1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build - In Progress ⭐ LANpak - Scratch Build(Sept 12, 2019)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by InsolentGnome, 27 Nov 2018.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's starting to look like a jet pack. :worried:

InsolentGnome likes this.
  2. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Active Member

While the window was curing up, I decided to get the back panel and door ready. The clear coat came out nice, but you can always make it nicer. So I knocked the finish down with 500, 800,1000, and 3000 grit sandpaper and then attacked it with some finishing compound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the door shined up, I decided to put my latch hardware on it. Just some simple cam latches, but that's all it really needs.

[​IMG]

So I drilled some holes and slapped them in. Fine tuning them will come later.

[​IMG]

The door is covering a nice little spot that I'm gonna toss my keyboard, mouse, headset and cables, so all I have to carry into the LAN is a monitor. Since those items can be a bit pricey to replace, I wanted to finish the cubby with something softer than carbon fiber since I don't feel like buying new peripherals. I had some fleece backed suede-like material and I thought that would be perfect, soft, fluffy, just what it needs.

I cut a piece to fit and using Super 77 adhesive, slapped it in. The edges are a bit rough, but I'll get back to those later, cause at this point I was in a bit of a rush to finish for QuakeCon and from the outside you can't even tell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it's kind of a fancy look. Makes me think of a hypercar with a nice tan interior, crazy performance on the outside, luxury on the inside. I decided the door could use the same treatment because things would be rubbing on it, plus the suede was a good material to keep the door from scratching up the lip it sat on.

[​IMG]

It looks horrible but it gets better. I trimmed off some of the fleece around the edges.

[​IMG]

And then some more Super 77 to stick it down. I did go back after this pic to straighten up the edges, they just bugged me.

[​IMG]

So now we're getting somewhere, let's see about making this contraption carryable. When I put all the parts together I slipped some tie downs in at the bolt locations. They're pretty beefy, rated at 700 lbs. but this isn't the place to skimp.

[​IMG]

And then some replacement backpack straps.

[​IMG]

Just a little spoiler about the straps. 1st off, they totally worked, I carried the LANpak into QuakeCon strapped to my back, no problems whatsoever. But $12 backpack straps gonna be $12 backpack straps. After judging for the mod contest and getting into the top 3, I had to take the case to the ballroom for the place announcements on stage. I was just starting to pick up the case and one of the ends of the straps gave out. Luckily I hadn't even gotten the case off the table so no harm done, but dang it! Thankfully it happened then and not when I was carrying the case around on my back. New straps have been ordered with a little more capacity and no cheap metal connectors, but this is part of the process so I had to throw it in.

So with the straps it does work like a normal backpack. A little bigger and in need of some strap adjustment, but it works.

[​IMG]

And the case, with straps...under 10 lbs. Awesome!

[​IMG]

Thanks for following along and thanks to my sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

I don't think I'm spoiling anything if I say that I've seen this in person today... and it's dead sexy!

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You missed a chance to do this...
    [​IMG]

5. InsolentGnome

Thanks! It was good catching up!

6. InsolentGnome

I mean, that would have been way simpler to do than my route.

7. InsolentGnome

With the outside kinda wrapping up, let's put the inside together.

With the PSU mounted, I can set the height of my GPU and attach the bracket to keep it from flopping around. I epoxied the piece of aluminum because I didn't want to drill holes in the backplate to mount the bracket.

[​IMG]

And I got everything put on the board except for the cooling.

[​IMG]

I also wrangled some switches from another build. I don't think they're permanent, but I do need a way to turn it off and on.

[​IMG]

Starting to run the cables. The switches will go on the CF frame above the GPU if your looking at this pic. The panel they're on uses the same mounts the frame does.

[​IMG]

At this point I was waiting on seeing what I was going to be using for cooling so I checked to see if what I had so far fit.

[​IMG]

I also knocked out some decals to break up the solid black. How about a nice NVIDIA green .

[​IMG]

At this point, I couldn't wait. QuakeCon was a few days away and my cooling stuff hadn't come in, so I went with Plan B/sorta Plan A.5. I wanted to get this into the CM World Series, but couldn't for the life of me figure out how, none of their PSU's even come close to fitting and I'm not gonna put a few fans in it and call it good. But, I needed a cooler, and I happened to know where a Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 240 was. Off to my parents house!

Yes, I stole the cooler off my parents computer. I'm a horrible person. But I did put a Scythe Grand Kama Cross 3 back on, which is not only cool looking but dead quiet. Not that they even care, the only question I got was could they still use it.

[​IMG]

And cooler installed on the board. Installing this thing in the shell is going to be....interesting.

[​IMG]

Actually just mounting the MB to the frame was interesting. Yes, I had to pull a stick of RAM to plug in the PSU. I mean, we've all run into that before, right? Right?!?

[​IMG]

But I would guess most people haven't had to ream out the mounting holes of the PSU to gain that 1/16th of an inch so they could get the RAM stick back in and working. Just guessing.

I think doing a little testing with this spaghetti monster might be a good idea before shoving it into the shell.

[​IMG]

It all works and next time I'll start cleaning it all up so I can shoehorn it into it's home. Thanks for following along and thanks to my sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheapskate and craigbru like this.