1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Lan Party Requests

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by NoObY-DoObY, 15 May 2003.

1. NoObY-DoObY

NoObY-DoObY Hanging on by a thread...

I dont know where to put this but if its in the wrong place plz replace it in the right "forums" ummm. i know im not the best modder but i still mod a lil bit and i have friends and we always play pc games.... plz help me how i should make a lan party... um... what i need and stuff like internet lan connections, food, (pizza) drinks, games, the works.... thanks!!!

2. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Add me to your msn

M_D_K2000 at hotmail . com
    i can help if you like

3. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

switch with as many ports as you have PCs, plenty of long CAT5 patch cables. Call your local Domino's Pizza, I know my dad gives discounts for 10+ pizzas, make sure that your not plugging every PC into one breaker. check out your circuit breaker in the house and run extension cables if need be so that you arent overloading one breaker and constantly loosing power. have all game updates/patches/levels/ad-ons, on a CD or two so that everyone can get the files they need. lots of caffine. www.thinkgeek.com , order a case or two of Bawls. Good stuff. patience.

4. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Ditto here, between the two of us you're sure to get some good advice and find us online. shadowspawn2000 (at) hotmail.com

One place you might check for advice is www.lanparty.com

5. NoObY-DoObY

morphine how can i reach u??? again forgot

6. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Yo shadow added you to msn :D add me

7. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

first of all, go ahead like me and run CAT5 cables to every room in ure house. Secondly, get a DHCP server running, so there will be no confusion about IP settings. As mentioned get long Cat5 patch cables(remeber a run over 300 ft doesnt work well though). as for food and ****...make em buy their own

8. NoObY-DoObY

thnx hydrogen

9. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

yah generaly we make a pool adn then send 2 unfortunate souls to go get the food heres other stuff you need
    tables
    extension cables
    power strips
    cat5 (tell ppl to bring their own, make sure you have no nubs whohave comps without ethernet port)
    Lighting or lack of
    one big ol switch or if you gots the skill you can daisy chain routers that people bring (what we usually do) knowledge and such of your circut breaker (dont daisy chain power supplies)
    b4 the party make fliers and such of what to and not to bring. They suck if every guy has his 300 Watt sound system... Tables and chairs are a big concern every one needs mouse room and monitor room. If you have an extra comp you can make a file server put all the patches, updates, cool stuff on that so any1 can grab what they need with out lagging you down. PRevious knowledge of what games are gonna be played so everyone will play the same stuff. And most importantly make surey ou bring skillz

10. VadimtheConqueror

VadimtheConqueror I love the little tacos...

byoe- bring your own everything

we have lan parties at my friends house every now and again, they provide the desks, the power and the place, you bring everything else. get everyone to bring a little cash, 5 bucks per person can go a long way towards pizza. if the other atendees are not big caffeine consumers, you can get some stuff for the mto drink, but if they're anything like me, make them bring their own. last lan i had a minor overdose of caffeine, got real sick, had to leave around 8 or so(unlike the normal 10). make sure you have enough room for people's chairs, unless you have something that's relatively comfortable.

11. Cipher_UK

Cipher_UK What's a Dremel?

Two of us run LAN parties every three months or so, we take over a village hall for the weekend for about 12ish people, full Dedicated servers, sleeping, kitchen etc.

If you need any information etc i have just started a website for this kind of information. I have no content yet (still putting it together) but the forum is working and i keep my eye on it. Our next party is the end of this month.

Or Email ME

12. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

AIM: DIY Proctologist
    MSN: pizzaeatnmonkey @ hotmail.com

13. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

ive run a fair few (if not all the ones) that MDK has been to so give me a shout
    EMAIL: eaterofpies(at)softhome(dot)net or on
    MSN: eaterofpies(at)msn(dot)com

14. Cicada

Cicada What's a Dremel?

that about sums it up

15. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

16. bHawk

bHawk What's a Dremel?

Me and 15 or so other friends run lan parties every 1-2 months. Its an all night event, so caffeine is crucial. Because we rotate hosting every time (we hold them at peoples houses) the host usually pays for food and drink, but if ur poor and cant afford that (or if its just too many damn people) $5-8 should be plenty (maybe a bit more if u have to pay for the location). Hmm... lemme give you some tips from personal experience of hosting/attending small-medium sized lans.

- Running out of food is no where near as bad as running out of (caffienated) drink! Id estimate you have at least .75-1 drink per person per hour.

- Make sure youre not putting everyone on the same breaker. And just in case you do, and the lights go out, have some really long extension cords ready to reroute power.

- A file server is very usefull. I suggest you make everyone instal Daemon tools if u wanna that way you can put cd images people might need on the fileserver, as well as patches, etc. If thats not an option, make at least 1 CD with all the necessary files for every 2-3 people.

- Make sure everyone has a decent system. Specially in small to medium lans, nothing sucks worse than inviting a friend to lan only to realize they have a dinosaur of a computer that wont even run half-life.

- Unless u plan on having a really big lan, chaining routers together will be the best/cheapest choice. Make sure u have some long ethernet cables to link them.

Thats all i can think of at the moment.

Tags: