1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Just gained big jump in FPS by down clocking my CPU!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr Meltdown, 20 Jun 2017.

1. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Got a GTX 1080 a couple of weeks ago and was actually quite disappointed with it. I finally got around to swapping motherboards same time and overclocking a xeon X5660 initially to 4.2Ghz (21x200) with speed step on.

At 1080P with all the settings on max in hitman and vsync off the test mode would average about 70fps, FO4 was about 58fps . Not exactly what i was expecting. I ended up at 4.5Ghz with no real movement in FPS.

Just now i down clocked it to 175fsb = 3.6Ghz max to reduce temps etc in hot weather and also to see how much slower it would be. My FPS has jumped to 75 in FO4 and I then ran the test in Hitman and it was 101FPS average. Benchmarks seem faster as well.

It wasnt thermal throttling at 4Ghz+ so any ideas why it is faster, slower? :eyebrow:

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Sometimes when you push a CPU or GPU too far you get diminishing returns and sometimes performance drops. Had it happen on GPUs lots.

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Internal timings that you do not have control over get more and more loose as you increase frequency, at least on the older platforms anyway. That does not explain the big difference, though. Perhaps something else was at play here.

4. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

All 6 cores active according to CAM and in gaming it wasnt stressing the CPU at all and hitting about 57c at 4.5Ghz. GPU is not overclocked at all.

No fancy bios settings just everything on auto except fsb so PCI and ram etc shouldnt be out. I'll have a fiddle tonight and go up in 5mhz increments until it drops off the FPS and see what I find.

5. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Right ho all wasnt as simple as it sounded..

I found the CAM software running has a massive effect on Hitman FPS, but not noticeable on FO4. So I'd obviously turned it off when my FPS suddenly jumped up in Hitman test.

FO4 is a bit random and basically has a type of vsync so not a very good FPS benchmark so no idea why it jumped to a silky smooth 75 when i dropped the CPU speed down to 3.6Ghz as i couldnt replicate it later.

Anyway, results of some testing: (Hitman test is average FPS shown at the end of the benchmark test)

4.2ghz 200fsb
    Hitman test
    Cam on = av 87 fps
    Cam off = av 103 fps

Fallout 4 60 fps

3.6ghz 200fsb

Hitman test
    Cam on = av 80 fps
    Cam off = av 100 fps

Fallout 4 60 fps

2.8ghz 200fsb

Hitman test
    Cam on 88 fps
    Cam off 120 fps

Fallout 4 77 fps

It still seemed happier slower. I left it there for a few days as the temps were so low, but now back up to 4Ghz again as the best all round compromise. LOL