1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lanparty and corsair, dual channel problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by apl1970, 29 Apr 2005.

1. apl1970

apl1970 What's a Dremel?

I recently bought the following items:-

DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3800 Venice 90nm
    Corsair 1GB DDR XMS4400 TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2.5
    HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X800 XL ICEQII TURBO 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI

But I`m having problems getting the mobo to work in Dual channel.

I put it all together as instructed by the manual (memory sticks in slots 2 and 4) and my windows refused to start, almost gets there but then my pc restarts. No problem, I thought, just some conflict in my old/new motherboard drivers. Format and start again.

Then windows setup refused to start, giving me IRQL_NOT EQUALL blah, blah, blah. Hmmmmm I thought, bugger!

I`ve now got a memory stick in slots 1 and 2 and it starts up but after the post screen in keeps asking me to but the memory in 2 and 4 for dual channel!

My memory is also only running at 333 and not the standard 400MHz, which is what the board reverts to in this setup.

I`m after any advice as to what is going on, has anybody had this, and what to do about it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

well if you can get into the bios try setting the fsb to the correct. also attempt just booting with each stick by itself to rule out a bad memory stick

3. apl1970

apl1970 What's a Dremel?

I have some news to aid in your assistance to me.

I used the sticks in Dual config (slots 2 and 4) and ran memtest. I came up with a LOT of errors, in the thousands. Hmm, I thought, here`s a problem. I then checked each individual stick in slot 2 with memtest and there were no problems or errors. I then ran memtest on the memory in slots 1 and 2 (single channel) and it was OK.

I set my old PC up (A7N8X, athlon 2800+, radeon 9700 Pro) with my new memory in dual channel mode and didn`t get any errors.

Apart from the memory issues I`ve also had problems with the Graphics card cooling fan (HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X800 XL ICEQII TURBO 256MB ) stopping errratically and I assumed it was faulty. I`ve tested that on another PC, it was OK. I replaced it in my PC, IT WAS OK?????

I`m drawn to the conclusion I have a faulty Mobo or a underpowered power supply (Zalman ZM400A-APF) with the MOBO the obvious choice.

HHHEEEEELLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

4. Baldick

Baldick Banned

ok dont panick as there are a lot of BIOs out there.try one of the newer betas as they were designed with mem compatibilty in mind.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/114

i thin this is the one that may just fix it. http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/114/images/N4D414-1.zip
    as it was specific for TCCD which i believe that corsair you have is.

let us know what happens. :hip:

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

check a stick in just slot 4, the slot may be bad.
    can't you use 1 and 3 as well? (I don't have a DFI board so if not I plead ignorance)

6. Baldick

Baldick Banned

yes that is possible i suppose with the slots. I do belive you can use 1 and 3 but best performance is with 2 and 4(if they work).im sure a BIOs update willhelp so please keep us updated re that.

7. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

That's not TCCD, XMS4400 is based on Hynix I think (but not positive). I'd say that your problems either stem from 1T (that's command rate on) being set in the BIOS, which the RAM, board or CPU may not be able to handle in your configuration, or from the ram not being able to handle whatever timings the motherboard imposes on them at 166/200MHz. Some chips can't run at Cas2, for example, no matter how slow, and if you're running that then it would make sense you wouldn't be stable.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I would say that your big problem is a mis-matched pair of sticks. Why else would they work in one config, then not work in Dual channel? Of course i defer to Kam if he's right. :)

9. apl1970

apl1970 What's a Dremel?

An update.

I used the same 2 sticks of ram in my a7n8x in DUAL CHANNEL and had no problems, windows loads, memtest passes them.

Does the AMD Venice 3800 use a direct link (without northbridge) for memory control? I`m wondering if I`ve got a dicky chip, I`ll try Prime95 to push it.

The memorysticks have 2.5-4-4-8 written on them, exactly which settings need to be these figures and which alternatives shopuld I try? For anyone who doesn`t know, the Lanparty has a wide range of settings to alter. What about the voltage?

I`ve updated the Bios to the latest official release and I`m going to try a BETA version now.
    BTW, thanks for all your help. :D

10. Kameleon

It is a TwinX set, so they should have been tested together in DC. Of course there's always the chance that one of the sticks is dodgy, trying them individually through memtest might not show that up either if they work OK together in SC. My money's on them not liking 1T, if it's not a problem with the BIOS settings then things get a lot harder to diagnose.

11. apl1970

apl1970 What's a Dremel?

So I can alter it to 2T.

What are the other settings I could alter and to what? I`m not exactly sure about memory timing valus and what to alter them to to get stability.

I`ll give 2T a go now.

Thanks again!

12. Kameleon

Again that could well be just because the A7N8X runs 2T as default (I believe nearly every NF2 board did) or that it reads the SPD correctly and doesn't try to force too tight timings.

Yes it does, if this is a hardware fault it's much more likely to be the RAM or the CPU (memory controller has moved from the motherboard to the CPU in the A64 architecture) than the board.

OK, for 2.5-4-4-8: CAS latency is 2.5, Trcd is 4, Trp is 4, and Tras is 8. Leave everything else at default, except for CPC (that's the 1T/2T thing) which you should disable if it isn't already off.

Hope that helps ;)

EDIT - Bah you're too fast, good luck :D

13. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Earlier 4400 was Hynix based, the newer stuff is based on TCCD however.

14. Kameleon

Really? Thought it was only Corsair XL stuff that had TCCD. You learn something new every day ;)

Looking through RAM lists, it seems to have snuck in under the radar of some of them, but others include it. Yeah, the Cas2.5 stuff should be TCCD, it still might not like 2T but that does change my way of thinking a bit more towards a possible hardware fault, as it *should* run fine 2-2-2 1T at below 200MHz, at least from my experiences.

15. apl1970

apl1970 What's a Dremel?

I`ve had success, sort off :D

I altered the mem freq to 100Mhz and it booted in Dual.

I`ve read what you put (re cpc) and will try that at normal settings.

16. apl1970

apl1970 What's a Dremel?

Put everything back to auto and disabled cpc, boots first time.

Some conflict there then maybe. Now, if I want to overclock this lot,do I put the timing figures up or down? e.g. 3-5-5-9?