1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Just recieved the X4 740 for my wifes new build.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 18 Sep 2013.

1. MSHunter

MSHunter Well-Known Member

Yeah since scan brought out scan sure the first thing they ask did you get scan sure if not they try to say its your own fault.

Lesson learned back to ebuyer and amazon. been using ebuyer longer then scan tbh. couple years back had bright dot issue a new TV and luckily had 2 with in 3 inch radius and they replaced free of charge to me.

2. teppic

teppic New Member

I had a similarish problem too. I ordered a CPU/Board/RAM bundle from them including a case to put them in. I asked first if there'd be any problem, since I'd heard high profile RAM has problems with the cooler. They say no, no problem, they could raise the fan slightly. I asked if it'd interfere with the case, since I knew it was very tight. They said, no, no problem, it fits fine.

Got the bundle and the case. It wouldn't fit, because of what they'd done. Plus they'd moved the fan up so much, the bottom of the heatsink wasn't even getting any air. I asked them to replace the RAM with smaller RAM, and they did that, but wouldn't refund my old RAM fully (giving me something like £30 less than I paid for it).

I swore not to use them again - but then made the mistake of doing so, and had the problem I described a few posts back. Let's say that twice stung is more than enough for me.

With Amazon, ebuyer and ocuk I've never had any issues at all.

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Well-Known Member

Lets not forget their "free" deliver offer is only valid if you order over their TOLL hotline......
    because its not like its saved to your account right? Well actually it is saved on your account but their system can not handle giving it to you when you order online.......

Yeah that was not planned that way........ RIGHT!

4. teppic

teppic New Member

Once they were good, but now it's all about penny pinching, doing everything they can to get out of replacing faulty goods, dodging the Sales of Goods act, selling stuff returned to them as brand new, etc. Packing up an OEM processor in a retail box and selling it as new sounds typical from what I've read and experienced.

When I started a thread on here to rant about how they were dealing with my APU, they just got it closed so it would disappear. Any other company I've dealt with would have tried to resolve it.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2013
  5. CrapBag

CrapBag Well-Known Member

I just want to clear up that it wasnt scan I purchased from in this instance but I am really not fond of scans rma rules.

6. teppic

teppic New Member

Ah, this is so typical of them that I'm surprised it's anybody else. Still, other decent companies will definitely give you a full refund including return postage, with no questions.

7. Jaybles

Jaybles New Member

I use it online all the time?

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Yeah just kicks in when I login it is ace.

That said the fact they wont refund a testing charge when AMD found the unit to be faulty is disgusting and if that happened to me I wouldn't use them again.

9. CrapBag

Got in touch with the retailer and they are sending me out a new 740k when they come back in stock free of charge. They will even provide a returns label for me to send the other one back and I get to keep my partial refund.

RESULT!!!!!!

10. teppic

teppic New Member

That's good news!

Maybe ask them to replace it with a 750K? It's barely more expensive and the 740 cannot be overclocked.

11. CrapBag

Yeh I thought about it after you mentioned it in the PM but to be honest I doubt I will overclock it, it's in a fairly basic board with no vrm cooling plus because I had the partial refund I expect I would have had to pay the full amount extra.

For what she uses her pc is going to be plenty powerful enough for her. (well I hope it is but I bet I still get moaned at).

How come the 740k doesn't OC but the 750K does, is the 750k unlocked?

12. teppic

teppic New Member

Ok then. The quad core CPU is really quite powerful for the stuff she wants, I just can't bring myself to buy a CPU I can't overclock :)

13. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

You can't beat 'that' company mate. They're frigging awesome.

A couple of years back I bought a belt sander from their returns bit (can't name it..) any way I had it about 9 months before I finally got my old ass around to using it.

It blew up about five minutes in. Blue spark out of the motor..

Any way I contacted them and they arranged collection and gave me a full refund, 9 months in.

14. teppic

teppic New Member

'That' company refunded my Bluray player after it developed a weird out of sync problem on certain discs. The player was 13 months old, I wasn't expecting much at all. They collected it for free and I got an immediate full refund. They've always replaced anything faulty with no questions, no 'testing' fees, no disputes. When Yodel was late with my monitor, they gave me a £10 voucher. When Scan absolutely refused to help with my APU, 'that' company took back my working FM2 motherboard 3 weeks after purchase with a full refund.

15. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Glad to see you are getting it sorted.

16. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

That is the sort of dealings I had with OCUK to the point they banned me from the store twice for returning faulty items.

They even banned me the 2nd time and stated it was returning faulty items, in front of some Gigabyte rep's and around 10 customers, and I would say at least 5 of those customers walked out in disgust with the way I was treated.

Never had a issue with Scan really, but when I did have a issue with something I bought from them it took a week to get it sorted and to be honest, it was partially my fault as well but I got it sorted in the end.

I won't use anywhere else now, but I have started using Specialtech for some of my watercooling stuff as they have more of a range than Scan do.

17. teppic

teppic New Member

I'd imagine that this was a while ago. It's a different company now, different owners, a very different attitude. If you're happy with Scan that's fair enough.

18. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

Yup. Excellent company tbh.

I ordered a MSI board back in January and Yodel couldn't find our house. Three days later they sent another out with DPD and just said "let us know if Yodel ever arrive, refuse the delivery".

I think it's because they don't have tight margins that they don't get all uppity and argue the toss.

Either way I will buy anything I can from there tbh. I over paid on my 8320 by about £5. Which could work out to be a blessing in disguise now that it could be blown up.

19. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

It was a while ago, and I spoke to them recently on the phone and they said I could use them again if I needed anything, but after past experiences I would only use them in a emergency or I really wanted something and couldn't find it anywhere else, to the point I would even pay more for it just to avoid using OCUK.

I know people who have no issues with different companies, and I know people who have issues with companies.

20. teppic

teppic New Member

I'd suggest giving them a go again. Take one example today - someone ordered a graphics card, and the day after it arrived they put it up on offer for £40 less. He contacted them to ask if he could return it and order at the new price, and they just gave him the £40 back immediately with no question. Someone on here missed a deal of the day, and the guy from ocuk who uses these forums sorted it out for him anyway. I know they had a terrible reputation in the past, but they've turned it around.