1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii / Wii U Just got a Wii

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kenco_uk, 24 Apr 2008.

1. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

My mrs did something unexpected today. We were getting something for tea from Sainsbury's and she asks if the Wii Sports Pack is a good price. I thought it was okay, so she put it in the shopping basket.

After having a few goes on Wii Sports, I have to say I feel a fair bit underwhelmed. I had visions of much merriment at a game that although not looking particularly sexy, played really well and was such good fun that we'd fall asleep on the sofa exhausted. I suppose it takes a bit of practice, but baseball and golf were a bit hit and miss, boxing was okay, but bowling was the best. It seemed to get old quickly though, for me.

It's the same when I had a Gamecube for a short while. I found myself never really playing it, despite having some of the a-rated titles for it, at the time. It was fun, but not gripping.

I guess I just haven't got much in the way of Nintendo blood in me :(

I just don't want to give up on it, as it does look quite sexy next to the telly :)

Are there any Wii games that come highly recommended that a PS3 owner should seriously contemplate buying?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

You've got to remember that most wii games are designed for 20 mins of play, or with friends.

Hardcorish: Zelda: Twilight princess, no more heroes, pro evo 08 (nothing like ps3/360)

3. EternalIllusion

EternalIllusion What's a Dremel?

Neither do I. If someone gave me one as a present i'd have to Ebay it or something.

4. Major

Major Guest

Buy Mario Kart Wii + Super Mario Galaxy, then you'll be happy. ;)

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Wario Ware, best game EVAR!

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Try Super Mario Galaxy, NFS:Carbon (usually a crap game, but on the Wii it worked for me), hell, even Red Steel might be good for you. Wii Fit's coming soon, but if you don't like Wii sports you might not like it.

Lego Star Wars (and soon Lego Indy) is on the Wii, but it's also on every other console for ages. Star Wars - The Force Unleashed looks brilliant, but it's not out until September... So that's a way aways yet... :(

7. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa What's a Dremel?

Agreed

8. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Mario galaxies is short i've heard. I have both a ps3 and a wii, and the one thing that always attracts me about the wii is multiplayer with friends over, though i have to complain about the Wifi on my wii, since my router is 3 floors up, and it runs off wireless G not N, i don't have the best signal and its far too laggy to play online. I do enjoy smash bros brawl, but only with friends. I find the wii most user-friendly especially with a group of people, but for solo playing either an adventure game like zelda or mario games, or go back to your ps3 and pc.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

SMG is definately not short imho. :)

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Actually, the Wii only uses B.

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Wii Sports is very much of those twenty minutes have fun for a bit games. Personally, I like Golf the best. Bowling is too samey, boxing too tiring, baseball to crap and tennis to dull.

Here's what you do; head down to Gamestation and grab a copy of No More Heroes for yourself and Warioware for your Mrs and for a party game. If you want a game to play with your mates after a few beers then get a copy of House of The Dead Return and if your Mrs wants something to pass the time then you can pick up Korinpa from Morrisons for about a fiver now, which is well worth it. The game will entertain her for a few weeks easily. Metroid Prime is a good choice for you too.

NFS is pretty bad and Red Steel won't be as good as you expect. Wii Fit isn't a game. Super Mario Galaxy is a game you can't go wrong with - you and your missus will love it and probably take it in turns to try and beat it as I did with my gf.

Don't grab Twilight Princess. I'm going to be controversial here and tell it as it is; it's an awful game. My girlfriend and I sat down to play it recently and its just a horribly, horribly designed game. Working together we got an hour in and didn't get anyway because the tutorial sequence is just nasty. People fluctuate between giving you inane, stupid missions and advice (I'll teach you how to use my sword if you can get my fishing rod from my mum who wants you to get her something from the store but the shop keeper will only sell things if you get his cat back for him but the cat wants a fish so quick, turn into an eagle and catch a fish for him ffs) and not saying anything insightful at all (Taking the fishing rod back to the boy and he just says "Great, now I can fish" over and over). I wish I was joking and I reckon the game probably does pick up later, but to be honest I couldn't care less when a game which was supposed to launch with the Gamecube gets the basics that wrong for no real reason.

12. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

I could not agree more, I really wanted to give zelda some serious time, but just couldnt stomach it any further than the first kidnapping. It was almost as if they made the early tutorial quests so mind numbingly boring to make you feel that the game was amazingly exciting at latter stages. Also the tutorials seemed nothing more than they were, poor attempts at wiimote familiarisation.

I personally feel that Wii Sports could be great, however i feel the golf is rather limited (swing power/direction and club/shot selection) and too short. I like the bowling (but that is because I am crap at it) so it becomes a challenge.

Overall, take Joe's advice, find yourself a couple of games that really hold your attention for single/partner playing, and get a few titles in for where the Wii really comes into its own, group/party play!

13. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Personally, I though Zelda TP was fantastic - loved playing it. I still haven't had time to properly play Mario Galaxy though. :(

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I felt the same way with OOT a year or two ago when I replayed that, I used to love that game and I grabbed it and a GC for cheap as I had sold my N64 long ago, it would have definitely been in my top 10 games, but when I replayed it I was severely underwhelmed. :sigh:

Just remember that the Wii is much more fun with lots of people around, the single player games cane be good, but they're definitely nowhere near as good as the multiplayer ones. It's definitely not a console that excels at single player like the PS3 and 360 are, although I see no reason why it shouldn't, it's just the single player games for it aren't amazing.

Isn't the Arcade 360 actually cheaper than the Wii now?

15. kenco_uk

Well, what a response! Thankyou everyone :thumb:

SMG seems to (as always with a Super Mario game) get rave reviews, so I'll have to look into getting that.

Mario Kart looks like ruddy good fun. No More Heroes, I've read, is a little unpolished, but reeks of good gameplay if you peer past the thin layer of lacquer.

And unexpectedly, Warioware. I'd never've thought to get this, tbh, but it's on my list now! As well as Kororinpa (one I've never even heard of, tbh, but thanks for the recommendation, Joe).

I might pick up Zelda if I see it cheap. I've also got a feeling I may have to get Super Monkey Ball, as that was the one game that got played a lot on the Gamecube.

Has anyone given Super Paper Mario a go?

Thanks again!

Last edited: 24 Apr 2008
  16. CardJoe

Korinpa and Super Monkey Ball are essentially the same game.

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I had a look at that game when I was in game the other day, it mainly caught my eye because it was kawaii desu ne, I then mentally slapped myself for my moment of weeabooness. Although I was still interested after that as I like strange games.

When I first played Wario Ware the first 10 minutes was me thinking, "Jesus Christ WTF is going on?", it's an incredibly strange game, but if you turn your sanity off while playing it it's great fun. Best played with lots of people so you can laugh at each other about how much of a **** you all look.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2008
  18. kenco_uk

Aye, sounds like it (I'm reading through some reviews on metacritic) - I'll have to see and get to Morrisons soon, see if they've got Kororinpa cheap.

19. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

Paper mario on the GC was awesome so I can only hope that it will be good on the Wii, Zack & Wiki seems like it would be pretty cool, my copy is arriving tomo... Also if you never played Resi 4 on the GC the Wii version is meant to be just as good... That was one of those games that I couldn't put down even after I finished it I played all the extras and then went for round two...

20. CardJoe

Aye, Resident Evil 4 is very much worth the effort. Zack and Wiki didn't really impress me all that much.

Tags: