1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Keypad to enter code and start PC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by WizardLock, 16 Nov 2003.

1. WizardLock

WizardLock What's a Dremel?

Just thought of another idea for my case.

Is there anywhere where you can get a keypad and install in into your case, and your computer can only turn on if you enter the right code?

I was thinking about getting the remote "starter" for your computer. No need for a power switch, just uses a remote similiar to a car starter, but I liket he keypad idea better.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you.

2. KRASH

KRASH What's a Dremel?

I thought about doing that :D But I have not had the time of the cash. Let us know how it works out! Just dont put the chirping siren thing in there with the remote start!

3. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I've been wanting to do something like this also. I would use a keylock, but I'm afraid I'll lose it too easily.

http://www.familysafemedia.com/
    The TV Allowance thing at top is supposed to be able to control your computer, though it doesn't go into much detail.

4. WizardLock

Thanks for the link!

That connects between the tv and the power source. So that solves the turning on part, but what about the power off? Enter the wrong code? lol

5. TekMonkey

The problem is, wouldn't that mean someone could just unplug it?

What I wanted was something that would unlock the computer with a keypad, not just turn it on. That way no one could turn the computer on without the correct code.

6. WizardLock

I am not too worried about people unplugging the computer.

I would like to do something like, enter "1234" and the computer turns on. Enter the code again or something, and it turns off.
    Then enter "4321" to restart.

Restarting is not a problem so much, but would like to turn the power on with the keypad.

7. TekMonkey

Sorry, I was thinking about it from what I want. That would be a problem with my idea, because I want to use it for security. Someone could just unplug the keypad and plug the computer into the wall and turn it on.

8. WizardLock

I want the keypad inside the computer itself. Cut out a window and place the keypad in there.

9. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

This is something im planning on trying, here was a thread not long ago about the same thing. Im planning on using a PIC to read he keys pressed and have some 7-segment displays to display the code as you type. You can then use a relay to replace the power switch.

10. WizardLock

That sounds like a lot of work. I was hoping kinda, for a "plugin and work" deal. :lol:

11. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Yeah, i can think of a couple of ways of doing it, but itll involve some logic chips etc to make sure the correct keys are entered in the right order. Using a PIC just makes it a bit easier, and smaller :D

12. WizardLock

Well, if you get it working, let me know. I may buy one off of you!

Or you can start making them for $$$ as well :D

13. Ghlargh

Ghlargh What's a Dremel?

There are alarm system bypass pads that work exactly like this, you enter a code and an internal relay pulls for a preset time between 1 second and several minutes depending on model, these are usually fairly expensive, but so are PICs and keypads.

14. LiL_MJ

LiL_MJ What's a Dremel?

y go in2 all the bother?

u can jus disconnect your power button and set ur keyboard to turn on the computer!
    on my old system i had entered my password while the computer was off and hit enter and it will turn itself on.

15. WizardLock

How do you set your keyboard to do that?

16. curme

curme Minimodder

17. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 17 Nov 2003
  18. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

New mobos tend to have a wake on keyboard features these days. But pressing any key would turn the system on.

As a security feature (and for looking cool) a keypad would be better. I thought about this a long time ago, but cheated and installed a key-switch as a power button (this was 2-3 years ago when i lived at my parents and got tired of them and especially my little sister using my computer instead of their shared family pc :p)

Maplin in the uk sell keypads like this, and it wouldn't be difficult to program a PIC to handle everything (especially since you can program them in c not just assembly!). You could even have different codes to handle lighting, fan speeds etc (if you are any good with electronics...)

19. WizardLock

Thank you curme. That seems to be just what I wanted! I will look into that more today

20. Ronin

Ronin What's a Dremel?

Sweet

Whenever you find out where to get it and how to do it please discuss!!!
    :hip: