1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Laptop buying issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rat1sully, 19 Jan 2013.

1. Rat1sully

Rat1sully At Least Skt478 Never Broke

Afternoon all

Being the resident tech geek in my family is all well and good when it comes to building gaming rigs but i know nothing about laptops and my mum is bugging me for buying advice her requirements are;

<2kgs
    <£700

She's aiming for responsiveness and battery life and I seriously have no idea, in my head an i5 should be a middle ground processor but I'm not sure with mobile chips and an SSD doesn't seem necessary as there is no gaming requirement but that's what they all seem to have.

Any advice greatly appreciated

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

An SSD is great no matter what the machine is used for.

Personally I lean towards IBM thinkpads for there build quality and ease of maintenance considering you can download the service manual for every lenovo/IBM product going. However their not cheap, and I do know the cheaper Lenovo's are very similar to the rest of the laptops at the price point.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

What's an ssd got to do with games?

I5 is overkill for the listed needs as well.

Second hand MacBook Air is where I'd be looking if it was my budget.

Or if having windows is not needed you could look at a chromebook ( far and away the best cheap laptop)

Most laptops in the bracket your aiming for sacrifice something to get that price point.

Screen and battery life been the big 2, there is no real must buy laptop in this price range.

If you can go to £750 say you can get a thinkpad t430u fits your requirements.

Biggest issue you will find is not alot of laptops are sub 2kg. Even with the thinkpad above your paying a premium for the form factor

Asus ux32a is in your budgets and specs but i can't find a review of it that states screen or battery life.

4. Rat1sully

yeah I figured there would be a compromise to be in that price point, ok on the SSD front I kind of meant that having a 32Gb SSD and a 500Gb HDD just seems like adding cost to me.

If i3s are any good then hitting this price point seems a lot easier it is never going to be used for gaming only for travel and work stuff and the occasional film so can't see the screen being too much of an issue as long as its not a glare monster

5. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

£400 will get you an i3 or i5 system with 4GB+ ram, with good build quality, reasonable weight and battery life. A 256GB SSD will run you another £100-130. Done.

I get work, internet and occasionally films done on my very low end C60 powered Asus, fitting a 256GB SSD into it pretty much renders it capable of every common task without any problems.

6. craigp84

craigp84 What's a Dremel?

I'd second this, love them or hate them, you won't find a better quality laptop for the price. What you lose on top end specs, you gain on quality.

Battery life is incredibly good. They're extremely lightweight. These are the most important factors for a laptop IMO.

Runs windows natively very well if MacOS isn't her cup of tea, there's no need to have a MacOs install at all.

Keep an eye on http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air/13 for some refurb models (they are presented as new, it's not like and open and closed box, the go back to the factory, thoroughly cleaned and put in a special "refurbished product" box.

7. Rat1sully

ta for the advice she's going for a lenovo i3 thing