1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ken Levine: "I wish PC gaming was more successful"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Dec 2008.

1. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

I agree i don`t know whay a keyboard mouse peripheral hasn`t come out even from a third party???? something dodgy is going on there.
    As for pc`s you need to stop jumping system specs and a £1000 being worth about a third of it`s value in 1 year of purchase.............but remember it`s all based on the love of money for these guys not the love of game!!!!!

2. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

BTW the pc will live forever...........long live the king!!!

3. echos

echos New Member

That a good question, they could do a KB mouse exclusif for X360 and I am shure that the majority would buy it and they could make a ton of money for they overpriced X360 KB/mouse....

4. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

Dear PC...

Give the little guys a chance to use your game engine on the cheap to create whatever they can dream up, love your modders, stop EACH developer improvising their own piracy solution, accept that huge profits are no longer possible and sack every marketing/public realations employee you have they are NOT HELPING your case.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2008
  5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Which is exactly why PC games will always be the preference of serious gamers, and consoles will only ever dominate the living rooms of the computer illiterate. What IS the average life span of a console? 4 years? Christ... I had a Thunderbird based Athlon system with AGP 4 years ago! Imagine if you had to wait THAT long before there were any advances in gaming/CPU/GPU tech?

6. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

Thats not quite true there were plenty of boundaries being pushed over 7 years into the life of the PS2, if the hardware stays the same the developers learn how to make the most of it, if the hardware is continually changing and getting faster all the time you don't have to try very hard to make your game run well you just wait until people can afford the hardware to play your game, this is a crap way forward and why people head towards consoles as the price of entry and the ability to remain in the game is very high with the PC.

I reckon that without the current crop of consoles the number of multithreaded game engines would be vastly reduced.

7. thEcat

thEcat New Member

And without the prior generation of PC development would multi-core technology be viable on the current crop of consoles ?

8. bloodcar

bloodcar Active Member

I'm a console gamer now-a-days and I don't think I'm computer illiterate. That's a very broad assumption to make. :nono:

I grew up with a great mix in both PC and console gaming and for a very long time I ended up being strictly a PC gamer with a small amount of console play done. Here lately though I'm strictly a console gamer. Hell, I don't even have a desktop anymore as it died on me last summer and it was cheaper and easier (was on a strict time constraint) to buy a laptop then to sort out new parts for a new build.

The cost alone of even getting back into PC gaming holds me back. Why should I go drop $2000 on a computer that may last me two years when I can go spend $200 on something that will last me two years. I don't need to upgrade my 360 every six months in order to play the latest and greatest out there. I go to the store, buy my game, pop it in and play. No worries about incompatibility, no worries about getting the latest drivers or going back to an earlier driver build, no worries about adjusting in-game settings for hours on end to get a good playable frame rate. It just works and it's a hell of a lot less of a headache.

With that being said, both industries benefit from each other. PCs help advance console tech but sheer sales volume from console games helps the PC market as well. It's a hell of a lot harder to pirate games on a console then it is on the PC.

Tags: Add Tags