1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling just a thought on cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alkammy, 28 Nov 2005.

1. alkammy

alkammy What's a Dremel?

i am fairly new around these parts but whilst reading through these cooling posts i had a thought....

could you not just get one of those compact fridges and punch a couple of holes in the side for your cables?!

or am i just being a fool? (as usual!)

condensation could be a problem .. granted.. but so could a leak in a cooling tube.
    am i not seeing the bigger picture?

take it easy

Alkammy

2. The_Dude2040

The_Dude2040 What's a Dremel?

what do you mean, put a rad inside a mini fridge??

3. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

i think he means the whole pc...pretty sure this has been tested before and was a big no no, apart from condensation problems, and trying to get the cables out of there in a well insulated manner...

4. alkammy

alkammy What's a Dremel?

yeh i did mean the whole machine.

regarding the condensation, could the fridge not also be packed with scillica gell
    (never was any good at spelling!) or is this hard to get hold of in large enough quantities?

and what do you mean by well insulated cables?

take it easy

Alkammy

5. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

well, with the cable insulation, you know how on doors of fridges/freezers, you get that rubber foam type stuff, that is meant to insulate it upon closing...well, something along those lines which would stop the coldness (crappy word, but easy to describe) from going from the inside to the outside...also some of the cables would be a lot thicker (vga, power) then others (kb, mouse)...

i am pretty sure though that the main arguement against it is, that the fridge/freezer just doesnt do that great a job, once the whole thing is in there, possibly oc'd and pumping out xxxW's of heat, depending on the cpu...maybe if you used a sub 40W laptop chip of somekind....but for exactly this reason one should never put hot stuff into a fridge...

eZ now...

6. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Outside of the insulation/cable routing issues (which could be overcome), the basic problem is that fridges are not designed for continuous duty.
    They are meant to cool down, then hold, a stable, low temp.
    You are introducing a heat source that would force the unit to run all the time and it would quicky burn out.

If you want to use a household appliance in a cooling loop try a window AC unit with your rad strapped to the output side. It would be noisy, but should work.
    Of course, then you have the same condensation issues inside the PC that the phase changers deal with so it's a real tradeoff.

7. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Fridge compressors cant take the kind of heat a cpu gives off. The compressor would burn out and you got a dead system if you dont catch it on time as the fridge interior is a good insulator.

Do as above get a window ac unit and starp a rad in it. Or take apart an ac unit and use the front condenser on it submerged in liquid witch you then can pump into a water block. In effect you can make a chiller like that. Just insulate the block area and the tubes and you should be reaching sub zero temps in no time.

Has been done before. Check out xtreme systems forums if your interested in something like that. And on the bright side if you alredy have a watercooling unit a window ac unit wont cost as mutch as a mini fridge. Not to mention allot of mini fridges are peltier based and thus make your idea unpheaseble.

8. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

quite a good idea, thought by many minds :D

Not aiming this at you personally but when people click on the extreme cooling there should be a page which says ' pc in a fridge will not work ' lol :p

Good idea, however it has been thought from probably near enough everyone on this forum :D

9. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I dunno I'm gonna hafta disagree on whether or not a fridge pc could work well.
    People have done freezer pc's before to decent success and I don't think condensation is as big as a problem as people make it as generally most of the pc would be above ambient.

Anyhow I was talking to some guys in heating and cooling and the trick (although wasteful) would be to modfiy the fridge into runnin 24/7 AND to make sure its one thats cooling more than you are heating.
    Generally this is not a good idea because air is an inefficient cooling medium so even 50 deg air wouldn't be much worth it. Very reasonably would be to perhaps have a 2-3gal resevoir along with radiator in a fridge or freezer, that would issue much better results

At any rate the reason you would want to run em 24/7 as stopping and starting is what is generally hard on a condenser motors, when i worked in a grocery store those giant dairy coolers and such run 24/7 and I've never seen them shut down once in the 2 years I was there. As long as those condenser run 24/7 they have insanely long service lifes, but that is also a pretty big current draw if your paying your own energy bill. Also doing anything to make it more effecient (Ak watercooling) would be great as pc's might put out a lot of heat but not all of it needs extraneous cooling (basically just the Nb, cpu and gpu)

sorry I'm rambling, but I've been considering sticking my res in my minifridge and finding something (maybe 20% ethyl Alcohol?) to run the loop at subzero temps.

Tags: