1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Just unlurking.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ouches, 27 Jul 2002.

1. Ouches

Ouches What's a Dremel?

Hiya bit-tech crew, just thought that I'd unlurk myself. Been making little mini-mods to my case for a while now, but nothing big. I'm too intimidated by all the "gods" on here and some other forums. That and my case really stinks and i dont wanna waste too much cash on it.

Heres a shot of my case it its *cough* glory *cough*
    (sorry about the nightshot)
    http://home.graffiti.net/ouches/insides2.jpg

And heres a newer shot(no nightshot this time), with a new "mod" i just added on this morning.
    http://home.graffiti.net/ouches/insides1.jpg

Also my brother just got that new aluminum case ive seen posted here that retails for 63 US. Im hoping he lets me do some stuff to it.

Not really planning any cost intensive mods, as i said earlier, but ive come up with a couple ideas that i dont think are too original but that i havent seen implemented, like a floppy drive window.
    Well thats all for now, hopefully ill come up with some ideas or come up with some more cash for better ideas.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for commenting.

Edit: Opps, forgot to post my PC specs.
    Duron 700
    Forgot the mobo, but its a cheap Asus
    20 gig maxtor drive
    Gf2 mx =(
    SB Live
    16x toshiba burner

again sorry.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2002
  2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Welcome to the forums, well .... if you have been lurking your not new so. Welcome to the unlurked arena :lol:

Nice ghetto mod there! :D

3. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

that is a freaking awesome ghett0 mod :) nice dude :) is that string or elastic?

4. fishthecat

fishthecat What's a Dremel?

Elastic bands

I've used elastic bands to hold fans in place, but not the othe extreme you've gone to. :) it's a bit of an ugly method, but nice and quite. :)

5. linear

linear Minimodder

Welcome to the boards, Ouches.

No need to be intimidated at all, that's one of the better things about this board.

6. Qbank

Qbank What's a Dremel?

euhhh key personoly i don't like it :)

7. Ouches

Ouches What's a Dremel?

Well they are rubber bands, cut and retied around stuff, so thats elastic. only good thing about it is its accualy perfectly allinged with the side of the case, and Qbank, i know it sucks, but i had this fan lying around and i couldnt let it go to waste.

Oh, and in case you notice the black blob above the gfx card where the extra serial port spaces are, thats the rheostat that came with the fan, its temporarily mounted with elec tape.

Thanks for the comments.

Also the reason for using rubber bands is that if I had mounted the fan to the side of the case itself than i wouldnt be able to put the door back on without modifying it a hell of a lot, which for now is out of the question.

8. kevbarlas

kevbarlas What's a Dremel?

isnt that the ystech fan? i got that on my alpha pal 8045 heat sink :) made a converter for it .
    runs a cool 40oC on a 2000xp

9. Qbank

Qbank What's a Dremel?

i to had a fan laying around bud i thid this with it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Ouches

Ouches What's a Dremel?

And your extra fan now looks that much better than mine.
    The reason i couldnt do anything else with it is because I dont have any materials at hand to do something like yours, and that i dont have much money to go and buy materials to do something like yours. The latter is also the reason I ghetto mod instead of mod. Im still trying to think of better ways to set that fan up, that are within my budget.

And yes, it is a YS Tech.

11. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

with being supported by laccy bands there sould be no noise whatsoever of fan vibration against the case :) the bands should act like shock absorbers :)

12. Qbank

Qbank What's a Dremel?

the plexi cost me dick

i go to a companie where they use it and smal pises is garbidch to them and i can use there equipment

to cut , to bend , to saw , to punch , to tril , and so on and so on

13. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

Tis very true :lol: :D :lol:

after all, they havent even kicked me out yet! :D

14. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

Oh yea, nice implementation of an extra fan Qbank !

15. Ouches

Ouches What's a Dremel?

The elastic does absorb almost all of the fan noise when i use the rheostat it came with and set it at around 3/4 power.

Problem is in my case i can only have the fan alinged straight with the case, cause the distance between the top of the cards and the side of the case is under 2 inches, so Im thinking i might use some some metal to prop the fan up from the bottom or side of the case. It would still look ghetto and probably wouldnt absord as much of the sound, which isnt good becasue my other fans are screamers and the PC is pretty close to my bed =(

16. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Use some rubber grommits to absorb the sound... won't be quite as good as the rubber bands, but should still be very good.

17. iggy

iggy Minimodder

if you cant get grommoets, use silicon sealant to make little donuts and wait till they cure (24hours/ish) and use them :)

nice wee money saving tip no.23

18. Ouches

Ouches What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the ideas guys, but im gonna do something else.

Ive got some steel card covers from an old case that have 2 little ends that stick out on one side, im gonna bend these to work like hooks and hook them to the mini grill holes in the back of the case near the cards. Im gonna hang the fan from the cover with rubber bands that are streched tight to absorb more sound, and im gonna stretch several rubber bands around the cover from end to end to keep the fan from vibrating against the cover, that should absorb sound quite nicely and look like it took longer to do.(Suprisingly, it took quite a while to get the bands tied and spaced right so that the fan is lined with the case.)

19. linear

linear Minimodder

I was just wondering where I could get some clear silicone washers. Never ocurred to me to make them, nice one, iggy2k! :dude: :dude: :dude:

20. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Hmmm... I'd really like to look at the images to see what the whole "laccie band" debate is but when I click on the link in work I get the dumb "This site is blocked on the corporate network because it falls under the following category. Sexually Explicit"

Ok.. either the server leader has a bit too much love for "bare fans" (look at the blades on her...mmmm) or you've used latex and not elastic... :) Or maybe teh SuperScout sux....

Me votes for latter.