1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Killing is fun

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 Apr 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

it's too sensitive a subject, people have family members over there right now..

3. speak_easy

speak_easy What's a Dremel?

I had a relative killed on Peleliu. it certainly felt wrong playing a game based on the place where he lost his life.

4. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Don't get me wrong, it is a very sensitive subject, but come on. It is a game.

Hell, my cousin's husband is out in Afghanistan right now, and while it does offer some unsettling thoughts that he might not make it back, what difference does someone making a game about it make? He is there because he is doing a job he enjoys and he is doing it out of his own free will. No one is forcing him to go. He knows full well he might not make it to tomorrow morning. Is a game like this REALLY going to upset him? or bother him?

I see this sort of thing all the time. The reality is that the only people who ever get bothered by things like this are the people that have no business with it anyway. It is always the people that are so worried about upsetting others. The PC crowd, if you will. The even larger reality is that no one currently fighting out in Iraq or Afghanistan is going to give a flying ****!

Another thing, is people feel sorry for members of the armed forces all the time, and family members often blame the government when their sons, husbands and brothers don't come home. Is it right for a game to show people dying?

As much as you may disagree with being forced into a war as a country, no one is forced into it as an individual. Obviously, loss is a horrible event, I even lost my dad at 7 years old. But the fact of the matter is that no one should ever feel sad for someone dying doing something they chose to do and likely enjoyed. Everyone knows the risks, and everyone takes the chance.

5. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

Killing is not fun. The fun part is what people are killing for. And the game's addicting effect will be neutralized when gamer doesn't know if he is doing right or wrong. The sweet motivation of COD series is the homeland 's call, which is right from the beginning.
    If "Six Days in Fallujah" doesn't have a level in which you have only ten minutes to save the world, or something like that, I doubt if it can survive in top ... 200

Last edited: 24 Apr 2009
  6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

What I think people are up in arms about is that the developers went to get the view points of the insurgents as well.

Surely, if anything, the game could be classed as "Patriotic" as you see what the soldiers are doing on the front lines?

7. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

The only thing tabloids such as the daily mail believe in is selling as many rags as possible.

8. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

True, True... One other thing is that we in the 21st Century in general live in "softer" times... We complain/cry/weep/pout, etc... about 4724 soldiers dying since the war started http://www.antiwar.com/casualties/. Now, I'm not saying that having soldiers/people getting killed is a good thing, but you all need to look at the overall context of the numbers in relation to "other" wars... The History Channel is coming out with a new series that claims that an estimated 70,000 soldiers died in a six hour period in some of the battles in the "good old days" of warfare where it was face to face, your hand on a blade in someones guts... Hell, look up the numbers for Vietnam or WWII. Those wars had large death tolls as well.

I'm not trying to marginalize our soldiers and the deaths in Iraq, I'm a veteran myself and have a lot of respect and emotions invested in them. What I'm trying to say is that it seems like a majority of people nowadays are insulated in their little bubble worlds and say "oh, my that's horrible" but then go about their merry way because it's so far disconnected from them and their consumerist lemming lives...

9. thehippoz

well with me.. I had a cousin who was over there in the marines for quite some time.. he's back home now.. we were all worried about him especially where he was located- the guys in afganistan had it alot harder from what I've heard talking with a former classmate whos brother is a medic.. guess he lost a couple in his platoon

all I can say to someone without family over there is.. that's great for you! you can't relate what the family goes through.. and I doubt anyone with family over there will be picking up this game.. just the way it is.. let the war run it's course

now I wouldn't mind a bush game where bush flys off the carrier after mission accomplished and you try to shoot his plane down.. that would be comical :D

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

But not to the Bush family!

11. thehippoz

XD

12. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

tl;dr

But really, great point(s) Alex, but you should have made this a 'proper' article, not a blog post!

13. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Thanks! :)

Tags: Add Tags