1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Just got back from the applestore!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lovah, 8 Jun 2005.

1. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Didn't buy that much. Just went with a bunch of questions. The thing I love about this store is that the guys actually know what they are talking about. Haven't seen that in any other computer store.

Bought
    - Griffin technology : iCurve (stand for laptop)
    - Apple Keyboard, white, usb, QWERTY

Next on list
    - Mouse, probably Apple mouse, USB
    - Airport Express

- New screen (as mentioned in my other Thread)

I did take a look at the 20" they had. (they took one from there magazine and connected it to show me) And I must say it was stunning. I placed a Powerbook 12" that was in the showroom next to it.. and it was just marvelous.

I asked him the same question, Apple Dell. And he aswell aknowledged that the screen internal is the same. And he was aware of possible backlight leakage with the Dell model. He didnt have an answer to how come the Apple's are flawless. He has personally inspected a bunch of Apple displays and has yet to encounter one with a flaw.

He did however aknowledged there is no cheap way of connecting two computers to the DVI Inlet on the screen. Wich is a huge downside. That and only that, has pushed me to the Dell solution. Sadly I must admit.

I'm still a little worried I will get a bad screen and it will drag on a long time untill I get a refund. (Had a similar problem with a graphics card, took 3 months to replace it)

So still undecided about it.. but Since I don't have much choices, I will probably go dell.

I do however have one other solution.
    Listen up

Ok. I put my Powerbook on the iCurve, my Acer screen next to it. (using that as a secundary screen). And then getting an Apple 20" widescreen, to use on my PC! And if necessary, connecting it to the Powerbook, but that wouldn't be the natural way to go, since its a bugger to disconnect and connect it all the time.

Hmmm what to to, what to do!

L

2. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

You should be fine. The Dell screens are very nice and cheap.

Also, where'd you get your quote from?

3. Lovah

Quote? Explain please.

Sorry, I'm not native english, but I do my very best! I assume you mean the price's? Prices are on apple.com and dell.com.

L

4. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Get the dell, if you have a problem they will swap it out for you (cross shipping too)

5. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I believe he's talking about your signature "Common sense is not so common".

Firstly, forget the Apple mouse, they're overpriced for one button. :D Get a nice two button mouse with a scroll wheel and maybe a couple of other usefull butons on the side.

If you ask any employee at any Apple store which is better, a Dell or Apple display, they're obviously going to say the Apple display. I think the Dell monitors are excellent. The casing of the Apple displays look nicer, but are a lot more expensive.

6. Lovah

I don't think I read the quote somewhere, probably something I just thought off. Had it since I registered here...

Well; I would love the Apple display; even though they cost over 180€ more. I would not Mind.

But the problem is it only has one Input.
    Now I did find a DVI Switch thingy, with USB and everything. So that would be just super! But the problem is that it costs another 180€. It will save me the money for a keyboard and mouse.. so that saves me 60€.

But that still makes the Apple 300€ more expensive then the Dell. Thats Half the price. So I am going to buy the Dell.

If it turns out to have bad leakage; I could ask a refund and go for the Apple. But lets hope I don't have too.

Thanks all for help

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I went to the new Apple store in Birmingham (UK). Saw two 30" wide-screen Apple Studios running side-by-side...

I think I whimpered.

8. ciaran.mooney

ciaran.mooney Minimodder

Look further down to the right and theres a PowerBook with some professional camera plugged in, plus a 20" screen. And its a dual screen set up with automatic switching between screens.

That *really* impressed me.

Im personally thinking of either getting a Mac Mini, are Dell still doing those deals on TFT's?

9. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

I don't own anything apple but I did see the 30 inch displays up and running in the local Fry's. They were only running some sort of music visualization but I definitely whimpered. Very impressive stuff.

10. Shambla

Shambla What's a Dremel?

I just got my 20" Apple cinema display this week for a mere £470 with higher education discount. First impressions are incredibly good, both in terms of image and build quality - it is quite simply the most gorgeous looking piece of technology I have ever owned (and that covers a whole lot of shiny things). My only slight criticism is that occasionally when the screen is almost entirely (or close to) white there seems to be a barely perceptible flicker, which seems strange for an LCD. However, I think this is as likely to be caused by my graphics card than the LCD, but I won't be able to check this until I get home from university in a couple of weeks (since I only have one PC with me). This small criticism aside (and it really is a small criticism) I would highly recommend the 20" cinema display, particularly if you can get HE discount.

11. Lovah

Hi Shambla,

I do get the education price. But even with the education price, the screen is still 180€ more expensive than the dell. And I still need to purchase a DVI switch-box. Wich cost another 180€. So that sed, I am going to try out the Dell 20" first.. if it dissapoints me in anyway, I will probably return it, and go for the Apple monitor.

Thank you for your reply! :)

Tags: