1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Khronos Group launches OpenXR VR/AR standard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Mar 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Wwhat

Wwhat Member

It's a bit late in the game, and I have my suspicions on how supportive some (*cough*sony/nvidia*cough*) will be in embracing this for real, but it's good that it arrived. And I hope that even if some give up on VR/AR the basic underlying system will survive thanks to this. And VR/AR was at risk with all the fragmentation IMHO

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It is good to see an actually open specification (not single-vendor controlled) collaborated on. Hopefully this will be a clean-sheet design rather than based on an existing system, to avoid getting stuck in the 'what we can bodge today' mindset (e.g. using rectangular framebuffers with wasted area, rectilinear or bodged rectilinear segment rendering, whole-frame transport, etc).

4. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Member

Generic standard for competing technologies (that aren't Sony/Nvidia), probably going to be used more for mobile apps to bring VR to the masses with cheaper 'white-box' headsets.