1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Judge dismisses ISPs' challenge to Digital Economy Bill

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 20 Apr 2011.

1. Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix New Member

Other than a potential ethical situation and customer relations nightmare, I think the biggest reason ISPs are against it is because it is expensive. Real time DPI of ALL of the data that passes through their routers would mean a lot of extra processing power. That is unless they don't mind slowing down speeds significantly.

This is the reason why I suspect anything happens, only unencrypted traffic will be monitored. I don't even think it would be possible to decrypt, and even if they could, it would not be worth the effort.

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Decrypt SSL please, I'd really like to see you try. :eyebrow:

And since when is copyright protection more important than keeping my private data private? I didn't know the goverment was allowed to know everything about me, all the time, everywhere...

3. Denis_iii

Denis_iii New Member

Any recommendations on a paid for secure genuine stable truly anonymous does not look at my data usage browsing history proxy server?
    You know the ones that hide my location and I can even select what country my traffic appears to be coming from?

4. tad2008

tad2008 New Member

Catching the keys at either end of the exchange is certainly a very real possibility but I would imagine that banks and other institutions would be up in arms over anything like this due to their users privacy and confidentiality. For monitoring high risk criminal activity or terrorism I would imagine where something like this would likely be used.

This could of course be bypassed by even the average user with a pre-setup already encrypted key or via any site that encrypts the keys before hand making it nigh on impossible for any interception to gain access to the actual keys themselves. As compared to the TLS / SSL model which uses a predefined master key and then the server and client create a key that is shared and could be intercepted.

Real time DPI is certainly easily achievable on a CPU level but as far as storing all the data with hard drives there would be a serious slow down created from the bottleneck in data transfers. I don't think even SSD's would save them a significant amount either and would probably become burnt out in a short space of time.

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Yet how many pedos have been caught when they handed in their pc for repair?

The government has been snooping the web traffic for years.Can't let the IRA or UVF run amok.......oh wait, they do.

6. ObeyTheCreed

ObeyTheCreed New Member

I really hope the US doesn't try this, otherwise the servers they use will be overwhelmed by attacks from about 2 million teenagers pissed off that they can't illegaly download their pr0n -.-

Tags: Add Tags