1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LAN locations

Discussion in 'General' started by instant rice, 2 Feb 2004.

1. instant rice

instant rice What's a Dremel?

where do you go to for lan parties most often? just interested to see how other people prefer to set up.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Only been to one so far, Glenrothes in Fife, might be a wee bit out of your way though, lol :D

3. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

4. Crazith

Crazith What's a Dremel?

well you could get to South Dakota, My Uni is having another lan party Feb. 28th but ya as zap said Quake and TXGF is awsome to bad I can never get down there.....

<thinks to himself>
    hmmm maybe I can get friends together and do a road trip.....
    </thinks to himself>

HEY ZAP if I come down with like three friends would you house us????

5. ZapWizard

Umm, I am in a tiny aparment. (two rooms total)
    So sorry.

6. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

7. instant rice

i was referring to smaller events. such as you and a few friends. do you go to someone's basement? rent a hotel room? dig a hole?

8. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

9. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

if you can call 4 mates with the computers in different rooms of the house a lan party then i have them at mine now and again lol. the neigbhours find it kinda funny some of the things they hear us shouting accross the place to each other... :rock: :duh: :hip:

10. ZapWizard

Ah, Well there are quite a few Gaming Centers popping up around the country, they often rent out time for BYOC lans, and of course have their own machines for you to play on.

But, I guess it really depends on how many people you have.

I have played lans in my tiny apartment (three players), at a friends house with more then 5 players, at gaming centers with 16 players (mostly friends), and at gaming centers with more then 100 players.

Hotel rooms don't usualy work, due to the amount of power outlets, and the lack of a good outside network connection.
    But Hotel Conference rooms can have plenty of power, and network connections, they are good for medium sized do-it-yourself LANs.

The guide 486Hawk has up there is pretty good too.

11. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

If you want to find true LAN partys and not gaming centers, go to
    http://www.lanparty.com

they have huge lists of upcoming LANs.

12. instant rice

i've got a place you could sorta call a gaming center. a guy i work with has a computer store and wanted to set up a lan in the basement, but has a long way to go before he has the cash to build systems. he recently got his dsl installation and i asked if we could do a BYOC thing and he said it would be fine. we're waiting for the legality portions of it to come through (for waivers and such) but the way it's being run will pretty much be 24/7 with me in charge. my friends and i needed something like this after the kid whose house we always went to was closed to outside computers.

13. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

:rock:

14. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

er houses if we get em up to around 12 ppl in a small living room gets squished but good fun

The local scout hut for anything up to 20 odd only has power for 30 players we think :( so gonna have to hunt around for some where new soon

power is the problem if u want to organise anything middle sized and up unfortunately as a mate who runs The Big Game (southampton lan party) hosts a 70 odd player one in a secondry school and keeps tripping the power
    :(

Pies

15. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Almost every other weekend (long as there isnt a big LAN nearby) me and my buds get together and have a small LAN at one of our houses. We just get a hand full of surge protectors and network cables and then one of us brings a 24 port switch and we game away the night and day with our comps. Pretty cool but we are kind of limited on what games to play (as an entire group) seeing as how the scale of computer power goes from only capable of running CS to able to run just about everything at max settings. We usually have around 18 people though once we had 21.

16. prophecy421

prophecy421 What's a Dremel?

Before I got sick, my house used to be the place to go for LAN parties, I have 3 24 port 10/100 switches in my home network.. It is overkill, but I had LAN parties in mind when I set it up. I also have a dedicated game server, as well as 2 other servers in my "computer room" 1 for dedicated web server and another for security. Way overkill for any home use, but oh well its only money :D