1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Kit Car Research

Discussion in 'General' started by Comfyasabadger, 28 May 2012.

1. Comfyasabadger

Comfyasabadger What's a Dremel?

So, the missus mentions to me on the weekend that she would quite like a convertible for beautiful summer days like the ones we've been having recently here in Kent.

And I said, "Well maybe we (I) could build a kitcar" to which she replied yeah awesome.

Now to test the water on whether she's being serious or not I'm actually going to do some research into cost etc.

I know absolutely nothing about cars but I have a knack of picking things up and they becoming an obsession.

I reckon this is going to be a 4/5 year project but was hoping someone had an insite into this and suggest a good place to start??

Muchos Thanksos.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Read this (or rather, GOO's blog) for an idea on how developed a kit car can be.

Personally, if you've got no car skills yet, I'd advise buying an MX-5 (this looks a good, depreciation-proof buy) which suits a modest budget, run that for a while (and perform the maintenance yourself) while thinking if you can tackle kit car.

:thumb:

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

While you'd have to contact them for prices and whatnot this should answer some of your questions.

That said some kit cars are easier to build than others...

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Caterham Kit-cars are closer to Airfix snap together models from what I've heard, whereas things like the Gooster require more work and hackery to be done to make everything play ball.

(Evidenced by the fact that even Top Gear managed to build a Caterham in under a day. So five weeks solid time on it to do it properly.)

5. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Dax are one of the cheaper, yet more reliable, 7-style kit car makers.

They're based in Harlow so not too far from you at all.

http://www.daxcars.co.uk/start.htm

I personally really like the 427.

They've got a blog-style build log of each for you to read for support and advice.

I'm not sure if they offer a 'build-it-for-you' service though.

6. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

My dad has a Westfield which is another Lotus 7 derivative and incredibly similar to the caterhams.

The thing is unbelievably simple but it's not exactly practical (incredibly hot exhaust right next to the passenger side, flappy fabric covers, pretty slow above 60mph). It does have a CD player though. :D

7. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

And this is the problem. If you want to take advantage of the nice weather now, don't start a kit car. I planned on having Vikki done in 18 months. Hah! :lol:

I'd be taking a look on www.madaboutkitcars.com - there's lots of info and advice on there, and has dedicated build forums for different models of car.

Also check out the kit car magazines like Total Kitcar and Complete Kit Car - they will have oodles of adverts for the different manufacturers, most of which are now in the 21st century and have web sites you can browse, and the mags have loads of info that will be invaluable to someone starting off.

Lastly - the budget. Think of a number. Believe in it for about 12 months, then rip it up, burn the bits and then bury the ashes in the garden, hide the invoices from the wife and stop counting.

It's the only way to be calm about it - don't build a kit thinking it's a cheaper option, do it because you want to build a car. Because it ain't cheap, if you want a decent finish. For example, Vikki's paint job (bear in mind she's not a big car) was £1800 quid. That's on top of the cost of the donor car, refurbishment of the parts, the chassis, the body work and all the other things that make a car a car.

Not trying to put you off, but keep all that in mind when you write out that deposit cheque. ;)

8. Comfyasabadger

Thanks Krikkit, that's something I didn't think of. Maybe not an MX-5 though, boy is it ugly :D

That 427 is beautiful.

Thanks Goo. Krikkit mentioned your Blog which I've been reading, certainly is an interesting read. I think I'll justify it to the wife by confusing her with maths and say we can spread the cost over several years :naughty:

9. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

I have driven a Dax Rush and ever since it has been on my list of things to do before I die.

10. Krikkit

I can't wait until I've got room for a kit car, all this talk makes me want one more. Hawk HF here I come!

11. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I've made plans to build a Dax 427 with a 6.2L LS3 Lump.

Can't wait to get it finished.

They supply a rolling chassis option which allows you to build the car without having to worry about donor parts too.

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Are Hawk the only Stratos replica? I think my uncle know the guy who owns them (he's built a couple of kit cars himself come to think of it).

13. Comfyasabadger

So it turns out I was right to be sceptical.
    I put the estimated cost to the missus and quite rightly she said maybe we should hold of for a couple of years until we have our own home..... Damn her for being right, please don't tell her I said that.

But on the upside she did mention that it is something that she would very much like to do, being a scientist, she likes to know how things work and cars, engines, gears etc fit the bill nicely.

So thanks guys for all the links, I will definitely be using them in the future although am saddened there is no further news.

I have to say though I think I have decided on the car of choice. The 427 is just too beautiful to say no.

AK 427
    DAX 427

Last edited: 29 May 2012
  14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

If you've set your heart on a Cobra, you may want to also consider the Pilgrim Sumo.

15. Krikkit

There's the Hawk and Lister Bell kits - both look good and are apparently able to interchange panels with a real one. The Lister is quite a bit pricier, but it looks like a seriously good kit. I just need to hear the word billet and I'm desiring it.

The AK looks like a good kit - the Dax is pretty pricey but top quality as I know it.

Last edited: 30 May 2012
  16. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Dax are good, and are quality, but there are a few 427 kits available. Gardner and Douglas are the ones that as i believe are a bit above Dax, which are on a par with Crendon. But its been a couple of years since i looked into costs and variations, my old man was set on getting one and we spent ages looking at variations, he ended up buying a house to let to students.

I was lucky enough to be in the passenger seat of a 7litre GD 427 a couple of months ago, it was scary on a public road. Know what your getting into before you nail the throttle!

17. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

Makes me want a space in the garage for the SuperLite Razor. I already have the motor (4g63T out of my old Talon).

Definitely looking forward to having it sit next to the Evo.

18. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

I've lusted after these kit cars for years. Hopefully one day I've have the money to build one. They're just too sexy IMHO.

19. getDownShep

getDownShep What's a Dremel?

Before you decide, and if they still do it, go and visit the company/factory for a look around to see if it looks like they will last until the end of the build. Have you checked out the kit car manual from Haynes yet?

20. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

Good call on the Haynes and other manuals. Now added to the shopping cart.