1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming LA Noire Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 25 May 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat New Member

2. thelaw

thelaw New Member

So it lacks alot of actual gameplay, but sometimes you just want to interact a little with a decent game based movie with a plot something you can sit down to for a couple of hours and enjoy the plot and it looks like it will be nice to move away from mine/build/destroy or wander a map and blow things/people up games that are produced all the time.

Just a shame its not released for pc.

3. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Active Member

I quite like the look of this, I think I might be tempted however I spotted a posting in some game website (can't remember which) that said there was a patch release for this already. Pardon my ignorance here by showing how little I use my XBox but if I'm not online with my 360 (and have no intention of doing so) how do I get the patch?

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I think Rockstar forgot that even the most epic of movies, only last 3 hours.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I think Rockstar forgot that PCs exist too :(

6. mikemorton

mikemorton Member

Yep, we've been shafted over Red Dead Redemption - and now this too.

Who made you a success back in the day, Rockstar?

Oh yes, PC gamers. But we're not your core market any more, are we?

7. Sensei

Sensei New Member

Very true. Seems a lot of firms forget that it was the humble pc gamer that was behind their early success and quite easily shaft us when they see a quick buck to be made with the console whores.

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Sigh at the above two. It's a company, companies are there to make monnneeeh. If you want to play console-only games, go buy a console, it'll make a hell of a lot more good than bitching on a forum.

Have a nice day.

Oh back on topic: Interesting game. Just not my type.

9. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

Interesting, I thought that this game wouldn't live up to the hype. I'm also disappointed by the lack of a PC version, which I probably would've picked up in a Steam sale or something.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I work for a company that sells PC parts - so I will complain about there not being PC games :p

11. runadumb

runadumb New Member

Also gutted this and red dead aren't on PC. Open world games need that extra power so every location isn't empty.

This is the first negative review i've read. Thought it looked much more like Mafia 2 (which I loved) than heavy rain (which I hated) but now I'm thinking that's not the case. Still buying it though, eventually. Still haven't gotten round to Red Dead as I've been hopelessly waiting on a PC version :(

Oh and GTA4 was bloated out on the PC with that unnecessary Rockstar club and GFWL crap especially on steam but I sold my PS3 version for the PC version and the PC was much much better.

12. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney New Member

I don't think you can blame consolification for this game's shortcomings. New tech like this costs serious money which has to be recouped in a timely fashion. All the problems could have been ironed out but it would have taken another couple of years of development to put enough content into this game to make it really great and Rockstar don't have a huge cash-cow to tide them over like Blizzard does with World of Warcraft while they spruce up Diablo 3 (damn, that gameplay video seems so long ago...).

The trick GTA pulled was cramming huge amounts of interactivity into the game without really needing very much beyond the basic assets of cars, people and scenery. All the missions, side-tasks, added extras, they needed very little by way of original work done of them compared to the thought-out detail LA Noire needs for it's crime scenes and interviews - set dressing, script complexity, event ordering, on-camera acting; In contrast, GTA just needed a short voice over, a gesticulating character model (easily recycled) and a little AI scripting and some on-screen text per linear mission. Not exactly taxing.

13. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate New Member

Since this' quickly descended into console bashing/PC whining:

I have all the consoles going, because I like to be able to play whatever I want.
    I prefer the PC, because a mouse & keyboard is a more precise control system & because it can't be outperformed graphically. But if something is released as a console only exclusive I don't really care. It'll effect the money I hand over, but that's the price of publishers decision & the way money is spent is the only thing that will effect that. I won't let it bug me.
    I buy all my PC games new, mostly preorders, mostly digital, £30 a pop. But I hardly ever buy a new console game, I get them all cheap 2nd hand, because I rarely think a game that only runs at 720p with no AA & a limited control system & requires that I insert a disc is worth £30, let alone £40. It's a stunted release. But I'll fork out £10-20 & enjoy it when I get it.
    Publishers release where they want to release, if you don't like it, distribute your money accordingly. Effecting the market one tiny piece at a time. The market is the only thing the publishers will really react to.

This falls into that category. I had a look at the weekend & it looks like a pretty good game, a nice gritty take on an adventure game & with a lot pf period style.
    I'm curious as to it's replay value since I get the impression that as well as being linear in terms of cases, there's only one correct resolution to everything, although it would seem there are degrees of 'correct-ness' & that the order these things are done in is perhaps flexible within each case. But that was both the blessing & curse of Heavy Rain & numerous older games, for the thrill of a well put together story & pacing you may have to tie yourself to a limited or linear narrative. Doesn't stop a game being great though.
    Also (despite not being released on the most technologically advanced medium), the tech at work looks quite impressive & I really look forward to interrogating someone relying solely on facial tells.
    Fingers crossed, perhaps they'll patch in some kind of subtlety slider that allows you to rely more on your instincts than sound cues for investigations, or alternatively, prompt you (through your notebook) as to the order in which to question.
    It seems quite a convenient dynamic that could be almost endless as far as DLC or expansions are concerned too, just patching more cases onto the end whenever they like too. That'd be interesting.

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Fair enough, but I'm just so sick of the "waah console fags get all the fun omgomg"-stuff.

Maybe I just need a cookie..

15. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

That's a pretty unfair conclusion to come too. I've done three out of the four desks (chapters) and its a very engaging game. You can argue the cases are repetitive as each one involves finding clues and talking to witnesses but that's were the story, dialogue and acting comes into play. There is a continuing story, and back stories that run throughout the game and most of the cases are genuinely interesting in their own right. Do not think of this as an interactive movie; think of it as an interactive TV show with each case being an episode and it makes much more sense. It's repetitive in the same way CSI is repetitive in that each episode follows a theme and a formula.

Baz's criticisms are all fair and valid but I feel he has concentrated more on the negative points than the good points. My biggest disappointment is the open world of LA feels very sterile and lacks atmosphere. Driving around is a chore and I skip it where ever possible.

Overall though the motion capture and facial animation lives up to the hype. It makes the game more immersive, the characters more believable and I hope it becomes widely adopted by the industry.

16. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

The company you work for also makes consoles too ;)

17. Hovis

Hovis New Member

I applaud Rockstar for the embracing the commercial self-harm that comes with trying to expand and evolve the art of making computer games. Very few AAA games ever dare to be different. Very few are even a new IP. So I hope the game does well.

The whole PC/Console debate doesn't enter into it as far as I am concerned. Of course we all want every game on PC, that's just a given, but I'm not going to begrudge Rockstar for not making PC releases. In my book they are one of the few companies for who creating games is an art form, and like all artists they get to play by different rules.

18. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I'm a gamer. PLAY MOAR GAMES ON ANY CONSOLE! But I prefer PC. Simple as.

This looks very interesting but not one I can see myself playing for more than an hour or so. I don't do storyline. :)

19. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

I've been playing the game for several hours now. And I'm on the 2nd disc. I have enjoyed it so far....

However, I'm struggling to keep pushing on with the game. It's very, very repetitive. I know it's structured that way. Investigate, interview, interrogate with a dash of suspect chasing inbetween. I know the traditional GTA formula is similar but at least you could stop playing missions when you get bored and go blow S%^t up for a while.

I'm going to finish the game, as the story is keeping me interested. But it's like CSI in my opinion. Once you've seen one, you've seen them all.

20. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

It's a fantastic game. Complaining that you've seen it all and it's the same after 5 hours is very harsh as that can be applied to most titles.

It has one of the most interesting stories backed up by great characters and if that isn't a reason to keep playing I don't know why you even bother. There is replay value to 5 star all the cases and and find all the clues/suspects and I'm sure there is going to be DLC cases released.

Wish it was out on PC though. Playing GTA IV through again in max 60fps glory and it is great

Tags: Add Tags