1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Kent gets 100Mb/s FTTH

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Jan 2008.

1. Glider

Glider /dev/null

But it still beats 99% of the packages offered here in Belgium... We get upload speeds varying from 128kbps to 1mbps...

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Sheesh and I thought I was getting ripped off on internet, 10Mbit down 1 up for $70 (or 28 quid) in New Zealand, you know the little country near the bottom of the planet?
    Then again I only get 20GB a month. Wouldn't mind a 100Mbit connection though, as long as theres no caps.

3. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Why's everyone so upset about the 2mb/s upstream? Are you all running data centers and hosting websites with Slashdot-level traffic from your basements? I'm lucky to get a quarter that and have never found a situation where I'm limited by my upstream bandwidth.

And if you can complain about that price, I need to switch countries. At that price/speed ratio, I would get 20 mb/s for what I'm paying now for 8 mb/s. I'm also a big fan of the guaranteed speeds on the lower packages - I think 'up to' speed advertising is completely evil.

4. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Indeed. Not sure if many people here understand how fibre optics work in the communications industry.

5. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

I'm pretty content with my Sky package currently. It's listed as "upto 8meg", fastest i hit on speed test websites is around 7mb down and 600kb down. I've not hit a cap yet and thats even with hammering 4od and BBC iPLayer as well as Internet Radio on most of the time.
    For the price (£24 a month and that includes Sky TV) it's not to bad.

Although faster downloads would always be welcome, they have to be matched by resonable prices and no monthly caps.

6. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

The us doesn't care about it's internet users, witch is why im still on dial up, there lucky and they don't realize how lucky. mabey America will hear about this as a howl and make a change. were still working on gettin 1.5mbs to houses... how are we gonna handle 100?

7. CommanderAce

CommanderAce What's a Dremel?

"Why's everyone so upset about the 2mb/s upstream? Are you all running data centers and hosting websites with Slashdot-level traffic from your basements?"

Slingbox?

8. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Why shouldnt we be able to? If you have 100mbit down, why not like 10 up?

Hell even if i had 10 down i wouldnt care, but the current upload speeds are a bit sucky

9. Goos!e

Goos!e What's a Dremel?

I dont see the problem with the 2mb up... only that it ain't "reasonable?" or whatever ya call it...
    On the other hand... wtf do you need more than 2mb Upstream for? I can think only of 1 thing and that ain't quite leagal in most European countries (if not in all of em by now). I have ADSL2+ 16.000 @ 14.500 ~ 15.500 Down with like 1.100 Up somewhat around 35 euros and that does me just freakin fine... there are 5 comps connected and there are actually like no problems.. only with the provider (but thats a different story) and for people wanting to host Webserver and so on.. get a feckin Business Plan from yer local Provider!
    Thats obviously the main reason they don't hand out Symetric DSL lines just like that...

for sending mails... filesharing (illegal or not)... Gaming the current available lines are just fine....

But..!!! I wouldn't complain if the Fibre crap would be available and prolly would jump on the train...(at a reasonable price that is)

To the poor sods livin in the US of A : <politicalparanoia>bet the RIAA have their fingers in! </politicalparanoia>
    Wouldn't suprise me tho....

Im more concerned about the needed Hardware...dunno bout other countries, here in germany you usually get a crappy router/modem from yer provider and either you're happy with it... or you gotta buy yer own... and with crappy i mean C R A P P Y

So where can you like get a Fibreoptic NIC ? Or is this like with DSL? ya need 10.000 boxed to split the data etc? I have never heard of a fibre Modem.. so i take it will be a NIC but those are like.. geez unpayable? The cheapest i've seen was like 200 Euros

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well that same ~$100/mo will get you a 10/1Mbit connection stateside unless you happen to be somewhere that offers FIOS (nowhere, apparently).

But wtf, 100/2?!? Are they going out of their way to make something so potentially awesome suck, or is this their approach for Bit-torrent throttling (and therefore making something so potentially awesome suck)?

Of course, there are more legit uses for the upstream bandwidth too. I'm constantly remoting into my home machines from the road, and VNC is somewhat less than fun to use at that speed. If I make sure it's the only network activity at the time it's usable, but generally pretty crap.

11. Edvuld

Edvuld Minimodder

I quite recently moved away from my parents house to my own apartment, and now I have "Up to 100Mbit" down and 10Mbit up. I've reaced speeds of 5MB/s down and 1.7MB/s up, so I guess it's about 40/10Mbit. I only pay 20£/month though, so I must say I'm really happy with that deal. I could easily host my own page and FTP. All ports are open, and there's no caps or limits afaik :thumb:

12. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i work from home quite a bit VPN'd into the office, theres about 1.5mbit up on either end
    its not enough, its ok for accesssing intranet and editing code on the office servers but working with word documents and the like? sucks :\
    subversion is bloody slow over that link too :p

13. Goos!e

Goos!e What's a Dremel?

the point there being: not Private

I see it more like: If ya need it for work.. its business if not.. its for private use.. and c'mon.. lets be real.. No one needs more than there is atm (for real private use!).

but yeah ffs... i would love a OC192.. or whatever is better just for the sake of it...

i totally agree that the 2mbit upstram is hilarious @ 100 down.

I'd just like to see where all this is going with 100mb down available and so on.. coz i think its quite idiotic to just have certain areas covered with "High-Speed" connections while others still are on blimmin dial-up.

Here (germany) they don't even have like 70% DSL coverage. sure the great citys like Berlin,Munich,Cologne and some smaller ones like Dortmund etc. but even there... if you are livin in a "suburb?" the problems begin.. either not available... or its a joke what ya get... like 384/64kbs.

14. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

2mbit is possibly not even enough for overheads with 100mbit down though
    right now im copying some stuff over to my fileserver on 100mbit ethernet im looking at 11MB/s up and ~220k/s down
    thats pushing it for 2mbit :\

15. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Very true there, as your download increases, your upload demands also increase
    Anyway, why shouldn't home users be able to run a webserver, teamspeak server, or game server?

Hell, maybe you would like to be able to keep your documents at home and access them on the move
    Or even VNC into your home computer

Although quite a few home users might not need high uploads, some do, and by the time your talking about a 100mbit Internet connection, we are starting to talk about people who really use their Internet

Tags: Add Tags