1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Want to Talk

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheGreatSatan, 6 Aug 2007.

1. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

Have you ever felt like it's all over? Life as a whole I mean....

I have this lingering feeling that whatever I am supposed to do on this planet has been accomplished and it's only a matter of time before I'm gone. I'm not at all suicidal or anything and I'd love to stay with my children forever, but the feeling still remains.

Not being at all religious and NOT believing in an afterlife, keeps me constanly thinking of what's to come...

I watch a bunch of different shows about Psychics, ghost hunting and the paranormal. It's only normal for the human mind to make the connection between life and TV and make it more personal. The brain is tricky like that. Things like dust and reflections can make the brain create faces leaving many people thinking that they've witnessed a ghost or something. But it's just the brain. I keep wondering if my constant inner struggle is a result of TV or if there really is something to be said of it. Maybe I'm a tad bit psychic too or maybe I'm just crazy...

It affects my modding too. I have two projects waiting downstairs collecting dust with others in my head and I'm just not interested in getting to them.

It actually really pisses me off that if I do die at any point in time that there's no one to tell all my forum buddies. My wife won't, so who will?

Just thinking out loud this time. ;)

2. daguuy

daguuy I hate lolcats

Think your purpose in life has been accomplished? Solution: Get a new goal, try something different.

3. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Put it in your will:

And add some sort of threat if it's not done :p

4. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Yea, i get this feeling as well, but life goes on.

Sam

5. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

[​IMG]
    xkcd.com

6. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

QFT. Super soakers for the zen moment.

Stop taking it all so seriously. If you aren't learning one new thing and bursting out laughing once a day, time to reorganize your life. And when you die, I think that this forum would be the last thing you would want to burden your family with. Nice sentiment though.

7. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

Live your life. Or die trying hard
    *Sings monty phyton: always look on the bright side of life*

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

We really need Nexxo to answer this one methinks..

In answering about the TV stuff, all this psychic and ghost buster **** is fake. It's all falsified for the big screen, don't invest your time in them too heavily.

9. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

He couldn't do any better than Spacecowboy92 :nono:

10. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Mid-life crisis perchance?

I read somewhere that the male mid-life crisis is not actually anything to do with the blokes ages. Its the wife/partner. The guy just picks up on the fact that his missus is no longer able to bear him children and so the subconscious animal within gets all worried. Some people go out and buy fancy new things in order to attract a new and younger model, some get all upset and a bit depressed.

11. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Perhaps you just need some new interests - you can't have experienced all life has to offer yet can you? Perhaps grab a camera and explore your artistic side - it's great fun, and gives you an excuse to experience all manner of new things.

edit: Oh and read more XKCD - they have the answer to everything :)

Last edited: 6 Aug 2007
  12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ QFT. XKCD rules. :rock:

TheGreatSatan: you're just maudling. You probably have hit middle age, have managed to get through the important life challenges OK, and now you're cruising. You're healthy, financially secure, have a partner who loves you, kids are growing up and doing fine. You should be sitting back and enjoying the fruits of your hard work right now, perhaps play with some new challenges, which will be more fun because now you don't have to; now you can choose.

The smell of grass, sunshine, the laughter of your kids, the hug of a loved one. This is what it is all about. And modding, of course. Life is a ride, an adventure. Travel it well and enjoy it while it lasts.

If not, visit your local cancer ward. That ought to snap things in perspective just a little.

Come quick! As soon as
    these blossoms open, they fall.
    Life is like dewdrops.

13. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Haiku is instantly recognizable.
    Very fine method of conveying the point.

Edit:
    Atheism(or agnosticism) is a rather grim and cheerless belief; no meaning in life, no after-life, no reason for ethics or moral behaviour...
    I often wonder how on earth atheists get along every day.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2007
  14. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Just out of interest Satan, do you spend the majority of your out of work time in the home or do you have alot of outdoor hobbies? I only ask this cos, I generally get these types of feelings when I'm stuck in the house. Getting outdoors for a walk, golfing usually percs me up and I'm back to my usual self (whatever that is ;) ). I found that if you can enjoy the simple pleasures in life. Everything else fallsinto place.

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I don't know about anyone else, but I believe in myself. No one else will do my work for me.

16. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

Its not that being an atheist is grim and morose, its more that religion and afterlife are a way of sugar coating uncertainty in the masses. Its much easier to persuade a workforce or a group of believers into pretty much anything, if they believe they'll get a reward for it. Atheists as I've found are usually incredibly independent workers. If a problem needs fixing they'll do it themselves because they're sure of their own abilities. It really does take a lot of self determination to be an atheist and mean it. To face up to the facts that when you die you're fuel for the bonfire makes everything you have now seem that much more important.

A guy living a horrible life who thinks 'if I suffer the right way, I'll get heaven' is much less likely to stand up and work like a demon to get ahead in life. An atheist thinks 'This is all I've got and I'm damned if I'm gonna waste my time waiting for a fairytale'

17. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

I actually don't get out much. I work then come home or go to school. I watch my kids and sit around the house. It's been too damn hot lately to leave

18. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

So you behave because you reckon some God is watching you; I behave because humanity is watching me. At least I get to play in front of a live audience. :rock:

19. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

You don't behave.!

20. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

Also, I don't think a lack of religion means a lack of ethical guidance. I'm a firm believer in the idea that our morality is determined by our experiences from birth. The majority of ethics in the world are 'be good to your fellow man', and in my opinion thats because any other ethical standpoint results in a self destructive society that never lasts.