1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks LAN Transfer Speeds ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PHILIP1193, 24 Dec 2007.

1. PHILIP1193

PHILIP1193 a Self Confessed HP Server Lover!!

Hi Guys

More of a whats your opinion thread than anything i suppose.

Tonight iv been tranpshering a lot of data around over my network 200GB :jawdrop: which is a hell of a lot.

The transfer was between my vista machine and my sbs server. Vista was reporting that i was getting between any where between 8 to 24 megabyte per second ACTUAL transfer speed. Which i thought wasn't too good considering i have invested in a managed gigabit switch and both computers are fully gigabit with 320gb 16 mb cache drives in them?

What do you reckon? Or should i be pleased with my speeds?

Btw i dont recommend attempting to transfer that much data in one go. My sbs server (which was at the receiving end of the data) decided to choke up when i tried to push the full 200GB at one time and my vista machine also decided to keep dropping off the network lol. How ever broken down into the smaller 20-40gb chunks it went a bit better. How ever when i got it down to 10-20 gig chunks it was happy.

Obviously this isn't a normal amount of data i transfer and most of the time at home im pulling movies and music off the server along with the odd game image file, which is dandy.

One last quick question though... My network utilization was only every about 15-25% and that was sporadic. i.e. it was transfer a load of data and then none for 30 seconds or so. Is that normal?

Cheers
    Phil

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

24MB/s isn't too bad, it's about 200megabit/s, so twice the speed of older 100mbps LANs ;)

I guess the limiting factor in your setup are the HD's (max bandwith of about 70-80MB/s) of both your Vista machine and your Server. Also, Unless you use TCP offloading cards, your entire motherboard has to work for the data to go from your HD, through your IDE/SATA controller and CPU and PCI bus, to your NIC and on the wire. Which causes delays, load, and lower speeds. And that is just one side of the deal, at the recieving end the process is reversed, from the wire, through the NIC and PCI bus, onto your CPU, through the IDE/SATA controller onto the (slow) HD.

I once copied 200GB from one internal drive to an other (IDE to IDE, on separate channels) and I got speeds that are about what you are seeing (a bit higher, but not that much). If you want higher speeds, I recommend buying an expensive server motherboard (which has a higher troughput), a TCP offloading card (which eliminates the CPU at a high cost) on a 64bit PCI-X lane, and some hardware RAID(5) array for a couple of fast harddrives. Should set you back for about (€650 + €500 + €1200 + 5-6 HD's) €2500 without CPU, memory,... And that's times 2, for both ends of the connection.

3. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

here's some thoughts which may help...

slowness is mostly related to chipsets and HDDs

[1] try use jumbo frames.. i think it is at 9000 instead of the normal 1500 max. not all NIC and Switch/Router supports it. almost all server class switches are much faster with jumbo frames and non-blocking feature.

[2] Windows has some registry limiting factor. there's a hack that may improve it, only a tiny bit.

[3] The HDD and mobo's BUS has some limiting factor. Not sure by how much, SATA-LAN-SATA HDD transfer did felt faster compared to IDE-LAN-IDE.

[4] if both systems' mobos have NV chipsets with twin Gigabit, you could setup a Twin/Dual parallel connections acting as a single line. It's in the mobo's driver software. never tried it but it's there.

[5] on short cable run with properly connected RJ45, and without power lines running parallel next to it, cable is not a problem. But we use Cat-6 STP in the lab walls and floor anyway.

The servers in my lab are running between 750-900 and my desktops are running on 280-320 (non-RAID HDD), per line on gigabit LAN.

that was the best i could do.

Tags: