1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Keep the Samsung 830 or the Crucial M4?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gurdeep14, 3 Mar 2014.

1. Gurdeep14

Gurdeep14 Minimodder

I am planning on buying a Samsung 250GB Evo to go along side either my Samsung 830 256GB or the Crucial M4 265GB, (one of which ill install in my sisters pc)
    The EVO will be for Windows 7 and programs + Battlefield 4. The other drive I keep will be purely for my Steam games. Which one is better out of the 830 or the M4 for my purpose? The lesser of the two goes to my sister :p

Also, as I am still running X58 and therefore SATA 2, will I still benefit from the RAPID mode in the EVO?

Thanks as always :)

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I would keep the Samsung

3. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

i have a sammy 830 256gb that i dont need anymore

will tie in nicely for your other ssd ;)

4. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Sata 2 for real? In this case I think the interface is the bottleneck, I would recommend not getting a new SSD of the same capacity at all. The 2 you already have are plenty good enough and anything else will not be an improvement due to the bottleneck. Why not buy a SATA 3 controller instead?

5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

In general, SATA3 addon boards aren't all that great, and in real world terms, SATA2 is fine :)

I like Crucial hardware, so I'd keep the M4. That said, both are very capable SSDs!

6. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Contrary to what Bungletron's written, there would certainly be *some* improvement using an Evo...

(which i'd pair with the 830 personally)

...as, whilst the sequential speeds are obviously already bandwidth ltd, the thing itself has inherently faster lower QD random r/ws // &, separately, rapid will improve things as it's a memory cache.

Well, you've not said that you're *only* using the SSDs for sequential or very high QD random r/ws so an answer that's only accounts for these isn't exactly complete.

i also wouldn't recommend an add-on card *unless* there's a very specific i/o rationale - for example, my pair of old 830s are now in R0 on my lsi raid card (the 6Gb/s ports on the mobo have 840 Pros on) but they are solely used for highly sequential r/ws.

That said, whilst there will be some improvement, i personally wouldn't upgrade now as we 'should' only be a couple of months away from the new pcie SSDs.

Well, the 3rd gen SFs are 'supposed' to be arriving in Q2 &, since Marvell had a new M.2 SSD out not so long ago, it's likely that there will also be something pcie based from them/Crucial/Plextor/etc before too long.

(not seen any word on Samsung launching one, but i'd be surprised if they didn't)

Naturally there's no knowing on pricing, however waiting would allow you to properly workaround the limitation of the mobo & then some... ...given that the speeds for the new SSDs are something else again.

7. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

I have added a sata3 card with mine and did do a quick comparison benchmark to see what the difference was. Bare in mind that the sata3 card only cost a fiver so I wasn't expecting a great deal.

Link to the thread;

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=266533

8. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Ah, but in doing that you also lost trim...

...& you'll 99.999% have noticeably increased access times.

So, you're trading quicker speeds in the short term for a less responsive setup that, without upping OP &/or upping idle time &/or manually resetting the nand periodically, will tend to slow down.

As an aside re non-trim setups, & obviously accepting that my current usage of the 2x 830s certainly isn't what the OP's proposing, i managed to drive them into the ground, short term, d.t. forgetting to alter the power saving options on the raid card (ie reducing idle time)...

(it had been a while since i last had SSDs on it & it completely slipped my mind - though my previous R0 setup on the card, a few years ago, had been using SFs, which are more resilient, & certainly wasn't as extreme with writes & erases)

...to the extent that, even with bunches of extra OP, s/w was crashing as the SSDs couldn't erase pages on the fly quick enough.

[Edit]

Oh, & whilst i think, the rapid thing won't work if the SSD's connected via a card...

...in fact, from a bit of quick testing i did, it doesn't currently even work if the Evo/Pro is in non-raid but the on mobo intel controller has other drives connected to it in raid arrays - the Magician s/w randomly thinking that the (HDD) arrays are really more Samsung SSDs for some bizarre reason.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2014
  9. Gurdeep14

Gurdeep14 Minimodder

Thanks for all the replies. I am keeping the Samsung (2 against 1) and I bought the Evo.
    I have thought about getting a SATA 3 card but Pocket told me it wouldn't make much of a difference before, plus i'd lose trim etc, seems like more hassle for something I wont even notice so I'll just keep my SATA 2 for now till I upgrade my motherboard.

Thanks for the replies

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I say keep them both. Get the evo. JBOD the lot. Live life on the edge sticking two fingers up at data safety.

11. Gurdeep14

Gurdeep14 Minimodder

lol one is for my sister (my old Crucial M4)
    There is nothing important stored on the SSDs, thats all backed up on a Samsung F1, in each computer and a central back up on a server