1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kna's Weight loss Blog - (Upd: 11/05/03)

Discussion in 'General' started by :: kna ::, 4 Apr 2003.

1. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Kna's Weight loss Blog - (Upd: 1 Week Weigh In)

As much as I hate blogs, starting 7th of April I will be beginning a strict High Protein, Low-Carbohydrate diet (Commonly referred to as the Atkins diet, however this is another with the same principle). Coincidental to the UK'nians as it may sound, I decided this *before* Diet Trials came on the BBC, but I held off until the end of the series to get more info.

I'm keeping this thread going for a few reasons:

1) Because it's good to keep a log somewhere of what I'm up to
    2) It's a good 'release', which I'll need
    3) People interested in the diet may want to hear real experiences
    4) You know you love it :D

There's a couple of rules I want to impose on the thread, and I will indiscriminately delete any which are outside them.

1) No wildly OT chatter. I'm more than happy to have posts and discussions on what I'm doing, talk about the diet in general etc, but I'd like to keep the thread as a progress report.

2) No slagging off the diet. I've done more than enough research to know the specific pros and cons of this plan. If you don't like it, don't do it, however I've chosen this on the basis of a lot of information which *I* am happy with.

3) No demoralising posts. It's hard enough sticking to the diet as it stands, but I can do without any personal insults as well.

If anyone fancies joining in, they're more than welcome to post alongside mine; however bear in mind that you should consult your doctor before starting any diet and also I'm not going to handhold you through doing it it, you will need to do your own research.

On Sunday I'll have my final 'weigh in' and I'm expecting to be around 15 and a half stones (217lbs, 97.7kg according to an online converter). Not sure what my measurements are but I'm guessing I'm a 38" waist... My target weight is 13 stones (182lbs, 82kg). And yes, you will be blessed with pictures of my spare tyre.

To celebrate this marvellous achievement, the day I hit my target weight I shall come onto the forums and pick two members ONLINE at the time, at random (I'll think of some clever process of doing it), handing out a Logitech Cordless Mouseman Optical and a Matrix Orbtial LK-204-25PC (DIY Inversed) display. Not the newest presents, but nice from an ex-lardass for free. :)

So two more days of Coke, Chips and McDonalds left to go. :grr:

2. K

K 528491

A good friend of mine is on the diet at the moment too... He's struggling but he's managing.

Good luck Kna, hope it all goes well :thumb:

3. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

do you have any links to info sites? as i could lose a few stone myself (currently 16 1/2 stone, size 38 waist :()

i want to get to around 12-13 stone, or a 34 waist if i can :D

and i wouldnt mind the logitech mouseman :D

if i decide to do the diet, ill happily go along side u kna ;)

nothing like a lil friendly competition now is there?

4. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

my and my fiancee both need to look into this ...

were both 6' even, and im up to about 290 lbs. ( the most ive ever weighed)
    im not sure what she's up to , cause it isnt polite to ask :)

im sure that not working, and being in school that requires me to sit on me arse in front of a puter is to blame, and the fact that weve been eating fast food WAY too much lately is to blame ... 2 summers ago i was in florida helping a friend and his family remodel a house and working full time to boot, and i was down to about 210 ... im sure it was the sweating every day doing it.

another thing: not only was i more active before, i stopped smoking the green and drinking when i started school last september. i had just turned 30 and decided that it was time to grow up. the metabolism has slowed down quite a bit lately, and i need to get some structure to life to turn that around .

good luck

5. :: kna ::

Hehe.. not competition, support :) I'm following this book:

The New High Protein Diet by Charles Clark

The principle is pretty simple and explained in the first 1/3 or so, then a lot more of the book is recepies. Finally information from the web on carbohydrate content in various foods and recepies to suppliement info..

I've also taken a Cholesterol test as well just to be on the safe side (even though it's been proven that short term on this diet does not affect your Cholesterol).

6. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Good luck man, Since joinging the Gym, and not eating as much as before I've lost over half a stone since febuary, although the visual dent on the "tyre" hasn't quite caught up :D

are you going to be doing any Gym like stuff or only dieting?

7. :: kna ::

Theoretically you don't need to do any excercise (and take that with as much salt as it needs) as it's designed to work on the fat directly.. however I'll do more home exercise and weights just to help it along.

8. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Any linkies to some of the best info sites you found... don't hold one of our handies... :) hold all our handies!!! :D

9. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

i think the main theory behind this diet (dont quote me on this) is that by starving the body of carbohydrates you are in effect making it eat up all the fat in your body for energy.

the basics neway

id personally just eat salad and drink redbull :D

10. :: kna ::

11. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I need to loose some... I might try this diet, but my respect of diets has been rather tainted being they never seem to do sod all for me :sigh:

Hold our handles!

but anyhow good on ya kna hope you manage to stick to it cause sticking to diets is the hardest part... especially when you walk home past a chippy or a pub :wallbash:

tatty hoo

12. :: vic ::

:: vic :: Married to the Mod

Men seem to get on quite well with this diet as they don't feel too deprived and there's no calorie counting.

On the downside potatoes, pasta and bread are all out but on the plus side bacon, eggs, cheese and meat are all in.

I shall be helping Kna by offering support and thinking of tasty meals for him. I shall also be testing his willpower by chomping on chips and macaroni cheese because I'm not on this diet :D

Support from me is there for anyone who wants it...come on boys, work those love handles!

13. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Good luck mate!

Just do it straight from the database, simple SQL query, ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 2.

14. Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto xBurningMikex

Interesting approach, KNA.

I, myself, lost quite a lot of weight in the past. Roughly 3 years ago (may 2000) I began a diet, no real plan, just cut out the fat and exercised. At the time I was 12. I weighed roughly 200 pounds, at about 5'5. I mainly ate the exact opposite of what you are planning. Consisting of baked potatos, bagels, fat free cheese, lots of vegetables and fruit. I ended up losing a roughly 60 pounds within 4 months. I remember the look on the kid's faces when I begand 8th grade. I'll remember that day as the best of my life. One thing to remember, is that, for the the most part, you can NEVER eat like you have in the past. It was hard for the first month, finding out how bad things really are for you, and having to refuse it. After that, you're golden, it's just routine.

Since, within the past year, I've slacked entirely, eating pizza, french fries, fast food, and all the related bad-for-you foods. I've come back to about 180 pounds (I'm currently 6'1" tall). I am quite out of proportion, but I always think that. It is important to stay loyal, but treat yourself after a while, believe me, it helps.

I have also decided to lose the extra weight I'm holding onto right now. Since summer is comming, and my biking fun is available to me, I have decided to have fun and lose the weight (targeting about 145) and the extra skin. The belly is the hardest part, really. I'm going to have a new local exercise facility open to me by the end of the month, or at least before summer is really here. I plan on doing some workouts with a friend of mine. Try to lose this belly, mostly, but get more healthy and get a satisfying body weight and muscle percentage. I need to feel good about myself, maybe this will help.

I hope we can both stay loyal here. Good luck.

15. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I went on the Keller's diet (very similar to what you're doing), and went from 120-130 lbs to around 80 in about 6 mo (I was around 12-13 at the time). Wow, what am improvement!

Good luck, the first 3 months are the hardest, and if you survive that, you are prety much good to go!

And those are great prizes, especialy if you have not so much to spend on modding (like most of the people on these boards, including me!).

Take care, and stay away from those carbs :lol:

16. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

as im 6 foot 2 & only 10 stone a diet would be lethal for me

in fact i HAVE to put weight on but yet no matter how many bags of chips i have a week (im up to 12) or takeaways ( 2 1/2lb bugers & chips & a chinese as week) i am actually loosign weight

good luck ont he diet tho m8

17. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

Go for it, and good luck. I could probably stand to loose some weight myself, but until it is a greater amount than 10 pounds or an inch or two I wont really worry about it, Im comfortable and fit enough for what I need to do.

I look forward to your weigh in day.

18. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

as a sk8r type person, i would like to get to a size where i could go into any sk8r/goth/alternative shop and actually buy clothes that fit me!

that way i could wear what i like and not wear what fits me :|

19. Cool Hand

Cool Hand King of the park

first off, good luck with the weight loss.....i myself started going to a health club several years ago in a general quest to "get in shape" with plans to get away from the evil that is computers (im still trying to get away from the whole computer thing - want to ge a police officer)...back then i was a very out of shape 260 pounds, today im about 235 (im a very solid 6 footer - still with a bit of a gut lol)...ive put on alot muscle, so myself and some bodybuilder friends figure ive lost about 40 pounds of fat.....i figure if i wanted i could be a nice 220 pounds if i had the dedication and money to eat right...but that will come in time.

i also work at the gym on the weekends and am good friends with the owner who is a competitive bodybuilder himself, and beleave me, ive herd or seen jsut about all the diets out there....ill admit that ive herd good and bad things about the type of diet your about to start, but you hear good and bad things about any style of eating, and im not going to boore you with stuff you have allready researched.

im also friend with the guys who own heavyweights.net (i even mod their geek section lol) and if you want to join a good fitness/bodybuilding forums, you wont find a better place to get some answers or inspiration.

once again, good luck with the new lifestyle, and if you have any q's, drop into the heavyweights forums, you'l be sure to find some help there.

20. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

sounds like you have a hyperthyroid problem ... ive had a couple friends that are really talll and scrwny, and cant gain weight for anything ... one ended up with a thyroid condition, and the other had a thing for snortable and smokeable stimulants ...