1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kill this, PLEASE - n00b thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Guest-44638, 15 May 2019.

1. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Jun 2020
  2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Individual sleeving [with or without combs] can make certain cables easier to route [24-pin ATX being the notable one] as indidual wires an be smushed into/though spaces a big chonky cable may not fit. The combs are there to make those indivdual wires behave more like a single cable. That said some people do it purely for show and/or because they can.

If you're fine with the cables as they are, then leave them as they are... Whether they're worth the effort/expence is going to be entirely up to you.

3. RedFlames

Can't void the warrnty by dicking with the cables if it's out of warranty... ;)

And a lot of the usual suspects make/sell cable combs - Corsair, Bitfenix etc... Though bear in mind they'll be made with their own braided cable kits in mind, diameters may vary.

4. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Active Member

If you want cable to lay flat but don't want to mess with individual sleeves and or combs, have you considered ribbon cable, for example.

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Yeah, It's to p*** you off. However shorter ones are available. That was the first hit on eBay, different colours, sizes and types are available. Those I've linked to look like the lightweight version.

Guest-44638 likes this.
  6. RedFlames

Guest-44638 likes this.
  7. SHNS0

SHNS0 Enter Plasma

If you want to do any kind of custom cable works I seriously recommend MDPC-X, or their resellers depending on where you are. There's Mod-One in the US for example.
    They have quality cable combs and other sleeving / cable-making materials.

If you want really fancy ones, you can look for the Alphacool Eiskamm Alu combs that come in anodized aluminium. I'm using those in red in one of my latest projects: Blood Inside

Keep in mind though that all of these combs are made for individually sleeved cables, and the hole size is usually tailored to custom sleeved cables which are quite thicker than your Corsair/Bitfenix/Cablemod sleeved cable. They might have a loose fit in those.
    If you end up with a off-the-shelf solution for your cables, I'd rather recommend Shakmods combs. I think he also distributes on Amazon.

Sata's can often be found on eBay / Aliexpress of decent quality and in a variety of sizes, even very short ones like 10-15cm.

Doing custom cables is great, but takes a lot of time and practice to get it right.
    It's probably one of the harshest areas of modding with a steep learning curve. But the results are glorious, and extremely satisfactory.
    If you want high quality materials, it's also pretty expensive - and not everything is easy to find.

Big Elf likes this.
  8. SHNS0

SHNS0 Enter Plasma

You can contact them to ask for info about your OCZ power supply. I'm pretty sure they can figure out something.

It's not a bad sign - it's more of the fact that as a super small business it's difficult to give explicit support to hundreds and hundreds of power supply models with each having their own schematics. I work in the field so I know :p
    But at the same time, if there's a customer asking something specific that is "outside the menù", we'll usually find a solution. No harm in asking them.