1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Jonsbo D30 - Small Case/Maximum Usage

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by BofA, 20 Mar 2023.

1. BofA

BofA What's a Dremel?

Hello all,

When it came time to replace my current machine I wanted something as small as possible while still having a full chipset and space to water cool. I have been a fan of Jonsbo case design since the MX2-B Rosewill case started being sold in the US. So I took a look there first and saw the D30 which looked like the perfect match. So let’s see how much I can fit in a D30 with some modification....

I am a few months in now and am getting close to the finish line, here is the progress so far:

I started by ordering the case and figuring out how much room I really had. The goal is to fit a mATX board, a D5 pump, a 1000 watt or better power supply, and 2 radiators (1x240, 1x360). After measuring the case it looks like we are going to be tight. Tight enough that I ordered a junk mATX board of ebay to help me fit and measure (unfortunately didn’t haven’t an old matx of my own). Here it is with the junk board.
    [​IMG]

If the pump and reservoir is going to fit the hard drive mount bracket must go. Unfortunately, it is riveted in and geometry locked. So it took some bending and drilling.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After the bracket is out there is a tab still sticking out. Tried to get it with the hacksaw and that wasn’t working so I ended up cutting it off with some metal snips.
    [​IMG]

And now it was time for a Distro plate
    I took a while but I got the measurements loaded into 3D and started designing the front and back of the distro plate. Finding a design that worked with the clearances took forever. It became apparent that I had no room for a 24 pin cable or a CPU cable so I had to mold a relief into the plate reducing the reservoir size and shape. Here are the finished designs with a pump head and integrated wire management.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Next I printed the 2D out on paper at 1:1 to make sure everything fit. Also got a great deal on a mother board (looks like I am going Intel) and made sure that the 24 pin wires would line up to the new board.
    [​IMG]

It was pretty challenging finding a place to have the distro plate machined (I don’t have the capability here) would love to hear if anyone knows of a place. After looking a while I found out that the local library has a CNC router at there makerspace I could use for free. I took their class and got certified to use their machine. Unfortunately the CAM program they use doesn't interface with 3D modeling software and I had to program it all by hand :(. After picking up some single flute end mills on amazon I was off to the races.
    [​IMG]
    As it turned out the library was pretty stingy on the hours I could actually use the machine and I had to go back several times. It was a pain and I hope to not have to go back.
    [​IMG]
    Made some O-rings for the plate and then it was time to test. Boy was I anxious, The first test failed and I realized I needed to clean the groove for the pump o-ring better and apply more torque. Then I got it to work, which was a great relief.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately this is the part in the story when I realized I wasn't going to finish anytime soon. Anyone else have that happen?
    Young kids and a career for both of us doesn't leave a lot of free time.
    Having purchased components already because of the tight clearances I figured I better put a machine together and make sure I didn't get any dudes before the return dates were up. So I bought a Noctua NH-D15 and another D30 case and put everything together in a temporary build. In case anyone is wondering the NH-D15 fits just fine with the side panel on. No clearance issues
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The screen mount will be the next thing to get done.

Cheapskate, Vault-Tec and Arboreal like this.
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Big Jonsbo fan me. Really dig that man, nice build !

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Awesome first post. :D Welcome to Bit!
    A library that installed loud machinery? I can imagine why you would have time restraints. :lol:
    "OK, kids. Story time"-BRRooooowwwwRRRRRRRRRR!

Arboreal likes this.
  4. BofA

BofA What's a Dremel?

Hey thanks cheapskate, vault-tech. I have lurked on here for a while finally decided to do my own project.

The libraries here all started doing maker spaces. They are open must of the day. But since they only have one router for the whole branch they tell people you can only do 4hrs a month which is ridiculous. You basically set up and your time is already up. So glad I don't need to go back, didn't make a lot of friends there going over my hour allotments to finish parts.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  5. Cheapskate

Yeah, 4 hours is not much. I'd hate to have to pull a part half finished.

6. BofA

BofA What's a Dremel?

I got a screen on amazon for Raspberry PIs, It took forever to get here, but it finally came. The mounting is a little weird, so I measured everything on the case and the screen and drew something up in 3D.

[​IMG]

I used Send Cut Send here in the states to get some blanks cut. They are cheap and fast but not the most accurate. They were good enough for me, but be careful if you need tight tolerances on a part. I got a bunch as I didn't have a proper sheet metal brake, nor did the library.

[​IMG]

Picked up a vice mounted brake on amazon and did my best. The first two were failures, but number 3 was good enough.

[​IMG]

Test fit the screen, and the mounting holes matched up. Man, would you look at those large graceful bends.

I used two plastic bolt head covers, the kind you get with crappy furniture, as buttons so I could still access the power and dim functions of the board after install. It's a little hard to see here but, they are sticking out through the two holes below the 3.5mm jack.

[​IMG]

I was excited to get it in the case and try it out, so I hurried up and installed it. Of course, it needed some more tweaks, but I got it in. It will hide the ugly power supply sticker nicely.

[​IMG]

In case anyone is interested I used this screen:
    waveshare 7.9inch Capacitive Touch Screen LCD Compatible with Raspberry Pi 4B/3B+/3A+/2B/B+/A+/Zero/Zero W/WH/Zero 2W CM3+/4 400×1280 Resolution HDMI IPS Supports Jetson Nano/Windows
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087CNJYB4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. Cheapskate

Looks good!
    The bottom of mine would say, "tivate Windo". :D

8. BofA

BofA What's a Dremel?

Yeah I built my first machine and the machine I am using now in 2009. At the time I was working retail and I could get windows ultimate for something like $10 through microsofts retail associate program. Was not very excited to spend the money to get windows this time around.

9. BofA

BofA What's a Dremel?

While the computer is in the other case, I have been test fitting radiators, fans, and everything else to ensure everything will fit.
    The D30 is supposed to fit a 360 radiator on the bottom, but that was not really the case with mine. I purchased a Hardware labs black ice 360GTS since I am tight on space, and it is one of the smallest radiators I could find.
    However, when I put it in the case, it was literally line to line. Based on the data sheets, I thought I would have a few milometers to spare, but instead, I had to take the GPU cover plates off to get it in. It is so tight I am worried that it will crack due to thermal expansion when I use it.

Does anyone run a machine with a tight fit radiator? Problems?

Of course, after finally getting it in, I realized the mount holes in the back didn't extend far enough.
    [​IMG]
    Not sure why Jonsbo didn't just extend the slots here. Time to get out the file.
    [​IMG]

Because the case sits so low to the table, I also decided to get taller feet to give it a little more air flow. I am aware of how little airflow I will get and figured any improvement would be beneficial.
    Not to mention the stock feet look cheap.
    So I picked up some turntable isolation feet on ebay (I wish I had a lathe).
    Here they are next to the original feet.
    [​IMG]

That is it for now. Next I'll be moving the motherboard back in the case and starting costume wiring. Always wanted to do custom wiring/sleeving, finally going to give it a go. Not to mention I kind of have to since there isn't any room for cables.

Cheapskate, Vault-Tec and Arboreal like this.
  10. Cheapskate

PC radiators are pretty tough and are built the same way old auto radiators are made. You could probably bend one a bit without issues. The outer frame isn't connected to any sealing point in the system either.

11. BofA

BofA What's a Dremel?

Thanks, that helps put my mind at ease a bit.

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Be careful how you bend it.

A couple of years back I put a 120mm rad in the floor of a very cheap and nasty Phanteks case. So cheap it flexed when you picked it up. I had used that rad for four years without a problem. Then one morning I awoke to find black coolant all over my white carpet :(

I am blowing pressure into it and it is hissing. I don't know where it cracked, but I would imagine it was at the braising :(

13. Cheapskate

Ah, man! We just put his mind at ease. :lol: Read the room.

14. BofA

BofA What's a Dremel?

Oh man, that sounds pretty horrible. This case is pretty sturdy but I do worry about thermal stress cycles killing the rad. Was flip flopping on adding coloring to the fluid, guess ill go with distilled water and avoid a possible mess.
    Also really appreciate the info. I was having trouble finding anyone with a tight radiator condition when googling.

15. BofA

BofA What's a Dremel?

When I built my first and current PC in 2009, I really wanted to do custom wiring. I got cold feet and decided not to try it on my first go. A few years later, I considered upgrading and bought some Lutro0 crimpers and supplies. I ultimately decided to keep using the original build, and everything got put in storage.
    But now it is time!
    I forced myself into a corner with the size of this build, and the only way out is with custom cables, so I have no choice. I finally get to use my 10 year old sleeving supplies.
    [​IMG]
    I didn't realize how common it was for power supply manufacturers not to have direct pin layouts ( 24pin to 24pin; pin 1 to pin 1 and so on).
    So, of course, it's a confusing mess. Not looking forward to splicing wires and checking and rechecking the pin layouts, but I am still excited to finally try it.

Cheapskate and Vault-Tec like this.
  16. Cheapskate

The random double wire going into a single pin... Yeah. I hope you don't have dyslexia.

17. BofA

BofA What's a Dremel?

First time custom sleeving, and it wasn't too bad.
    Took a lot of time, which was hard with our little ones, but it went smoothly. The only colossal nightmare was getting the EVGA PSU pinout correct. I know this has probably been said a million times on here, but I'll do it again. I hate that they don't make the pins 1 to 1. I mean, come on! It took so many checks and rechecks to make sure everything was right. My biggest fear with this whole build is powering this thing on after I make the harness. It is crazy that there isn't any standardization on the PSU side.

I started with the 24pin to get the hardest one out of the way first.
    When moving the motherboard, I kept the cooler attached to test my work when I was done wiring.
    The cables fit into the channels in the distro block perfectly, and the clamp I made worked well. The cable channels were made with a 5/32" ball end.
    [​IMG]
    Of course, I reversed the cables and had to redo my work on the PSU side, but I eventually got the 24 pin done.
    This motherboard has 12 pins for the CPU. The cables go along the back of the distro plate and through a hole located under the 24 pin.
    [​IMG]
    This was when I realized I had the wrong type of 8 pin connector. Apparently, I order all GPU style 8 pins. So I cannibalized the ones that came with the power supply. No going back now

After finishing the 12 pin I was ready for a test. The level of anxiety I had when I pressed the button was next level. The test resulted in no electrical fire, everything working as usual, and a huge sigh of relief from me.

I took the cooler off to prepare for the water block, making the wiring more visible.
    [​IMG]
    This one is on the downhill now.

Cheapskate likes this.
  18. BofA

BofA What's a Dremel?

I finally got to the fun part, getting the water cooling loop going.

The lower radiator was quite a pain to get in as it barely fit and I had to wire everything I wouldn't have access to once it was installed.

[​IMG]
    I had originally designed the outlet on the pump to go straight into the lower radiator with a 90 deg connector. I thought I would have enough free play to deal with any mating issues. However the radiator is immobile and the cables are hanging a bit lower than I had hoped so I abandoned that plan. Instead, I am using a soft tube to help stress relieve the distro plate and going around the cabling. It's a bit ugly but it works and won't be seen in the final product.

Here it is in all its glory. Hopefully, that soft tube will stress relieve the acrylic as intended.
    [​IMG]

Next, it was time for the pump and the CPU pipes. I have always wanted to do metal tubing after seeing it for the first time around 2010. I was glad to see that it is widely available now, in pre-bent form, eliminating the need to go to the Chrome shop. I choose to use BitFenix hard tubing because I like their fittings as well.
    I also added a valve and outlet before the pump return so I can flush the system more easily.
    Here are the CPU lines aren't they gorgeous? I also love the look of the EK pump cover, look how perfectly it fits.
    [​IMG]

I decided to put in an aquacomputer high flow next after hearing good things about them. Not sure how necessary it is but I figured flow rate would be a good reading to monitor.
    I got in all of the water lines except one and gave it a pressure test. The pressure held on the first try!

[​IMG]

I ended up having another fitting issue on the lower radiator exit so I used 2 right angles. Another ugly looking route that will be hidden, but I still hate it.
    The only thing left to do was the GPU cables before it was ready to get tested and filled up.

[​IMG]

After everything was done I did one last pressure test and It failed. My GPU tube was a little loose, fixed it and it passed with flying colors.
    The cables however are not laying in the distro plate cable channels like I was hoping they would. I am going to need to make a bracket to hold them down.
    [​IMG]

The moment of truth had arrived! I filled the system and turned it on.
    SHE IS ALIVE!
    [​IMG]

Now I just need to get the screen mounted and design a bracket for those rear cables.

Atom Computer, neSSa, arduum and 3 others like this.
  19. Cheapskate

It looks great. :thumb:

20. BofA

BofA What's a Dremel?

Thanks,

I am pretty happy with it so far. "Make a nice custom computer" is off the bucket list

The metal tubes weren't as big a pain as people make it seem (that was the easy part).
    I think I accomplished my goal of fitting the most I could in the case.
    It looks pretty clean but everything is super tight. I had to use forceps to position and plug stuff in.

Very much appreciate all the help I have gotten from these forums.