1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News JURI approves controversial EU copyright Articles

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 20 Jun 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Lovely.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm kinda jealous of Brexit now. Not that your laws are much different.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Don't worry, once we are out of the EU we will no doubt one up them with an even more restrictive law, after all May has promised to make us the "safest" place on planet internet.

5. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

By banning encryption, if I remember correctly.

MLyons likes this.
  6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

+1 for maybot and her ilk will no doubt take this and run with it, dialling it up to 11 in the process...

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I am more worried about the fact that the people consulting on these issues are the same for almost all EU countries. It feels like the one-eyed leading the blind, while the one-eyed is repeatedly stabbing himself/herself in the eye while the blind try to bite their own legs off while stumbling behind.

Wait a second, I may have just accidentally found a fitting description/analogy for the way our countries are run. And, now that I start to think about it more, the absolute worst is that there was a large group of people who voted these idiots into their current positions. After all, article 20 of the Basic Law for the Federal Republic of Germany says that "(2) All state authority is derived from the people."

Last edited: 20 Jun 2018
  8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

This makes me wonder about the MEPs sitting on the committee, the only reason i can think of for why they thought this would be a good idea is that they've been paid off.

9. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

So you won't be able to quote this without talking to Rob Reiners lawyers first?

2cmbz9.jpg

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

looks like the EU parliament rejected JURI's recommendation by 318-278.

11. perplekks45

It's going back to being double-/tripple-checked. No outright rejection and no end to the campaigns both ways.

Corky42 likes this.
  12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

True, apologies for repeating the misleading BBC headline, it's apparently going to be voted on again in September so at least that buys a little more time.

13. perplekks45

I'm getting really annoyed at all the copyright-related activism on both sides of the argument. Nobody really wants to touch the existing laws (in a fundamental and necessary way) to give a more accurate reflection of copyright in a modern, digital world. Plus it is pretty hilarious for me to see the RIAA/MPAA campaign to ban systems used to record stuff off the internet. Reminds me of the same discussions about cassette and video tapes back in the 80s and CD/DVD burners in the 90s.

The only people falling behind are the artists and us, the consumers. The gap between an artist who made it and one who hasn't (yet) in financial terms is getting bigger and bigger. And we have to pay more and more to satisfy the greedy corporations behind it, to use an all-familiar picture.

/rant

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

HOME TAPING IS KILLING MUSIC!

perplekks45 likes this.
  15. perplekks45

It sure did, didn't it? I mean... there's no more music being made and definitely no record revenues year after year after year for the record industry. Yeah... :wallbash:

MLyons likes this.
Tags: Add Tags