1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Just had an Oh **** moment

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 31 Jul 2012.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Hooked up my test bed pc just to check out a HDD, basically the mobo on it's cardboard box and everything else scattered around.

Wired everything in, short the power header terminals with a screw driver, distinct lack of sound from the cpu fan, hang on there is no cpu fan, or heatsink for that matter, holy crap panics to turn it off, no power button as it's not in a case, quickly thinking I hit the power button on the back of the psu.

Bricking myself I think I may have fried the cpu but it's not even remotely hot so there must be a small window before it cooks itself luckily.

It's only an old X2 4800 and after fitting the stock cooler I find it hasn't been damaged but still, phew.

2. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

I wasn't so lucky, one day I hear a thud as the heat-sink fell off my X2 6000 (OC'D) which promptly died within the few seconds it took me to switch it off.

The damned plastic CPU socket had failed.... time to try Intel next ?

No-LOL

dunx

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I remember doing that with a Pentium D. Killed it outright. :duh:

4. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

Wiring up son's pc and put wrong part of 12vEATX at the 4pin header. Turn on psu and had some smoke from psu. But all goes fine in the end

send from my BLADE via tapatalk

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

How did you manage that? The 2x4 pins that make up the 8 pin have different layouts so it shouldn't be physically possible unless you use a tonne of force lol

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I forgot to add that momentarilly I thought it was dead but then I remembered I had pulled the lead from the psu to esnure I didn't accidentally turn it on again.

To add to it all while re-felting the roof of one of my wifes guinea pig hutches I disturb a red ants nest and then promptly decide to stand in it in trainers with no socks, those little b@stards have a nasty bite, I had at least 5 in each trainer.

I'm having a bit of a blonde day today even though I'm not blonde.

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I've totally had those moments. Got my PC back after I'd RMA'd the motherboard to scan because It wasn't working. Wired it up on the Motherboard box, fine, put it all in the case, hit the power button; nothing happens. I bricked it before I remembered I'd forgotten to connect the power-button.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You ain't a PC enthusiast unless you've wasted an entire evening because of the wrong network cable! :D ;)

9. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I've wasted two days on trying to get Windows Vista to play nice with Kubuntu 8.04? Bloody XP would do the link and happily treat the Kubuntu machine for the connection, Vista would have none of it.

10. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

+4800 will take a good 15mins till it heats up.

I had one in a home server and took the fan off to test the mobo would shutdown when it hit 90.

I was waiting what felt like years. AMD CPU's are alot cooler compared to Intels.

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Edited the title of this. Please don't circumvent swear filters in the future.

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

[​IMG]

In other, non-PC related 'tard news, I woke up after about an hour's sleep a few mornings ago, applied toothpaste to my electric toothbrush and then promptly stabbed myself in the eye with it. Having sworn a bit I then did exactly the same thing again.

No idea why. It did wake me up though.

Oh, and it's good to see you outside of the graveyard shift Noiz :thumb:

Last edited: 31 Jul 2012
  13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Public appology, I thought that particular word wasn't bothered about.

Will avoid in the future.

14. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

CPU's have a an overheating protection system. Where it will throttle down when over heating. And if that still makes it heat yup, it shut off. So while I don't have fun these days trying this out. It should protect you your CPU.

15. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Hmm I don't know wy I didn't think of the overheating protection system, I suppose I was just thinking that it would rocket up so fast it wouldn't be able to kick in.

How do people get cpu's to fry on youtube etc, just disable the OPS?

16. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well if the sensor is broken, or the voltages are set to high value that break things inside, such as the overheating protection. Or maybe a manufacture error, where the system is broken. Or they have it turned off (if they can).

17. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I mistakenly (in my younger, less knowledgeable days) decided to see how hot my broken Thunderbird based AMD Athlon got. My finger took a couple of weeks to heal...

I also had a penchant for switching the PSUs on the donated PCs from my uncle over to 110v. I went through about 3 before I thought, "hmm, perhaps I should stop doing this".

18. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Not going to try it anytime soon, even if I had endless funds I don't like the idea of purposely killing hardware :).

19. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I remember my old job, when I was testing newly built PCs at a now defunct manufacturer.
    Got a machine on my desk, did my usual visual inspection, just to check the builder hadn't made any of the usual mistakes (cables in wrong sockets, or not plugged in or just missing etc.), and proceeded to power it up.
    No POST, that's odd thinks I, so I flick the PSU off and have another look at the hardware. Still no obvious flaws, so I just check everything is inserted fully. I give the RAM a little wobble, to check it's seated, and it seemed fine. In fact, it didn't even move a little bit, I look closer to see that the hapless builder has somehow managed to jam the RAM in backwards, mashing the little tab (that is supposed to prevent this) out of the way.
    Given how much it can hurt your thumbs even correctly inserting RAM, I have no idea how they managed to put it in the wrong way without cutting into their hands.

On an overheating note, I had one of those big Zalman flower coolers on an early Athlon64. I was trying to play a demo of the new UT game (2k4?), but the PC kept hanging after about 10 mins of gaming, but would sit stable in windows with no issues.
    Turns out I'd managed to route a cable straight through the heatsink, completely jamming the fan. :duh:

20. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

I did that once, only once mind. Didn't think at all and was like "ooh I wonder why there is a switch on the back of the psu" so I decided to see what happens, POP goes the PSU and there was a funny smell in the air but everything else was fine.