1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Just A-PC - Completed - 05 April, 2013

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mosquito, 26 Aug 2012.

1. Razbit

Razbit What's a Dremel?

It's just something awesome to watch someone have talent to do woodworking with hand tools, some of which are quite old..

Looks good so far, keep up the good work, brother. :thumb:

PS.
    May I suggest Hazel stain + semi-matte varnish?

2. maestro0428

maestro0428 Master Modder

Hand tools!? Very cool. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

3. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

Hand tools keep the neighbors from complaining about the noise of a saw or drill being used in your apartment. lol Keep up the good work.

4. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Thanks, I've been going all hand tools lately, partly because then I can work in my apartment, and also because I find it more enjoyable. I hope to not disappoint. :)

This is very true... though sometimes I wonder if they can hear the sawing, or hand planing through the walls... occasionally I bet they can hear the hammer from time to time... But if the layout is the same as the neighbor on my living room side, then the bedroom I use for my "shop" would be next to their living room, so I wouldn't be disturbing any sleeping :) (don't ask how I know that my neighbors bedroom is next to my living room... :duh:)

5. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Your thread you can go OT if you want. I like the feel of older tools also, back then they were made to last unlike today where it's use it once and throw it away.

6. Mosquito

Thanks, and welcome to Bit-Tech :)

7. Sviatoslav

Sviatoslav What's a Dremel?

Awesome job there, always respected hand tools, let's you put your soul into it!

8. Mosquito

Thanks :) It's a lot more peaceful and relaxing too. Something about being able to say "made with all hand tools" that's kind of fun too

Waynio likes this.
  9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Excellent progress Mosquito & looking sweet, it's extra awesome due to the tools you are using also. :D:dremel::cooldude:

10. Mosquito

Thanks Waynio. It's been fun so far :)

11. morgansk

morgansk I've got wood

There's something oddly satisfying in using a handed-down tool. And you can go on all day about yours as I'll be listening - I have a load of hand-downs, most from my Dad but also a bunch from other people who have gone before, and I cherish them more than any others that I have purchased. It's somewhere between a feeling of awe, reverence and just plain pleasure!

12. Mosquito

Can't agree more man. :thumb:

I'm also now working on making my own handplane(s) that will hopefully stand the test of time, and get handed down from me eventually :)

13. Mosquito

Update - Completed - 05 April, 2013

Been a while, but I finally got around to taking the final pictures. I redid the veneer on the top and also made it stand up a little higher than the edges, because it felt like it was missing that little something. I did it because it sort of mimics the idea of the base that way. Also added some mesh in the top cut out.

Finish is 3 coats of Shellac polished with pastewax.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking it out :)

Asouter likes this.
  14. Asouter

Asouter --------

Nice use of tools, I dragged out some chisels form the shed for the last build and hadn't done any wood work before, it is oddly satisfying.

Great finish to the case

15. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

Nice to see you got this guy finished. Looks great. Looks good with the little rise on the top piece. Helps bring it all together. So what's your next project?

16. Mosquito

@Asouter, thanks. I saw that... I think I sharpen mine a bit more often :lol:

@avolla, thanks. I finished it a week or two after you were down here for the modders meetup, just hadn't gotten around to taking pictures lol. As far as what's next? Finish my server rebuild... and my workbench... and my handplane... :worried:

17. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

Nice to see an update on this, you've got some real talent with the hand tools. What do you use this for now? HTPC?

18. Mosquito

Thanks, I've been getting better over the past year working with mostly handtools.
    As far as use, I'm actually not using it at the moment. It just sits on the shelf and looks neat, I guess. I don't really have any TVs that don't have HTPCs already lol