1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Kogan offers HDTV buyers free HDMI cables

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Jul 2011.

1. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Cheers for the link but we did actually already link to expert reviews and to that specific investigation in the article.

2. Rustypouch

Rustypouch What's a Dremel?

My dad had the good sense to consult with myself after Currys told him he had to buy a HDMI Cable worth £40, when he bought a new TV. I got one for £5 delivered. My good deed for that year was complete.

3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I think that was a slight reading comprehension fail on my part :duh::p

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nickel plated is all you need. On everything. For external connectors the voltages are high enough that you don't need Gold. Even in corrosion chronic Taiwan nickel plating is enough.

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

The only reason I have ever bought an expensive (25£) HDMi cable was because I needed it to run 15 meters next to two power lines, and I wanted to be sure it was shielded properly. Other than that, I always buy those cheap-ass cables. If they happen to break, it's cheaper to replace them than buying quality the first time.

6. DaBigDog

DaBigDog What's a Dremel?

come on people, this isn't really shock news is it ?

Headline "UK high street retailer rips off stupid customers!!"

£15 for a USB cable, £10 for a ream of printer paper.. the list goes on - it's fair to remember that these customers are not forced at gunpoint to buy these things, they're either completely unaware of the market price and technology of the product, so walking into a high street retailer is the equivalent of sticking their head in the lions mouth - or they have fallen for the consumerist trap that the more expensive/better know brand is better - and if you wear anything from an above average ticket value brand - so have you !!! yes I fall into this section also - I just can't get enough of Hello Kitty..... ;-)

The only thing about this that gets my goat is when these high street bods start talking about driving value for their customers and caring about their customers needs.. they're business's, many are listed companies and so their first priority is to their shareholders - never forget that when they offer you an accessory or extended warranty - their PRIMARY concern is for their shareholders....

here's a thought, maybe they shuold be legally obliged to have a large sign on the entrance to the shops/web-sites reminding customers that their first consideration is to their shareholders and the customer MUST come second..?? what do you think ?

7. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Are their TVs any good though?

8. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Ha ha ha 10k for an HDMI cable sold from a company called "consoletronic", I wonder from their name and pricing structure are they trying to suggest something about their views of console users?

And before anyone starts, I said their views not mine. : p

9. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I note with interest that The Beast supports the 'latest' HDMI 1.3 standard, should be the perfect addition for my 3D tv then, AFK while I remortgage my house...

10. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

I have a HDMI cable that has poor quality. You get a kind of white ghost when something on the screen moves quickly IIRC.

Not that I'd ever pay more than £10 for one.

11. Xir

Xir Modder

Germany's major TV-sellers (MediaMarkt and Saturn) offer NO HDMI cable under 25€... for 1/2meter HDMI cable?
    'nuff said, Amazon's your friend.

I notice a difference as I have >10m cablelength, but it's a difference between a 10€ and a 20€cable...not going into the hundreds.
    (oh, and the difference isn't exactly digital...on low resolutions (720p), both worked, on 1080p, only one worked...signal to noise something I guess)

:thumb: I did exactly the same thing

12. Garfy400

Garfy400 Master of the Universe

"Giving four out of five stars only because the manufacturer fails to mention how delicious these cables are. They are best served as pasta and do not require a stove to prepare, as the cables actually boil the water for you. Ready to eat after only 45 seconds, they will be robust with flavor and will literally melt in your mouth. It's true that Denon linguini can go as much as $399,960 a bowl, but it is worth every penny! It is best prepared with a garlic infused white sauce accompanied by a glass of pinot noir bottled in 1986 or 1992. WARNING: DO NOT SERVE WITH CLAMS, SHRIMP OR OTHER OCEAN BASED LIFE FORMS!!! The resulting mutations ate two of our cats and we were forced to burn the house down.

Happy eating! "

Good Stuff! :)

13. John_T

John_T Minimodder

That did seriously make me laugh!

My brother did spend about £400 (ish) on the HDMI cable for his TV, which pretty much made me cry when he told me. His reasoning was that he knew the quality would be no different, but that he simply couldn't buy the extra long length he wanted at the time, (I'm going back quite a few years) - so he had to have it specially made to his exact measurements.

Still makes you weep though...

14. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

15. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Price: £9,936.00

In stock.
    Dispatched from and sold by Consoletronic Ltd.
    >>>Only 8 left in stock--order soon<<<

You got to wonder what there original stock level was?

16. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

I got a £40 HDMI cable thrown in with my TV because I've bought stuff from their before and so on and it did look the part but I knew spening that amount would usually be considered silly- I later needed a longer cable and spent £8 (which imo is reasonable) on longish cable, and there is no difference what so ever besides the cool name and cool design on the cable!

The only time I can imagine it making a difference is over long distances (such as Ethernet cables struggle over large distances) or for using them above rated capacity (which no TV will be doing anyway!)

17. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

For long runs... Show me how many need more than 5m cable ?

And while i paid more than few euros for my HDMI cables (9€ per cable), i had a reason - visual appearance, plus it was the cheapest HDMI 1.4 cable :
    http://www.evolve.cz/d-hdmi-kabel-evolve-xxtremecord-2-metry.html

18. veato

veato I should be working

I use thatcable.com and pay around a fiver for an HDMI. Bought some of their optical cables too. No need to spend silly money. Market nonsense is all it is.

19. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

The argument "it's digital so either it works or it doesn't" is wrong. HDMI runs so fast that it will often make mistakes because of attenuation and stray capacitances in the cable, as well as crosstalk. You can see what the distortion looks like on this page.

To overcome a lot of the errors, HDMI uses a forward-error-coding scheme:

At 24 bits per pixel, plus the 32-bit header, that gives 32x24+32 = 800 bits per packet, covered by an 8-bit BCH code. After 8b/10b encoding the 800 bits become 1000 transmitted bits. The 8-bit BCH code can correct up to 4 mistakes in the decoded data. However, because of the way 8b/10b encoding works, a single bit error in the encoded data will result in 3 to 5 errors in the decoded data. That means that often, a single mistake in 1000 bits will produce a burst of errors in the video data, that will show up as a pixel being slightly the wrong colour.

Now, these errors may often be invisible to the user, especially for short cables, if the system is running in 720p mode, or if a lower-end LCD is used, but at 1080p with a high quality display, the difference may be more apparent.

20. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@ch424: And all this shows up with 10m+ cables, which 90% of users didn't even seen, not even talking about using them.

Tags: Add Tags