1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Lag driving me insane! What's my bottleneck?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by smoguzbenjamin, 3 May 2005.

1. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

I did a full install (which copies themusic to your HDD) and I have about 25% free space. I'd love to back stuff up but my CD-RW drive is broken :(

2. smoguzbenjamin

Well I'm defragging here. It's been going for over three hours now and it's only at 55%. I'm using my 2nd machine to post right now. I love having more than one PC. In any case, this is the longest defrag I've ever encountered, and it is 'compacting' my files. I hope it's not compressing them therefore making read times even worse :p

It looks like I'm going to have to leave it on overnight. Bugger! Are super-slow defrags normal? Anyone? :worried:

3. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

well thats becase when you defrag a hard drive it has to put the files somewhere, so it temp copies them to the unsed space cleans up the space and moves them back, but if your drive as very little space left, then the defrag will take longer.

4. UberDude

UberDude What's a Dremel?

If its not the harddrive, see if you have Cool N Quiet enabled in your bios. While you are there check your voltages.

5. smoguzbenjamin

Cool 'n' Quiet is disabled and my Core voltage is 1.55v. My PSU rails aren't exactly their allocated values (12v is around 11.85) but I used a multimeter to measure that, software isn't always reliable.

Oh and the defrag took 4 hours and has solved at least some of the lag problem. I can only see it if I look really hard now :rock:

Tags: