1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Just Cause 2 won't run on XP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Feb 2010.

1. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

i doubt this wil hapen with direct x11 cards becoming available at under £100 becasue of this i think directx10 days are numberd

2. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

I like how they specify that XP is unsupported. Otherwise tons of people who dont read the requirements will have something of a case when they start bitching how they wasted there money n a game they can't play.

3. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

It's taken a while but we are finally seeing dx10 as the minimum, also my 8800 has now become a minimum requirement. I knew this day was coming, gulp !!

4. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

"While the lack of support for Windows XP is unlikely to worry most bit-tech.net readers (what with the tech-savvy ways and spiffy hardware)"

Really? My gaming hardware is DX10 but runs Windows XP and I've never had a reason to pay to upgrade. I'm as tech savy as you get and have no real plans on paying money for zero extra features.

I've got nothing against Windows 7, its very nice on my laptop but there is nothing except a little eye candy that it could add to my PC. I'd say you're a brave developer to cut off 40% of your audience unless thats going to reduce your costs by 40%.

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

well 40% of the PC market, which is miniscule compared to what it'll sell on consoles. i doubt they're too worried. its primarily a console title anyways

6. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I think what he/I meant was that since this a DX10-only title the DX10 features should be better-implemented than had it been a DX9 game with DX10 features added on to right before release.

7. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Frostbite engine in Bad Company 2 also doesn't include AA in DX9 mode, DX10 or DX11 are required to enable it, from what i gather.

8. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Good evolve or die. Its time to move forward

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

if you want this game there is a reason to upgrade, simples

10. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Seems odd to be Dx10 or above only as (i assume) it will be out on consoles to. I thought the Dx the 360 used was 9?

11. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Last year it would've mattered, but I upgraded to 7 today with more RAM. Next month the graphics card will round it off.

Still got XP but in dualboot on another drive, so I can play both new and old games without a hitch.

So I think Eidos are looking at the PC userbase of the last three years which may have shipped with Vista from the off - and are targeting them rather than people with good specs but without Vista minimum. They're in business and have to perform for their new owners, so it's their decision. I didn't do my upgrade just for AvP or this game but because my graphics card was underpowered. Doing the upgrade will let me keep gaming and the next time it falls behind I'll just build another one or go to consoles.

Last edited: 25 Feb 2010
  12. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

This DX10-exclusive move might also prove to be an effective way of reducing piracy :)

13. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

"While the lack of support for Windows XP is unlikely to worry most bit-tech.net readers "

Speak for yourself. I'm still running XP here and I don't have the money to waste on Windows 7 at the moment.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

thats correct about battlefield 2 bad company

its all on there forums no AA in direct x 9 you must enable 10 or better for AA to work.

so 2 new titles both really require vista or above

win7 could be had for as little as £50 back on release thats when i got it.

15. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Technically the 360 has its own version of the DX API which is not directly comparable with the pc version. However, I remember reading that it is somewhere between DX9 and DX10 (sort of a DX9.5), this would make sense given the hardware is somewhere between DX9 and 10.

I must admit I am not too bothered about JC2. I played the first one and thought it was decidedly average at best. My main pc is running Vista X64 so if I did wich to play it at least I can.

Last edited: 25 Feb 2010
  16. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

@all the XP users
    How many DX10 only games releases will it take before you upgrade?
    Or are you going to wait until 2014 and the product end of life?

(*edit, this sounds more snarky than I intended, I meant it as a genuine question)

17. klimatekhange

klimatekhange What's a Dremel?

There were a few games that supported Direct X 10 only (Halo 2 for example) when Vista first came out an age ago. These games weren't good enough to move people to Vista then ...

Until Just Cause 2 comes out who can say if it's the killer game that makes people desperate to move OS. I've got Win 7 and like it a lot. I'm dual booting less and less into XP. If games makers really wanted to make a seismic shift they would move to Direct X 11 only games.

18. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

You are not a PC Gamer if you do not have Win7, it really is that simple.

19. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

just get a fast harddrive. that is what slows most PCs down these days. not the os.

20. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Excuse me? Win2K/XP (based on the WinNT codebase) was a complete overhaul compared to Win9x and offered significant features like better stability, multiple-processor support, a radically better filesystem, security/permissions settings and an end to the 64K User/GDI/System heap restrictions (which could greatly limit Win9x's ability to multitask).

In comparison, Vista/7 added a new network stack (and yes, wasn't everyone over the moon over the "massive" improvements it made to Internet access and LAN file copy speeds) and moved the graphics subsystem out of the kernel (resulting in slower performance - speed was why it was moved into the kernel in WinNT 3.51). Oh, and lots of eye candy (which Win2K/XP can also do with third party software) and a few UI tweaks (either present-but-not-in-your-face with Win2K/XP or doable with extra software, free in many cases).

The downsides, lest anyone forget, include more obnoxious "anti-piracy" checks, slower performance (in part due to greater use of redirection/emulation, in part due to design flaws) and (generally) an increasing price (Windows 7 Pro £219, Vista Business £289, WinXP Pro £260, Win2000 Pro £260,WinME £139, Win98 £162 - listing the "professional" prices since 64-bit Win7 Home Premium has an artificially low memory limit, 16GB versus 192GB).
    Well, the PC this is being typed on (not my gaming system) is running Win2K and I've no plans to change it. As for DX10/11 exclusives, I'll just give them a miss - I find XP barely tolerable (needing extensive registry work and customisation via XPLite to remove the dross) and this seems to be an increasing trend with Microsoft ever since WinME, making it harder for end-users to control what their system is doing.

As such the most logical migration choice would be to Linux using Wine for gaming - unlike Microsoft, the Wine project have no commercial interest in trying to limit access to DX10+.

Tags: Add Tags