1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Knightrider/HDD meter

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 22 Jun 2002.

1. linear

linear Minimodder

Have a look at this thread: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21229

I noticed the part #s were out of whack. I know they were good originally, I came up with them in the first place. I bet the new Hosfelt catalog is a little different. Also, make sure to take note: the hosfelt.com site doesn't contain anywhere near their full inventory. Always call them.

Also, Hosfelt part number LM3914N for the bargraph driver, $1.75.

Also, it's okay to sub a capacitor with a higher voltage rating.

2. best49erfan

best49erfan What's a Dremel?

You are great. thanks.. I will order all this monday. I think I will get enough to make 2 of them.

3. best49erfan

Also, is 9 v enough to test operation of the circuit?

4. best49erfan

2 problems.

Hosfelt discontinued the pin headers (21-198)
    They are out of Stock on the LM3914N

Someone help
    I want to order these today.
    Remember I live in the US.

5. linear

linear Minimodder

LM3914
    header

Allelectronics also gets my seal of approval.

6. best49erfan

Well that should solve all my problems.. Thanks again:D

7. best49erfan

ok, I got my parts from Hosfelt. Still waiting on All Electronics and Radioshack. RS parts should be here on the 6th. not sure about the others. I will never order again from Hosfelt. Very rude. They would not tell me how much my shipping was. I had to look at my bank statement. They told me they could email it to me and then asked me what my addy was and never did it. One more thing, looks like I need to redo the PCB layout to accomodate the difference in the sizes of the pots.

8. mano

mano What's a Dremel?

just registerd to say thank u macroman
    i maked 20 LED version on breadboard and its works good so far

couldnt find orignal op amp and used 5532 for replacment

i have to look for someone to make PCB for me

now i m thinking to put this circuit in my xbox :D

9. best49erfan

Mine would not work. Not sure why.

10. filo

filo What's a Dremel?

cheap multiturn pots

I discovered quite cheap multiturn pots. The price is £0.83 Manufacturer is spectrol and www.rs-components.com sells them. I just thought someone may be interested, cause the other ones are all quite expensive.
    To find 'em just browse the page:
    All Products -> Electronic -> Resistors/Potentiometers/Control Knobs -> Cermet Trimmers -> Multi Turn Cermet Trimmers -> Multi Turn Cermet Trimmers, 19mm 3/4in 500mW, Rectangular
    Hope it helps someone:lol:

11. best49erfan

mine still does not work. not sure why

12. Johnny_Do

Johnny_Do What's a Dremel?

mine worked flawless !!! I'm so happy. I'm currently useing all blue led's except the last led which is white for that *flash of light warning when there is lots of activity* :cooldude:

** NOTE **

one thing i found out about this project is it's easy to make the mistake i did and have it not work on a bread board.

it's the pin numbering .. when looking at a schematic you know what pin number is what .. but when looking on a IC chip it's a bit different

the led driver for eg is layed out in teh following

18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10
    -------------------------------------------
    @ |
    -------------------------------------------
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

not what i did the first time i hooked it up and read the number from left to right normally. ALL IC CHIPS ARE LIKE THIS

maybe te creator of this project can point this out in the original instructions for us newbies. might help get this working for some as it took me 3 days to figure out why mine was not working .. once i figured it out it was flawless in everyway you can imagine. for those of you that don't have this working yet you have no idea how cool this really is. It's very worth the time and money to build and use.
    :rock:

13. mad4it

mad4it Know it all.

Ok people im guessing some of u have a little tech knowledge. SO How the hell do i change any of the plans for the knight rider so it will light in sequence like this " 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4 etc etc". and have it activet when hd is active? any help will be appreciated full plans thanked with me getting on all fours and kissing your feet. Oh and please no inverse version. THANX

14. linear

linear Minimodder

Good guess.

If that's what you want, you do not want to modify this design, because it uses analog ICs. If you google for 'LED chaser' and pick one of the circuits built around a 4017 chip, you have most of what you want. To gate it with your hard drive signal isn't much more effort, you just use an AND gate with the clock and the inverted HDD signal as inputs, and send the output of that to the clock input of the counter chip. You have to invert the HDD activity signal because it's active-low.

15. mad4it

mad4it Know it all.

:rolleyes: yes yes makes sense.

:)eeek: what he just say ????????)

16. linear

linear Minimodder

Changing this circuit to do what you want isn't straightforward.

So I was telling you to find one that uses a counter, the 4017. There are a zillion them to pick from.

But you want it to trigger from your HD activity, so I described how to implement that.

17. mad4it

mad4it Know it all.

Ok geeza i get what u meant but it was all that techninical stuff but thanx for the hyperlink to google n e way :hip:

18. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Japala has a simple 555/4017 version here :rock:

19. SkiDog

SkiDog What's a Dremel?

Actually this circuit is easy to modify for a sweep display...1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,1,2, etc. all you need do is put a diode in parallel with VR1... a 1n4148 will work.
    This will cause a sawtooth (Sweep) wave form, and will cause the display to sweep left to right, or right to left depending on the orientation of the diode.
    If you want to switch between directions, and the night rider effect, just add a SPDT ON OFF ON switch in series with two opposing diodes for the on positons, and put the whole thing in parallel with VR1. This will give you a bidirectional sweep for the on positions, and will revert back to Knight Rider in the off position........assuming you have the LM3914 in dot mode.
    That's an addition of three components for a much more versital circuit.:idea:

Last edited: 28 Feb 2003
  20. linear

linear Minimodder

Hey nice first post. Welcome to the boards.

Tags: Add Tags