renew my passport to see that eventually this is a lan party or something and that I will have to sleep in a tent?!?!?! OMG this is so NO right, the way it was presented to me it was like the best technology event in the world that takes place in EU!!!!
    And I was so happy to go and meet all these modders and now the most are not going to go!!
    Sleeping in the floor or whatever for me its just impossible with the problem I have with my back!
    I cant believe that.....

9. riekmaharg2

You could get a hotel room, or share one. I think I will get one so I can keep my computer secure.

10. mrdbristol

mrdbristol Voided my warranty years ago

Could any of the Madrid based people who have posted here, give me some information.

How far is this hotel from the Campus Party Venue ?

NH Mercader

Crta. de Villaverde a Vallecas Km. 3,800, 28053 Madrid (Spain)
    Tel. +34.91.7866320

How much do think it would cost to travel each way from the hotel to the venue each day ?

Anything you can tell me would help :)

Thanks.

Mark

11. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

If I'm not wrong, they are far apart, and don't know any public transport joining that 2 points:

http://maps.google.es/maps?f=d&sour...67352&spn=0.013146,0.033023&t=h&z=16&dirflg=d

By cab shouldn't take so much (Google= 3,9 km – aprox. 9 min) , but it's expensive (maybe about 18 euro each day), IMO.

Anyway I don't think google is placing NH Mercarder in the correct location. I'm looking for it. I remember I used to see it from the road. Fixed -->

Edit: the hotel should be the green roof building (it's inside "Mercamadrid") and I've read on their web that the best way to get there is by car (or cab).

12. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

the same for us....
    a quote from the invitation:

don´t really says that there are tents involved :duh:
    atm we´re really thinking how to manage that, because i also have some problems with my shoulder (disclocating problems, from time to time it pops out) which make this really a bad idea...but i´m also not really willed to pay a few hundred $ for a hotel room ....so don´t know how we´re going to solve this....

but we also found that NH Hotel via Google and it really seems to be the nearest hotel ??

thats also one of our worries...a sticker etc is nice and i´m sure they care for security....but we have been on so many Lan Parties, Events & Exhibitions in the past and 1 thing we learned...there is always a way something like that could happen....

13. [WP@]WOLVERINE

I just wish that they would have given clear information from the start. Calling a lan party "electronic entertainment event" is misleading if it is a Lan party call it a lan party. And also its not recognized as the biggest lanparty in the world because thats here in sweden. Dreamhack has set the world record 3 times with the latest beeing in 2007 with 10544 unique computers in the network and over 11000 participants.

14. Antonio-CP

Antonio-CP What's a Dremel?

Hello guys,

My name is Antonio del Río "Franzol" and I am one of the coordinator of Campus Party Europe Modding zone. There are some things that are not clear yet, so I would like to tell you more about Campus Party.

Is Campus Party a LAN Party? Yes and no. If by LAN Party you mean that people bring their PCs and get connected to the Internet, it is a LANParty. But it is also much much more. There are may conferences and workshops, so there is a lot to do, a lot to learn and a lot to enjoy. There won't be a minute to get bored. Please check Campus Party. If you take a moment to visit Campus Party Europe website, you will soon realize that it is not a LAN Party. I will just list the contents of the Sciences zone:

* Astronomy (http://www.campus-party.eu/Astrnomy-space.html)

- Living and Working on Space, by the French Astronaut Jen Francois Clervoy (been in the space 2 times)!

- Technology to Reach the Universe, by Ramón Garcia astrophysicist and coordinator of the implementation of the Astrophysics Institute of the Canary Islands

- Closer to the stars, workshop (we will built a balloon with a camera that gets a height three times higher than the achieved by any commercial flight.

- The greatest mysteries in the Universe, by Stuart Clark is one of the UK’s most widely read astronomy journalists.

* Robotics (http://www.campus-party.eu/Robotics.html)

- Body and mind of a humanoid. Giorgio Metta (Italia), from the University of Genova (Lira-Lab), will talk to us about Icub, a humanoid robot developed as a result of the team project RobotCub backed by the European Commission through the dE5 Unit of IST Robotic Cognitive Systems.

- Automating the Acting Profession. Computer generated imagery often replaces actors in today's films. RoboThespian extends this to the physical world, a real robot that you can watch and interact with.

- 2010 and C3PO still doesn´t exist. Ricardo Tellez, research engineer on artificial intelligence and one of the Reem B project leaders (robot exhibited at Future Campus) will discuss the current state of humanoid robotics anticipating what to expect in the near future.

You just read the contents of the science area, which is only a part of Campus Party. Isn't it a unique event?

- The Future of Electronics: Challenges and Hopes at the Nanoscale. Tomás Palacios joined the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science of MIT in September of 2006 as an Assistant Professor and a member of the Microsystems Technology Laboratory. At Campus Party Europe he will analyze some of the main challenges that future microprocessors face to keep improving the performance of computers.

* Modding (http://www.campus-party.eu/Modding.html)

- The Tricks and Secrets of the Best Modders -> The tricks and secrets of the best modders in Europe will be presented at a workshop working with different materials (fiber, wood, plexiglas and metal) using the classical tools. A Master Workshop showing the state-of-the-art of modding in Europe thanks to the experience and knowledge accumulated by the best, who will present how to approach a mod to get an excellent job.

- Green computing -> Green Computing is being adopted by Cloud Computing, the interdependence between information and communication technologies and the greenhouse gases, and how these same technologies can be used t reduce the emissions and other activities

- European Overclocking Challenge -> With the support of Gigabyte, the biggest European experts will face the challenge of beating various world records, such as Super Pi or 3Dmark Vantage, trying to maximise the performance of the latest graphic cards and processors available on the market

I could also list what Blogging, Creativity, Developers or Security zone have to offer, but you can check yourself if you are interested. http://www.campus-party.eu/Campusblog-en.html

It is only a part of the conferences and workshops that will be held in Campus Party. That's why we say this event is unique. Also, note that this is an special edition of Campus Party. Participants cannot buy a ticket, they have to be invited, so the speakers are not the only experts. Everyone there is an expert at what he does.

So now you know that Campus Party is not only a "LANParty", but also a congress full of workshops and conferences, or even a trade fair where you take a look of the latest technology and a great opportunity to do networking. Campus Party is a unique event.

15. mrdbristol

I was under the impression that 'modding' was a specific part of the event, it says so on the web page.

It also shows a picture of 'modded' pcs' grouped together in an area.

That was what i thought it would be, a seperate area for modded pcs' for people to look at etc.

The thought of sticking my pc on a table surrounded by kids eating and drinking whilst playing games for 20hours a day doesn't really leave me feeling too comfortable about things.

Unless there is a seperate area dedicated to modded Pcs' where people will respect the care and attention gone into peoples hardware, then its abit pointless imo.

I want to see good builds and meet some great modders, not have to babysit my computer incase someone chucks drink over my pc whilst celebrating a 'BOOM HEADSHOT' next to it

16. Antonio-CP

Hi, its Antonio, coordinator of Campus Party Modding zone again,

I did not want to mix too many things on the same post, so I will now talk about sleeping arrangements and security.

First of all, the information about the sleeping arrangements has been clearly stated. Every time we sent and invitation we encouraged those invited to visit Campus Party site. There they would find information about CP Village, the camping zone where all the participants "campuseros" will be sleeping. You can check it here -> http://www.campus-party.eu/cpvillage-en.html, and here also: http://www.campus-party.eu/FAQ-en.html. It was sent too to those invited before we bought their plane tickets. The organization is paying for plane tickets, picking you up in the airport and providing maintenance too. I believe that being invited is an honour, since it proves that you are talented in what you do and you are one of the best of your country in a determined field of knowledge.

Camping zone is comfortable. The organization will provide the tents and the two camping areas are perfectly air-conditioned and count with direct access to the installations changing rooms, toilets and showers. It is not a hotel, but since it is inside the building where the event is held it is far more convenient. In example, if you are close to your tent, you can take a nap between lunch and the conference you are interested to attend. Also, all the participants will be staying in the camping zone, so it will be a great chance to meet new friends from many countries and share the experience in a way you want be able if you stay in a hotel. That said, we understand tha some of the participants will prefer to stay in a hotel. You can take advantage of the discount agreements we have achieved with two important hotel groups in Spain. Find more information about the offer here: http://tv.campus-party.org/hotel/en.html. There is also a hostel near the venue, with very low rates. Here you are the information about it: http://www.san-fermin.org/albergue_en/principal.php

Regarding the location of the event. The event will take place in Caja Mágica, a venue located in San Fermin. The venue is connected with Madrid center by metro line 3 or bus lines 23 and 78. It only takes 20 minutes to get to the center, or 15 minutes to get to the Ayre hotel. Madrid is a safe city and you only must have the same care as in your own city. Some of the guys coming are from Madrid, so you can ask them for advise of where to go and what to do. And most likely they will be hanging out with you too,

The event will have security 24 hours and every one must be identified by event credentials before enter into the venue. All the computers will be identified by ID stickers and only the computer owner is allowed to take the computer out of the event. There will be also a deposit where you can leave your objects (such a notebook or a camera). Some asked "what if the sticker is removed", if you remove a sticker of a PC, then the PC is unidentified and therefore it cannot be taken out of the venue. Also, all the participants in the modding area (around 80 out of 800) will be close to each other, and Modding zone will be specially taken care of. If security was an issue, please be confident about our organization. It's a 800 people event, in comparison with a 7.000 Campus Party, it will just look like a group of friends. We are pretty experienced, with 13 Campus Party in Spain and also a few in Colombia, Mexico, Brazil and El Salvador.

If you have any question about how Campus Party is going to be, please do not hesitate to mail to crm@campus-party.eu and we will be more than glad to solve them.

See you in Madrid!

17. riekmaharg2

Can you tell us more about the security in the area where modders will have their cases? Also you say our cases will have a sicker put on them, is this sticker like a warrenty sticker where it falls apart if you try to remove it?

18. Antonio-CP

You got it right. Modding is an specific part of the event. There is a "modding zone" where all the modding participants will be seated together, and extra security measures will be taken.

Everyone there will be respectful with your mod. There is not need to "babysit" any kid. All the participants are over 18 years old and they are also there to learn and show what you do. I believe that you, as a modder, could be interested in robotics. If you go to the zone where the "CampusBot" participants are showing their work and find this:

[​IMG]

Will you grab it by the head and start shacking him or get close to it and ask its maker how he did it, how it works and so?

If you see a guy with a huge expensive motorized telescope, will you just start turning wheels or you will ask, politely, to his owner to show you what he is doing?

What if this guy brings a high end sound mixing table, are yo going to push any buttons?

When you pass over the overclocking zone, and you find this:

[​IMG]

Will you try to spill LN2 over the face of the people working there?

If you are not going to do any of this with other guys equipment, please take for granted that they are not going to do anything to your mod. People coming will be respectful and the only thing the would like to take from you is knowledge. I hope you get my point now.

If it was not safe enought for modders to bring their creations to Campus Party, we won't have any modding zone, because modders won't be coming any more, and they come back to Campus Party every year.

I must say I understand your concerns. It will be the very firs Campus Party you are attending and until you step into it and breahte the ambience, you won't get the essence of the event. I can write you 100 hundred mails and send you another 100 pictures of Campus Party, but it is something you have to experience yourself.

I am looking forward to check this forum on April the 19th. I am confident that everyone who has been there will say that it was really great fun, thay they learnt a lot and that they met a lot of interesting people there.

Regards,

19. mrdbristol

That sounds much better :)

So a seperate area for modded pcs , away from the LAN party ?

20. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

So what about beds? Are there any or we have to bring sleeping bags?