1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Kids increasingly prefer MP3 to superior formats

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Mar 2009.

1. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Member

A good example of how quality can change how you view the environment is when I got higher quality rips of all my Billy Joel albums. I was amazed in a few songs when it seamed as though I was actually in the consort hall! I immediately asked myself, why does it sound like this? Is my mind just making things up!? When I listed carefully I could clearly hear a slight echo that was unaudiable in the low quality file. This echo gave depth to the environment and made me feel as though I was right there!

2. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark New Member

MP3 was fine in my stock car speakers. Then I got 4 new Pioneers for about $500. MP3 , even 320k, sounds like crap compared to the original cd. I'm working on a car pc so I can get lossless in my car. I couldn't tell the difference between MP3 and lossless with my fiance's white ipod speakers either. I tossed them out and got both of us a pair of good Sennheisers (sp?). Now she complains that her ipod sounds like crap. Good speakers need quality, lossless source. Crappy speakers sound the same no matter what.

Then again, I listen to lots of death metal. Lossy compression absolutely kills good double-bass.

In my opinion, lossy compression is perfectly suited to manufactured, shallow pop and hip hop. If you listen to anything with depth though, whether it be metal, classical, jazz, classic rock, you need lossless.

3. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

That's the reason I stopped using MP3's, I always found you lost depth in the lower sound ranges.

4. Helldiver18

Helldiver18 New Member

I love great quality of sounds but when it comes to rip a CD a go for MP3 just for a question of space.

Tags: Add Tags