1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics keypad switch

Discussion in 'Modding' started by hvtopiwala, 31 Dec 2006.

1. hvtopiwala

hvtopiwala What's a Dremel?

i want to turn on my computer using a 12key keypad. basicly, i would enter teh correct code and that would let me use the power button on my case. if i do nto enter the correct code, the power button on the computer doesnt do anything.

2. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

One option is to take the keypad off of one of those cheap electronic safe's. The ones that let you program in your own code and when entered it releases a solenoid. You could rewire that to allow the power button to be pressed.

Another option which will be more complicated but provide better results will be to use a PIC controller hooked in with a keypad. That way you can program it from start to finish.

Other than that I am not aware of any other options for doing this. Maybe someone else can open up that door.

3. trailblazer

trailblazer What's a Dremel?

You can buy a kit from here , it costs about ten pounds and has a relay output. It's a kit so you might need to do a fair bit of soldering and it needs a 12 volt supply.

4. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

I think that it would be possbile with that kit but certianly alot of soldering to do on that! good price and good site! looking foward to seeing a result on this?!

5. hvtopiwala

hvtopiwala What's a Dremel?

6. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Should work without any problems. You would connect the power button to the relay. You will also have to do what it says about adding a transistor...

This way, when you enter the correct code, you will turn the computer on. Without it, the 'power button' would be pressed until you entered the correct code.