1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Lan PC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by corvette, 5 Nov 2003.

1. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

suttin that is small and sorta spacey

needs to hold the following equip

2x Hdds
    2500xp + cooler
    gfx ( undecided )
    sound ( most likely onboard though )
    Lan ( again most likely onboard though )
    burner
    PSU
    cooling ( most likely air )
    And of course mods

what would be a good mix for these

also if you could name a few cases and if they dont suite then i may make my own out of perspex

2. noCode

noCode What's a Dremel?

I must say i don't understand..

Are you asking for a suiting case? Then perhaps you should tell us what motherboard/PSU size you are using. ATX/mATX?

The equipment you mention should fit good in a Shuttle SN45G i you haven't got a motherboard yet.

3. corvette

have decided on what type

but i want it to perform as good as a normal PC but be as small as possible

ive had ideas with shuttles but cooling looks dodgey in them

4. noCode

noCode What's a Dremel?

Ah, ok!

I would say go mATX for best upgradeability. There is some good nForce2 mATX boards out there, but don't expect all the features from a full size board.

For a case the Lian Li 9300 or the Cooler Master 620, both with full size card slots and the CM takes regular ATX PSUs.

A Shuttle is a bit smaller though if size is important.

5. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

is this rig going to be just for LAN
    if so why do you need 2 hard drives?

6. corvette

well Alot of leeching happens at the lans but ive been thinking mabe just a western digi 120Gb would be serficed

a shuttle PC case can they hold a standard PSU or do they need those slim line 1s coz i dont wanna be jibbed power for my babeh

( im looking at the CM now looks sexy ) thanks for the help guys

7. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom What's a Dremel?

A standard PSU is about 3/4 the size of a shuttle case, they use a small PSU.

8. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

shuttles use a 1U jobby

9. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Is the FIC Ice Cube a bad word around here?

Has an integrated handle in the top, http://www.fic.com.tw/product/sff/mini/ice-cube.aspx

perfect for the ol' LAN party!

Ahhh! But it is not an AMD rig...

Hrmmmm... wonder if you can find the ICE Cube case, and then purchase the Shuttle SFF mobo and put the 2 together!

Now THAT would be nice!
    :naughty:

10. Bossman

Bossman What's a Dremel?

You can fit a standard sized PSU in a shuttle, just without the box. I've done it, just wasnt permenant. You do loose the Floppy IDE channel and the fets are close to the PSU board too.

11. corvette

well i only want AMD system and no prebuilds

ok so what mobos and stuff u guy reccomend
    it doesnt need to have 400 frames a seconds 100 fps will be just fine ram i need atleast 512 hdd 80Gb or higher

12. noCode

noCode What's a Dremel?

If you want to be able to overclock your 2500+, a nForce2 Ultra 400 based board is a good choise. One mATX board with that is the Chaintech 7NIL1/2 (would recomend the 7NIL2 if you're going to use integrated audio). If you're satisfied with standard 333MHz bus and integrated GeForce MX graphics, any nForce2 IGP based board is an alternative. ASUS A7N8X-VM is a good choise there.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2003
  13. FearsomeMouse

FearsomeMouse What's a Dremel?

I've had some bad experiances with the Asus model you've mentioned... especially in terms of working under loads and power issues (I happen to have one in the family rig...)

My advice is to go with the Chaintech - they're not a mysterious brand by any stretch of the imagination and they're performance is satisfactory. Typically i would have recommended the Asus....

I would get a separate video card as well - GF4 MX440 AGP should do you fine (since you've got the hardware to back it up) and its one hell of a lot better than the GeForce2 (as you wouldnt have guessed)... It should give you the 100 fps your looking for and give a small amount of scalability for the future (although i say that with a bit of hesitation) -> put it this way - it will last you better than the Geforce 2 which i think will cause you a bit of fustration.

The AMD 2500+ is a good choice. I can't recall if you mentioned it (and the effort of scrolling down is just too much) but make sure with your retailer that you get the barton core as there are two versions of the chip available- suprisingly. The barton core will have a lower clock speed but a 512kb l2 cache which should help the gaming along considerably.

As for the RAM - If you're looking for budget you could go 256MB but i wouldn't recommend it for things like Lans, where the chances are that your going to be leeching and playing games at the same time. Your choice of 512 should suffice nicely.

HDD's - if your considering going 2x80gb consider a raid. Should help the leeching along as well as improve game speeds. If you go SATA RAID - +AU$100 or so, make sure you take into account the capabilities of your raid controller (assuming there's one onboard). mATX boards do have it onboard i dont think - you might want to check this up.

I think the most prudent advise i can offer to you is to have a look at the hardware your thinking of getting online. Read at least four or five reviews of the same piece and other pieces that relate to it to make an informed choice before buying. Chances are that they're going to try to avoid refunding your money after you've taken the goods home and had a think about it. :eyebrow:

Keep us informed of whats going to happen to this machine. I'm anxious to see what these mysterious mods are ... :demel:

That is all...

--FearsomeMouse

14. RaptorRed

RaptorRed What's a Dremel?

as far as i know which might bot be that far but the GF4 mx range is based on the GF2 core + they are realy bad for games which require even directx 8.1 hardware sipport ie they dont have it.

15. noCode

noCode What's a Dremel?

Getting a MX440 over the integrated IGP isn't realy worth it. If he's to go with en extra card i would say go ATi, whose budget cards (9000, 9100, 9200) is better than their NVidia counterparts.

For better gaming preformance i would say 9600 (Pro if there is money for it).

16. corvette

17. noCode

noCode What's a Dremel?

Well with low profile cards you're really limited in graphic cards. Don't count on finding anything fast. The best you can get is probably an GeForce 440MX or a Radeon 9000. :duh:

18. reGen

reGen Minimodder

get a shuttle sk45 and u can use any gfx, any CPU, i know someone who took his barton 2500+ to 3200+ no problem in it, can fit 2hdd if u dont want a floppy. perfect.